Monday 19 May 2014

[Week 10] Responsible for food

Have you ever wondered what alternatives for buying food in supermarkets are?
Are you exhausted thinking which “bio” product is really healthy and worth a higher price?
There are some ways to avoid asking yourself these questions.
In some cheap Polish supermarkets on the same shelves where you can buy vegetables or fruits from other countries you can choose Polish products- why it is better to do so? Because supporting Polish farming causes shorter way of transportation, which is good for the environment. Besides, the prices of the products are getting lower when the demand is growing. Another essential reason is the fact the majority of Polish products are simply healthier- especially when you choose seasonal vegetables and fruits. There's no need to grow them with the use of chemistry, when the transportation is shorter.
When you're wondering which fish you should choose not to kill a dolphin you can just check:

I try to do so, and some time ago I also had an opportunity to buy eggs from a farmer who lives near Warsaw. I think it is a great idea to find such solutions. I'm sure that the eggs I'm eating are the best quality and the farmer is happy because of growing incomes. More and more friends are asking me to buy eggs also for them.
There are some food cooperatives in Warsaw, which works like that. People who work for such cooperatives bring food from verified farmers and sell them in Warsaw. The prizes aren't high because these organizations are based on the group's work- nobody takes money for preparing and sharing the food.

For those who have some time and good will there are more options. My friend gave me a self-help book about alternatives for a dominant food system. There are lots of solutions to provide yourself with healthy food . Fashion for growing vegetables on balconies and terraces in big cities is disseminating. It is very popular in Barcelona and Paris.

Questions:

1.What do you do to be a responsible consumer?Please share you ideas.
2.Have you ever heard about food cooperatives or balcony farming, do you think you could join one?
3.Do you feel the difference in taste between healthy food and the one which is full of chemistry?Maybe you have some food-memories from childhood which you'd love to recall?

sources:

4 comments:

  1. 1.What do you do to be a responsible consumer?Please share you ideas.
    Well, it depends. If I do have the time to go to local market - sure, why not. But if I have to make it like a special trip just to go to the market (considering I'm working full time, studying full time) - no. Just no. Foods in supermarkets are as good if not even better that the ones You can buy at local markets. Local farmers are not controlled in any way - so You never know what they put into their produce, where at the same time supermarkets have trial for every product they want to put on shelves. To sum up - I prefer supermarkets.
    2.Have you ever heard about food cooperatives or balcony farming, do you think you could join one?
    I grow my own herbs. The smell is just amazing.
    3.Do you feel the difference in taste between healthy food and the one which is full of chemistry
    To be honest, there aren't any food products which are without additives. And what do You mean by chemicals? Vitamin C is a chemical molecule. Bananas are genetically modified, so we can eat them. But somehow when big corporation add something else to increase the taste or make it last longer - everyone gets touchy.
    4) Maybe you have some food-memories from childhood which you'd love to recall?
    I'm speechless. you mean like memories of foods from my childhood? Sure! Many. I ate like everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Like @armandstanczak said, buying at local markets can be great for the taste of food, for one's health, and the local farming and economy, but it could be also risky. If the farmer, you're buying products from, isn't the person that you trust, you can easily catch diarrhea, at best case.
    When I'm buying, for example garlic, even in supermarket, I try to get one that has polish origin, because its quality and taste is much better than foreign ones.
    2. Balcony farming? Yes, I heard about this, I think it's a great idea but I don't think I could join to this movement. Think I just don't have enough perseverence for plants nor veggies.
    3. Yes, think I can in most cases. Of course I'm not like Magda Gessler, but I'm quite sure I can sense the difference between natural grown food and supported by preservatives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Definitely I see the difference in quality of food. If I buy it in Tesco, especially vegetables, are not so fresh as those from the local market.
    2.Yes, I heard of it, but I am not an enthusiast of gardening. I am too lazy.
    3.Definitely - you can feel it especially in meat. Packed meat, which is mostly sold in supermarkets has no taste and is pumped with water to make its volume bigger. While good, fresh meat, especially after frying it, does not loose so much on weight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Firstly I try to read the ingredients. It is always good to know what you're eating after all. But on the other hand sometimes I don't get all that E550, E600 so its is hard. I also like to buy produts that are polish ones… Yes I did heard of such thing and I am really considering joyning one…It is such a great idea but it is time consuming..Yes I definately do, especially in bread. I love a great healthy almost home made slice of bread - it reminds me my childhood according to your last question:P

    ReplyDelete