Sunday 4 May 2014

[Week 8] Leader vs Commander

Today’s IT business is focused on project-style work and requires certain assets like human resources, know-how, tools and effective management. I want to focus on the last one.  In my opinion the most important is the project manager’s role and his interactions with other team members and employees. I want to focus on his roles. Before that I would like to explain who the project manager is.
Who is the project manager? Let’s use the definition from Wikipedia : “A project manager is a professional in the field of project management. Project managers can have the responsibility of the planning, execution and closing of any project[…]” (source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_manager ). Usually the project manager is either outsourced from another company,  is a hired self-employed project manager or is chosen internally by the business owner of a project. The Project manager is responsible for the whole ( internal and external ) project its schedule, budget, business meetings with  subcontractors and end users. For better illustration of importance and roles of PM let’s use PRINCE2 Foundation-based project structure :
Project Board ( Business Owner, Development Owner, other
Project Manager
Project Management Office
Stream Manager
Team Leader
Team worker

I do believe that you now know the importance of the project manager in companies. Let’s move to the core of my article : Leader vs Commander as Project Manager archetype. Which is better? What differs them? What do they have in common? Let’s answer these questions.
Difference
The commander is a more autocratic style of management. He has mission, he has targets to achieve and he has resources to achieve goals. He does not care about emotions and needs of his subordinates but he isn’t a tyrant. The commander puts stress on plans, agreements and main schedule he prepared for his people. The commander is effective in business terms and in situations requiring cold blood.
The leader is an open person who treats his subordinates nearly equally  to himself. He doesn’t gives orders that are not suitable for any person. He puts needs of his team and emotions in front of business needs but it doesn’t mean that he is light-headed and unreasonable with his decisions. The leader has natural charisma to lead people to achieve his goals, he respects and identifies needs and emotions within team members and finds solutions to problems inside the team.
Similarities
Both of archetypes have one important similarity : realizing a project, although they have different ways to do it. The commander plans every move ahead. The leader creates a will to go forward inside his subordinates. There are many other things they have in common. They’re both focused on their teams. These are the main factors which are exactly the same. They both use all project-management and classical leadership and management techniques but they differ in style of usage. Generally the commander is like a war machine focused on a target and the leader can be compared to charismatic leaders of revolutions.
Winner?
Nobody J Both archetypes are perfect for certain situations. From my perspective and experience the Project Manager should be flexible but stable. So when you play the role of a leader you should become the commander for a while. It is important to be between them because your team members require both archetypes at the same time.
Questions:
1.       Based on your work experience, which archetype is the most popular in Polish companies?
2.       Which one do you prefer and why?
Sources:


Czesław Sikorski, Zachowania ludzi w organizacji

8 comments:

  1. I think in IT project manager is more common position. In my opinion the reason is that in poland we often work in projects.
    Teams are build for some concrete work that has start and end date. Of Course this is not true for companies that deliver some services where people work depends on situations for ex. helpdesk.
    I have project oriented work. I don't have enough experience in working with leader, so i can't say what I prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.Based on your work experience, which archetype is the most popular in Polish companies?
    Way to general question. It differs from company to company. Family type relationships can work for some. The most that I have seen are run by commanders.
    2.Which one do you prefer and why?
    Commanders. where would be the respect when Your boss would treat You as an equal? You're not equal. He IS Your boss... Leader archetype is for people not strong enough to be a commander...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I had this kind of "leader" once, and what you write about is an ideal, utopic version of him. Being light-headed almost always comes along way with non-autocratic way of management. The worst person you can work for as a project maker is someone who doesn't really know what he wants, gives you a lot of freedom and then says "oups, it's not what I meant at all".

    But yeah, it's very hard to speak about this subject while doing a project-oriented work, so...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @PrzemekM
    But in every work there comes stabilization or destabilization of your superior. So it's usually "my way or high way"
    @armandstanczak
    Being authoritative and not respecting your subordinates is not way of proper management.
    @Martyna Zych
    I also work in project-oriented organisation and I have no problem with lots of given freedom, because I know what are my goals and time of deadlines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Based on your work experience, which archetype is the most popular in Polish companies?
    I don't have much experience and the only kind of archetype I run into is the Leader.

    2. Which one do you prefer and why?
    Like I said I only met the Leader, and I liked it. He cared for our needs and atmosphere. Working with him was real pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Based on my work experience, the commander archetype is the most popular in Polish companies, but it changes to the Leader style because people starts to not feel well at the company which has only commanders. They feel like robots, not like people. I think the best it to combine thease two styles and use them when there is need. Some workers needs more strict leadership and others prefer freedom. A good leader cannot talk and work with everyone in the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My work experience is close to none. I’ve worked only in one very small company. In this company the boss behaved more like a Commander than a Leader. He was giving commands and tasks to be done. Everything was very well organized. The type of work we were doing was rather simple and did not require any special inspiration. The goal was to complete a project on time and within a budget. To sum up, he adjusted his style of management to the situation.
    Like you said, the perfect Project Manager has to be both a commander and a leader. I like to work in a nice atmosphere, which a good leader can create but I also have to be focused on my goal, which I can reach better and faster with a good commander.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lacking the experience of being a part of a big company (thankfully) I don't know how to answer the first question. Most of the time I've been the one to decide what I do and how I do it, and all the "boss" did say is the expected final result.
    I guess when there's a lot of people involved you have to control them somehow, and I believe it's enough to tell everyone what they need to do, and let them do it the right way. That is, of course, if the leader/commander/whatever really knows what he is doing.

    ReplyDelete