Sunday 11 May 2014

Week 9: Diet for brain




The session is fast approaching ... exams, projects program completion, BSc Thesis... At this time, our brain is extremely busy, we require the long hours of work in full swing. So it is worth taking care of its proper functioning. Are liters of coffee or energy drinks enough? Definitely not. How to increase the efficiency of the brain (the most complicated organ in the human body)


We start with diet!


For the effective work of our brain there is necessary rational and nutritious diet. With carefully selected ingredients we strengthen our concentration, memory and efficient thinking. Just in your daily menu, take into account the products that are not only tasty, but will affect our IQ.

The brain, although 2% of body weight, absorbs 20% of the supplied energy to the organism and 20% of the inhaled oxygen. (Magistretti, Allaman; 2013



BASIC FUEL - GLUCOSE

 

It is important that glucose does not come from products such as coke or sugar. Eat complex carbohydrates, which are gradually released into the body, provide energy for an extended period and do not lessen our concentration. These features are best met  by carbohydrates from whole-grain cereal products . A portion of wholemeal bread or porridge for breakfast will give your brain a good start in the first hour of the day. Fruits and vegetables as well. 
Source
Limit your intake of sweets. It is true that they provide large amounts of energy and improve mood, but for a very short period of time, followed by a sharp decline in form. If you are planning to learn for a longer period of time, avoid sweets, white bread, chips.

FATS

 

Unsaturated fatty acids are most preferred for the brain. They can be found in fish oil or flax oil, as well as seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin or in walnuts. Omega- 3 - improves blood circulation in the brain supporting the learning process. It has been proven that docosahexaenoic acid is essential for the normal development of the nervous system, can also prevent and /or delay cognitive impairment in mild cases of AD [Hashimoto, Hossain, 2011; Walczewska et al., 2011].

Studies on rats demonstrated that administration of walnuts, significantly improved their intellectual functioning, learning and memory [Haider et al., 2011].
But remember that these are high-calorie products - 10 units per day are enough.





Just swap sticks, chips and other snacks for healthy nuts or sunflower. Your brain will appreciate it, memorizing faster and keeping it longer.


VITAMINS

Another important part of your diet should be vitamins. Which particular? In the process of memorizing the most important role is played by vitamins B1, B12, B6, niacin and folic acid – they help in creating and repairing of brain tissue. Decreasing mental ability can be prevented by consuming vitamin C, E and beta-carotene - which are antioxidants and arm our brain against damage [Leszczyńska, Pisiulewski; 2004]. Folic acid - is involved in the production of serotonin (a neurotransmitter) whose deficiency causes fatigue and distraction of mind [Karakuła et al., 2009].

An excellent source of vitamins and antioxidants are natural fruits and vegetables - bilberry, black currant, strawberries, cherries, asparagus, radishes, tomatoes, cabbage, lettuce and sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, turnips, peppers, spinach . B vitamins are present in large quantities in animal products and all kinds of nuts and seeds. Just as well as the previously mentioned whole grains are also good sources of these vitamins.



Daily nutrition affects the functioning of our brain. Through our choices we can improve mood, learning ability and concentration. It is important that the menu must be varied which will help us to provide all the necessary ingredients for our nervous system.



Question time:

  1. I have listed only a few nutrients that help our  brain. There are many more. Maybe you know any examples?
  2. Does diet affect on your concentration?






13 comments:

  1. As for me, I can tell that I cannot work or study when I am hungry;)
    Probably there exists corelation between what you eat and how your brain works and you can enhance your efficiency by proper diet, but I am not an expert on that topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great timing with this topic, I've just started my "session diet" - I can really feel the improvement in thinking and doing a lot of project work when I eat healthy food. During times like this (just before my final MA exeam!), there's nothing better than freshly mixed vegetables in creamy, spicy soups. For me, it really works - a diet combined of spicy meals, vegetables, fruits and very, very little meat (if any). Unfortunately, caffeine really helps, but in small doses only. One sugary energetic drink every few days puts me on my feet, but it's not healthy at all.

    One thing I won't recommend to anyone - caffeinated medicines, like "Sesja" pills. It's like a huge dose of waking up immediately and being exhausted of your whole life right after, without the ability to fell asleep again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Tomek I also can not work when I'm hungry :) Do you think that the information in the presentation may be useful? maybe you can use them in practice?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) I have listed only a few nutrients that help our brain. There are many more. Maybe you know any examples?
    Depends what You mean by nutrients. Some physical activities with a different gender supposedly improve brain activity rate ;)
    2) Does diet affect on your concentration?
    I don't mind working on empty stomach. Even for extended periods of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Martyna thank you for your comment. You wrote that in your diet you have a little meat (if any) Do you want to become a vegetarian? If so, it just takes Week of Vegetarianism in Poland. It’s true that today is Saturday, but if you're in Warsaw maybe you can visit tomorrow "Wege-Market, Family Picnic and Cooking Clash" details at this link http://tydzienwege.pl/plan-imprezy.
    Did you know? Survey conducted in 2013 by the Institute of Public Opinion Research - Homo Homini shows that 1.6%, which is about half a million Poles used a vegetarian diet (doesn’t eat meat and fish, and the basis for their food are dairy products, eggs, vegetables and fruits). Another 1.6%. people are vegan, which restricts their diet only to plant products.
    Do you think it’s safe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ armandstanczak by nutrients I mean food. So maybe you know any more food ingredients, except those mentioned in the presentation, which has a positive influence on the brain?

    You don’t mind working on empty stomach? How did you do that? Only thing I can do when I'm hungry is to think about food :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your presentation. It’s really good to learn how to strengthen our brain before finals. Unfortunately I don’t know any more nutrients than those, which you have listed.
    For me, it’s obvious that diet affect our concentration. Glucose is direct nutrition for our brain and it’s important to keep it on an accurate level. We supply those sugars with food, so it’s significant for our learning process to keep our diet well balanced.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. I have listed only a few nutrients that help our brain. There are many more. Maybe you know any examples?
    I only knew that fish are good for brain, and that magnesium helps in concentration. Aside from that I now know that changes in diet have to be made.

    2. Does diet affect on your concentration?
    Yup, I can work on empty stomach, but when I'm full I suddenly get sleepy

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1.I haven't heard of more nutrients which could help our brain , but recently I found out that physical exercises really affects my brain's activity- of course I'm very tired after trainings which I started, but I really feel that that kind of relax for brain makes it work better.
    2. Of course! I use both healthy and unhealthy methods. In the text it was mentioned that coke is not a good source of sugar..well- it is but I use in “emergency” situations. I also drink coffee several times a day. For my defence - I don't eat any sweets and I make myself carrot, apple,or cabbage juice:) - these tricks works for my everyday concentration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1.Unfortunately no. I don't think about what is good for my brain when choosing what to eat.
    2. Yes, lack of food affect my concentration. When I don't eat anything for 12 hours straight I can't concentrate at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1.Unfortunately no. I don't think about what is good for my brain when choosing what to eat.
    2. Yes, lack of food affect my concentration. When I don't eat anything for 12 hours straight I can't concentrate at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find it hard to concentrate when I'm hungry, although sometimes if I get really absorbed in something, I seem not to notice that.
    I've never really thought about what effect might my diet have on my brain - I'm just trying not to starve while doing lengthy projects or stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not really Im not the expert. Im trying to eat healthy and probably
    if something is good for your body its also works for the brain.
    I think you can do or eat anything but use your head.
    There is time for playing it safe and there is a time for risky business.

    ReplyDelete