Friday 16 November 2012

Workaholism or just hard work?


Poles are known as hard working people, but are we born workaholics? While we actually do work as hard as we can, we like to take holidays just to work even more (restore our apartments, refresh gardens or help neighbors moving). In Japan, karoshi is a common term meaning "death by overwork", and is estimated to cause 1000 deaths per year, that’s almost 5% of the country's stroke and heart attack deaths among employees under the age of 60. In the Netherlands, on the other hand, there has been observed "leisure illness", a condition which result in physical sickness at weekends and on vacations, when workers are trying to relax. Sounds familiar?
                                                                     


So what is exactly the difference between being a workaholic and a hard working person?

Basically it's the balance in life, where a hard working person can achieve his/her goals and keep his/her job off their life when relaxing. A hard worker will do his job while thinking of resting, while a workaholic will relax while thinking of his job. It's the obsession of work, which is common for most "-holisms", like alcoholism is about  being obsessed with drinking, relatively, workaholism is being obsessed with working.

Here's a little list of things which describes workaholics1:

  • A person takes work with him home and is engage in work during weekends and vacations. 
  • The only activity that he likes is talking about his work.
  • Workaholics work more than 40 hours a week. 
  • Work makes them happier than anything else in their life. 
  • Playtime is a big waste of time for them.
  • They frequently find themselves "solving" work situations in their mind during their "time off".
  • Normally workaholics take complete responsibility for the outcome of their work efforts. 
  • Their family or friends do not expect them on time. 
  • Many workaholics are energetic and competitive person at work , while at home they are lethargic and depressed. 
  • Normally they take on extra work because they are concerned that it won't otherwise get done. 
  • They believe that it is okay to work long hours. 
  • They get impatient with people who have other priorities besides work. 
  • Many workaholics are afraid that if they don't work hard they will lose their job or be a failure. 
  • They are worried even though things are getting well. 
  • They get irritated when people ask them to stop doing their work in order to do something else.
  • They do not care they hurt their family or destroy their  relationships spending time mostly at work. 
  • They always think about their work while driving, falling asleep or when others are talking. 
  • Some workaholics have a tendency to work or read during meals.







If you have answered yes to most of these questions, you may be a workaholic. What then? There are a few ways to get yourself back into health again. First of all , you have to step back and draw a line between work and your personal life, determine your goals for the whole life (not only work goals) and identify actions required to achieve them. Then try to stick to a few simple rules:

Manage your time better:
Review your current work hours, check your priorities. Why do you have to work so much? Where can you spend your time better? If your boss pushes you too hard, try to talk to him, inform his about your needs and concerns.

Don't be perfectionist:
Determine if the level of quality you require from yourself is adequate to results, remember nobody's perfect and sometimes a product will never be finished until it’s perfect, that may save you a lot of time for your personal life.

Don't eat lunch at your desk every day:
Take a break, eat in peace. Those emails can wait, go outside, take a breath.

Learn to be assertive:
Sometimes it's better to say no, know your limits and respect your work. Sometimes doing too much may result not only in workaholism but also in the drop of quality.

Work at home:
If you spend too much time in the office try to start working from home, it may be an easy way to bring your personal life back. Of course it's not possible everywhere, but worth a try.

Use your free time:
If you're a workaholic you've got to have a lot of free days collected on your account, try to use them on a regular basis. Even the knowledge of upcoming holidays will make you feel better, and coming back refreshed after a break will make you more productive. Work hard, but play hard as well.

Questions:
1. Do you consider yourself a hard working person or a workaholic?
2. Do you know any workaholics? What do you think of them?

Sources:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wired-success/201203/workaholism-and-the-myth-hard-work
http://fatherhood.about.com/od/workingfathers/a/workaholism.htm
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=51425
http://spectrum.ieee.org/at-work/tech-careers/workaholism
http://www.charminghealth.com/applicability/workaholism.htm
http://www.usmansheikh.com/success-factors/workaholics-anonymous - pic1
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/jul/21/workandcareers - pic2

1 courtesy of www.charminghealth.com

11 comments:

  1. I consider myself rather like a hard working person than wokraholic. I couldn't answer "yes" on any of those statements. I don't know any workaholics so I can't say anything about them.

    Don't you think that our education system creates "good enviroment" to become workaholic? Teachers give children a lot of home work, so it is impossible to do it at school after class. They have to "bring their work" to home and do them till night. In my opinion the most of teachers want to create little "workaholic", who thinks only about their work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.There is a thin line between being workaholic and hardworking. I am a hardworking person who likes his job and always gives 100 %. I perform every task with the same sense of responsibility and attentiveness. I like to feel appreciated and respected for my job. However,I also understand that I need to relax and unwind whilst I am not at work. Therefore,I try to finish my tasks on time and go home with the clear mind to be able to spend quality time with the family.
    2.I know many people who lose themselves to work. Unfortunately, majority of them become workaholics because of the money. Their work and actions are money driven.People become so obsessed with being rich that they fall into the trap of working 24/7 to have more and more. Doing that their priorities change places. Often workaholics pay the price of success through losing the important people in their lives.Workaholism is a serious problem and ones who are trapped need to seek help in order not to ruin their life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certainly am not a workaholic, and to be honest, I do not know any workaholic, but it may be because they have not worked in any large company, and I did not have much opportunity to come into contact with such people but everything in front of me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely not a workaholic. I respect my free time, although I am a hard worker. Always give and do my best at work, even if I don't always like it. Subsequently I feel good about myself, and don't feel guilty if something goes wrong.

    Though few people in my environment are workaholics, but after reading this article I know that thay're just perfectionists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I'm not a workaholic. I'm studying day and works only occasionally. Also, this is a job that gives me pleasure. Rather, I think that it does not threaten me, because I highly value my free time and the most important for me is family, the money will not give me the time that I lose sitting at work, instead of my loved ones. I don’t know any workaholic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally, I'm not a workaholic, but working in the company p4 met a few people who are. I would add that it is not a pleasant sight, because the people in the company are considered to be role models, they do work in a fast pace and they want the next one, I understand that a man is fighting for bonuses but I personally like a little fight for a job. Unfortunately, not everyone has enough time to devote to work, because they have family responsibilities and eventually a family in our lives should be the most important;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't consider myself as a workaholic nor a hard working person. I think that people should do things that feels like not-work. I know it is an ideal situation and usually it does not exist but I'm sure its possible.
    As it comes to workaholic i don't really understand it, If someone loves his job there is nothing wrong with making it his life. You can love a book,a movie, a job, money or power its your own choise. There are people
    who choose carreir over famili and I don think we should call them names! If we consider those things that describe
    workaholics we would find them in every succsessfull company. If you want a peacfull life and work 8-16 or 9-17
    go work in the shop or a drugstore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. According to the description I am workaholic. Only there is one issue about which there is not no one mentioned. Sometimes the work we are doing is committing. Since then, whether we want to or do not want someone's life may depend. An example of a doctor, lawyer, etc.. From the second I have enough frequent contact because of my work. Lawyers enjoy their work so much that they can not work 8-16. As soon as you keep up the opportunity to do something for himself falls something urgent. Often, a matter with which they deal are large enough that the feeling that work is more important than sleep is so rational explanation for them that they seem to realize that they are doing is against your body. Extreme case of workaholism. For example, I run my own company and quite a big project I am often able to establish a task because I have to combine it with other duties.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do I know any workaholics?Yes I do. Unfortunately a lot of young people fall into this habbit, but not only young. My father is very often at work because he runs his own business, even so he find the time for our family. People whose are not addicted usually can not understand an addicted person and put themselves in their position.
    I guess I did not inherit passion for work from my dad. Belowed laziness! I laze in any free day of a week :P
    Partly I agree with Natalia about school which should teach us a regularity and a skill of active rest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In today's time from an early age we have to think about our future. This is why so many people are starting to work before the study and spend a minimum amount of time to get a college graduation paper. Now matters the experience and contacts that will pay dividends in the future.

    In some industries it is different, but in IT especially matters knowledge of new technology and experience gained working with them in real projects - colleges not provide it.

    That is why many young people are hard at work at the beginning of his career. Unfortunately, at one time, my hard work turned into pracocholizm. This has led to the fact that affected my personal life and my loved ones. Unfortunately, I realized this a little too late.

    I believe that everything is for the people, and every experience strengthens us. However, do not overdo it, because neither extreme is not good. Each of us should strive for to find a way to each other and to choose such a proportion that he was OK.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that the main source of becoming workaholic is the fact that people cannot manage their time well. If they did, they would have more time to relax. Moreover, I consider workaholics as people who do not have their personal lives and are focused on earning money and running away from the unhappy private life. However, it is a paradox because the more they run away from their lives, the more they are likely to let their personal lives disappear. You are just stuck in your dull life, full of routine. Of course, sometimes workaholic might have some benefits such as huge amounts of money, good position, high standard of living etc. and if so, they can continue their lives using everything what they have worked for and thus they might end up very happy. It means that maybe some people spend some time as workaholics just to be in a good financial situation and then profit. I do not perceive myself as a workaholic at all since I am able to manage my time and know where are the borders which are not to be crossed. I know some workaholics and their personal lives are just upsetting. What is more, they know that they spend too much time working but they feel there is no other way of earning money and they just have to be perfectionists. I do not think that it is a good way of solving the problem of unhappy personal life.

    ReplyDelete