Saturday 24 November 2012

Extreme Tourism - Pripyat & Chernobyl



Extreme Tourism  - Pripyat & Chernobyl

Definition:
Extreme tourism is a new form of leisure. It is an alternative kind of holidays. There is no lying and sunbathing in the sun. The idea is aimed at people who lead  monotonous and boring lives. While the practice of extreme sports on holiday does not surprise anyone, exploring abandoned places often taking health risk is already a new of  relaxation.

Extreme tourism’s mecca is Ukraine with its cities of Pripyat and Chernobyl.

How to go on this expedition?
Nowadays everything is a matter of money. There are plenty of companies that organize this type of expedition into the unknown. It is enough to google them.

http://www.losapos.com/chernobyl



Why should we choose guides? They guarantee safety in one of the most dangerous places on earth. Abandoned houses and stuff are one of the many attractions that are already available for 115 euros. Visitors are driven by bus to the ''forbidden zone''  where only people with special permission are allowed.

 

Reactor nr 4:
The place where it all began. The reactor after the explosion was encased in a sarcophagus. Why? The part of the core is still too radioactive to be able to dispose of. Now, after 25 years the impact of radiation sarcophagus is destroyed, its successor is being built.
It will be the largest moveable construction ever made by a man measuring 100m high, 150m long and 200m wide. You can get as close as 200m to the sarcophagus


The interior of the reactor’s 5 block


view of the power complex


google maps

Pripyat ghost city:
Pripyat town was built for the plant personnel. There are now abandoned, ruined  houses. Empty school grounds, public buildings, museums, theatres and left things in a hurry are one of many attractions that await you in this ghost town. By visiting the buildings you can feel its isolation. The city which once was vibrant and full of life suddenly died and was discarded in a few days. Toys, bags, drying laundry, pianos and drawers are what builds its incredible atmosphere of loneliness.



The Pripyat swimming pool and me:













\



The zone:
An exclusion zone of 30 km remains today. Special units of the Ukrainian ministry of internal affairs control the zone. Any residential, civil or business activities in the zone are prohibited and punishable Only those involved with security of land plants and the scientists studying radioactivity have permission to perform work around the area.




10 min footage that shows what you can see while on site

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUeFx2fJSNE



Is it safe?
Officially, the level of radiation on the tourist path is relatively low in the range of 300 to 500 roentgens per hour. Unfortunately, you can still find a lot of heavy items left by firefighters and soldiers.
Crawler cranes and other scrap metal are scattered throughout the area. The radiation level is so high that the measuring devices freak out and stay in a given place causing vomiting and headaches. Maybe I'll talk about how it was with me on my trip in 2010. After a year I have experienced an injury. I had thyroid problems and my hair fell out. It was an expensive and long term treatment. I experienced continuous fatigue and vulnerability to other diseases, intensive weakening of the body. These were typical symptoms of radiation sickness. Now, two years later I'm here and I'm healthy.





Questions:
  1. Have you ever thought of extreme tourism as an alternative to common ways of spending time on  holiday?
  2. What do you think of  people like me who are going to such places?
  3. What other places in the world are as dangerous as Chernobyl but still visited by ‘tourists’?
  4. Name some other extreme kinds of holidays.


Sources:
Private photos of the author
http://www.podniesinski.pl/portal/?p=2901

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extreme sports and tourism Extreme is a strange thing for me. I do not understand why people risk their lives and health just to taste a little bit of adrenaline. What else is the need to perform these activities or being in dangerous places because of their profession or a random event. I realize that the world is a lot of this type. I understand that each new adventure proves that we can do more and also stop to worry about things unknown. I do not understand, however, approach the author and reside at his own request in the radioactive area. For me, this behavior is irresponsible and reckless.

    In my opinion, people who choose this way of life is unpredictable with respect to their health and life. It seems to me that one at his own request would not want to die or get sick from a serious illness. And often these trips end like this. If the trip is pleasing to them OK, but they should do it on your own risk.

    I have enough sensations in the daily activities at home and work. When I want to relax rather run away to a quiet place and not extreme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, first of all, big thx for your pictures, they are really priceless! Really cool thing, to go on such journey full of adventures but the word "hostel" brings goosebumps because of the horror movie :) Anyway, i thought of course of extreme tourism but i think i am not yet ready for such journey, and i guess you had to be really determined to go to Chernobyl. @Cezary , i am also the guy who likes taking risk, and believe me, the moment when the adrenaline kicks in, is the moment of your life, for poeple who likes it, this is what they call life. These few moments of incertainty can help these people live for the rest of their lives. I don't know actually any other places for extreme tourism, but i guess any volcano can be such place also the wilderness and the wildness of the nature could be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking about visiting chernobyl few years ago, I wanted to see it for myself after playing few games from stalker series. Unfortunately it didnt work out and maybe ill catch up somewhere in the future. However I wouldnt consider it as a extreme tourism, visiting prypiat and chernobyl is not that dangerous these days, staying there for few months would be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking about it some time ago. I think this would be really great experience.

    Is it dangerous? Maybe, but I don't think it's more danger than i.e. extreme sports. And there are a lot of people who do extreme sports.

    What do I think about people like you?
    I think you are open-minded and curious about the world. That's good. I think also that everyone of us need some adrenaline in his life. Some people get it by being in such places.

    Some other dangerous places to travel are jungles :D
    I think that visiting jungle in Brasil or some other jungles near the equator are extremally dangerous.

    Also climbing very high is dangerous.

    People are doing it so why don't visit Czernobyl?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No I have not think of extreme tourism as an alternative to common ways of spending time on holiday because of fear :) I don't think it is worth my health.
    I think "nothing" about people who go to such places, till they consider other people lives. If someone want to go even to hell it is his will, but If he would bring infectious disease then I would not zaakceptować such behaviour.
    Nice photos, some of them are realy creepy.

    In my opinion every unplaned and "unprepared" trip is kind of extreme holiday. Even trip to warsaw's praga :)

    I agree with Cezary Brzozowski I accept but don't understand people who risk their lives for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Personally, I like to relax and unwind on my holidays,hence the extreme holidays concept is not my cup of tea. I also have a small son,therefore, I would not envision spending my holidays doing something that could put his life at risk.I like to travel and explore new places,yet the safety is always my priority.
    2. I do not judge people who choose the extreme holidays. Everyone is different and does what makes him/ her happy.I believe that the extreme holidays are for people who like to challenge themselves and feel the adrenaline rush. It is for adventure-seekers who are not afraid of unknown.
    3&4 .I would like answer question 3 and 4 together because I think the answer overlaps. There are many places which are considered extreme tourism such as( source: Wikipedia):

    1. Base jump from the Juche Tower in Pyongyang - DPRK (Democratic People Republic of Korea)

    2.Swimming in the Devil's Pool in Victoria Falls - Zambia and Zimbabwe.
    3. lyover in MiGs at Mach 2.5 over 70,000ft - Russia.
    4. Walk the Plank at Mt. Huashan over 2,000 meters - China.

    All the above places as many others are considered to be the extreme holidays becuase all of them carry some level of risk in them. They are amazing and scary at the same time. Moreover, it is a bit bizarre to see places that used to forbidden or avoided, now are considered to be holidays destination.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all I consider the idea of extreme holidays as very interesting. Especially for people who lead their dull lives without having fun. If they go on an ‘extreme trip’ then they would at least have something to talk about with other people. What is more I think that the idea is actually very encouraging since it has lots of advantages. Like every type of holiday, it shapes our characters and gives us unforgettable experiences. What is more it develops our understanding of the world and also educates us- e.g. people who make a decision to go to Czernobyl have the opportunity to get to know the issue very deeply and then to share their thoughts and experiences with others. Furthermore, the extreme tourism just provides people with unusual fun i.e. there are few ‘extreme’ places where we can go which is not convenient as people’s desire of adrenaline develops every single day! What I would like to point out is the fact that I am glad that there exist some people who are creative and courageous i.e. those who work on this type of tourism and those who decide to try it. Maybe one day I will also do that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures!

    Little bit weird, but still, I love the idea. It's brave. This kind of turism is for the people who likes to get to know things from the insade. Not for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am very intrigued by this article and was intrigued :-) I never thought of such extreme excursions rather I am an advocate of peace and quiet, but such a trip could be really fun and interesting. But I would have to do that because they decided not to care about your health.
    I have a friend who intends to go to Chernobyl just to see how it looks after many years, even suggested to me that I did not want to, but thanked.
    I do not know of other such extreme places, perhaps because it is not interested in that.
    Each travels as he and spends his free time as he wants, and each has its own any interest in a more or less strange, and I respect that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read about it in "POLITYKA" couple years ago and it made great impression on me. Abandoned city of Pripyat is terrifying view, but in some strange way also amazing, mysterious and "out of this world". I dont think I would like to go there myself - mostly because of the radiation I dont want to have anything in common :) I know that areas visited by tourists are "safe", but still... Besides knowing the history behind this place makes the trip very sad.

    What is worth to mention - Pripyat and Czernobyl is often used in video games. Most of you probably remember the great sequence from "Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare". Not to mention "Stalker".

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some people prefer to "live peacefully" at home, and only from time to time they might go on holiday to popular touristic places like Mazury or Egypt.  Others need to feel that they live -- they need adrenaline; and only spending time actively and risky allows them to feel that they are actually ‘alive’.

    I do not agree with Natalia, who said that such trips are risking your lives for nothing, since I believe that we are risking our life every time we wake up. Indeed, you are risking your life every time you drive a car or board a plane, and you can even die accidentally in your own home. Therefore, you shouldn’t be afraid of taking a risk in your life.

    Overall, I think that people who decide to go on extreme holidays are really brave and adventurous. I do envy PrzemekM for his amazing adventure. I love to travel, and I hope that one day I will also visit Chernobyl and Pripyat.

    ReplyDelete