Sunday 4 May 2014

[Week 8]: Cars that shouldn't be invented

This article will be very subjective. It will present  my greatest passion : cars. I think that discussion about great cars from history would take a whole book to cover 10% of great cars J so let’s discuss the worst cars in two aspects: ugliest cars and technical failures. I would be more than happy to learn your opinions and models.
Ugly section
·         Fiat Multipla I ( 1998 – 2010 )
When people look at this… dolphin-like car there can appear only one emotion: either you like the design of this minivan or you hate it. I never liked that car and thought a lot about how such a car could be bought and driven by anyone. I have heard that fan groups of Multipla even are in Poland! I was shocked!
·         Pontiac Aztek 2001 – 2005
The Aztek violates one of the principal rules of car design: We like cars that look like us. With its multiple eyes and supernumerary nostrils, the Aztek looks deformed and scary and hideous. I would never ever drive it even if someone offered me a lot of money. This car is awful. Not only by design rules but also technical and interior. It looks cheap and is cheap. A friend of mine got one Aztek imported from US by his uncle. He bought a new model and it broke after one year. This model in comparison to Multipla case is hideous and not durable.
·         Aston Martin Cygnet ( 2011 – 2013 )
When I first learnt about Aston Martin making a tiny car based on Toyota’s IQ platform I wouldn’t believe it, especially that I learned about that on April’s Fools 2010. After that I forgot about that little monstrosity for a year when I saw one Cygnet near Złote Tarasy. I was terrified that such a car ever left factory. I know that we shouldn’t categorize and simplify brands but I think that Aston Martin shouldn’t make cars like that. Even though its interior looks unexpectedly good and engines are bad ( they’re nearly the same like Toyota IQ ) I would not buy new A-segment car for a horrendously high price starting from 160 000 PLN.
Technical failures
·         Lancia Delta HF Integrale ( 1979 – 1994 )
I love motorsports and Lancia Delta HF Integrale is one of rally symbols of 80’s along with Audi Quattro. I have driven that car a few times on a race track and off-road and I fell in love with it. Only one factor ruins my vision and nullifies my wish to buy this car : quality and intense and costly repairs. My friend has one,  in the same color as above ( with standard 2000 ccm engine reaching 220 Horse Power ). He told me that he would never make the same mistake to buy an Italian car. If you want to use any used Italian car you should have unlimited money for repairs. It’s a pity because that car has lot of fun factor for car enthusiasts like myself.
·         Jaguar E-Type series III ( 1971 – 1975 )
Why would I put one of the most beautiful cars ever made on the list of technical failures? Even though the design is near to perfection its engine can be tricky. Many models of E-Type III have problems with engine parts. It is sad, because they cost a lot on the second-hand market but obtaining original parts is nearly impossible or costs  much more. . In total : That big car needs a big and full wallet.

Questions:
1.       What cars would you add to both lists?

2.       What is more important in cars for you? Look and design or durability ?

14 comments:

  1. I would add to this list cars like:
    - smart and golf III
    Smart because this car is so unsafe for driver and passengers. Is small and when you have accident for 100% the car does not absorb impact energy. Also this car doesn't look like true car :)
    golf because this car is often chosen by the most stupid drivers in poland.
    For me most important in the car should be safety. The second is economic. Maybe someday i will say design :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My list could be updated of many cars :) I agree that people in sportswear crushed idea of Golf model as cheap, reliable town car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1.What cars would you add to both lists?
    I'll get a lot of hate, but - every fast car. If someone buy a sports car, he needs to go through a racing training. Otherwise, gtfo with Your fancy vehicle.
    2.What is more important in cars for you? Look and design or durability ?
    Durability. Design/looks are important, don't get me wrong, but buying a car just by looking at it is pure stupidity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know a lot about car models, but honestly, I have a some weird nostalgic feeling while looking at ugly cars and I wouldn't mind having one, if it was safe and well-built in terms of its guts. Just like I like ugly animals, I would love to have a dolphin-like Fiat. It's so funny I would be the happiest driver ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, but yeah, I hate Smarts. I treat people in Smarts like bicycle riders.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @armandstanczak
    1.
    That's little... offensive but everyone has right to tell opinion.
    2.
    Would You buy extremely ugly car even if it would be funcional?

    @Martyna Zych
    Kudos to that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totalny agree – the Fiat Multipla is probably the ugliest car I’ve ever seen. People say it’s practical and comfortable. It’s got three seats in the front… it’s good, but you have to close your eyes before getting in – it’s that difficult to look at this car!
    The Pontiac Aztek – I guess I haven’t seen this one, but in the pictures it looks really bad!
    I like the HF Lancia Delta Integrale! It looks like a toy :)
    The Jaguar E-Type series III – wow, it’s beautiful! I’m not at all surprised that parts for this car are expensive. You want cheap parts? Buy a Multipla :)
    I’m not a car expert, but I will say something about the looks.
    For me, the most beautiful cars are:

    The Citroen DS
    http://s1.blomedia.pl/autokult.pl/images/2011/06/Citroen-DS.jpg

    and the old Saab 900
    http://www.valmet-automotive.com/automotive/images.nsf/files/ebf1fdcc5ffdd511c2257137005314b4/$file/saab900_w500.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. What cars would you add to both lists?
    I would only add Fiat Multipla I few times more to ugly section. Just to emphasize how ugly it is. As with technical failures I would have to first buy a car. I have a real gift in choosing worst possible models of... everything.

    2. What is more important in cars for you? Look and design or durability?
    Looks are quite important, but you can get used to them pretty quickly. As for durability, if something is working badly then you will always see it and get angry about it. Especially when you already had better working model.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is hard for me to say, beacuse I don't know many car models and their parameters, but I agree that "dolphin-car" is the most ugliest car in the world! I would not buy a car just for the look and design if I know that it probably will broke. The car is for driving not to stand in front of the garage. Also I have to admit, that look is important thing, even if Multipla would be the most durable car in the world I would not buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fiat Multiplas is definitely the most ugly car ever made. But the positive side of it that there are funny memes about it ☺ For example: http://cdn.arwrath.com/3/35465.jpg
    I disagree that the Aston Martin Cygnet is terrible, only the price is crazy. It looks a little bit like a Smart and in my opinion it’s quite cute. I think Lancia Delta HF Integrale and Jaguar E-Type series III both have a style and they look very attractive.
    I’m also a huge fan of cars. For me design of a car is very important. I think I would never buy a car that doesn’t look good to me. Of course reliability has also significant meaning. I know that buying a wrong car can later cost you a fortune. And that’s why I drive a Volvo C30 ;). I call my car Edward and Edward is just amazing.


    ReplyDelete
  12. @everyone
    So Multipla is one common "ugly" point in nearly everyone's mind. That's... good to know :)

    Both Lancia and Jag sadly spoken are terrible in terms of technical factors or durability. But effort can be fruitful ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. As long as it won't fall apart on a narrow road in the middle of nowhere, and the repairs won't cost as much as a new one every few months, I say it's cool.
    I'd prefer a sturdier, uglier car which can survive a lot and be fixed easily, with some knowledge, to a nice-looking modern one, where nothing can be replaced without a computer and custom tools.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What cars would you add to both lists?
    Maybe.. PT Cruiser.
    The cruiser was meant to look retro but some styles shouldnt be recycled. The bodys oversized face and grill are flashy. The front wheel housing is inexplicably long extending back into the front door. The flared logo on the hood attempts to convey regality but the cruiser just cant back it up.
    What is more important in cars for you? Look and design or durability?
    I would say its durability but ones when I was looking for a car I found mechanical pearl. It was VW polo. I was trying but look at this mthrfckr. Never.

    ReplyDelete