Monday 25 November 2013

Week 9: St. Andrew's Day

I think we're all familiar with the St. Andrew's Day, which in Poland is known as Andrzejki. It is a feast day celebrated on the 30th of November. The date is approaching, so it's good to know few facts about it.


Saint Andrew was one of the 12 apostles. The story has it that after the death of Jesus Andrew was travelling and teaching about the word of God. Eventually he died for his believes on a X-shaped cross. Nowadays he's the patron of Scotland, Greece and Russia. The tradition of celebrating St. Andrew's Day comes most likely from Scotland. It is said that the cross on Scottish flag comes from the one Andrew died on. Now in Scotland it's celebrated pompously, with lots of dances and singing. But how it looked like at its beginning?

(Source: 


The time when this tradition originated isn't known. In Poland the term "Andrzejki" was first used by Marcin Bielski in his play in 1557. But it was already used by Europeans in XII century. Fortunetelling was really popular back then, but at the beginning it was meant only for young girls. Boys had their own day - the 24th of November which was St. Catherine's day. People believed that the night between the 29th and the 30th was the only time when magic was available for everyone. It was believed that the spirits who could tell the future arrived at this time. Girls, mostly unmarried, were practicing divination mostly to know about their future love.
The first well-known ritual was pouring wax, tin or lead (lead was said to bring luck) through a keyhole to a bowl with cold water. The key was the symbol of fertility and mystery, it opened the variety of possibilities in future. Then, when the liquid was solidified, girls put it out to see a shadow it casted. It was supposed to give the answer, if the girl will be married, go to convent or die. The answer depended only on imagination, but any symbol they came up with had its own significance. For example, a branch or a flower had a double meaning: a girl could have become a bride really soon or a spinster. There was also this belief that marriage foreseen with lead would be much more permanent than the one foreseen with wax.

(Source: http://alternatywnie.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/andrzejki.jpg)
Another popular way for fortunetelling was looking into a well. In moonlight a girl could see a face of her future husband.  Yet another one was a barking dog. The place from where it was barking was the direction the future love will come from. A way to know his name was to write down numerous of names on sheets of paper and put them under a pillow for the night. In the morning the first name the girl would take out, was the name her future husband would have. The first girl to be married was chosen in a different ritual. Girls lined up their shoes in a room till they touched the wall. The last shoe touching the wall won. 


In time, the feast became collective, both for girls and boys. Many countries created their own customs. 


In southern Poland people believed that St. Andrew's night was the time when all the witches and ghost came to steal cow's milk. To prevent that, people marked their doors with garlic in a cross sign. Garlic was believed to have its own magical properties. When a girl ate 3 cloves of garlic she could have a dream about her true love.
In the eastern parts of Poland people were eavesdropping by their neighbors' windows. When they heard a word "yes" they knew a marriage will be soon. Any other word meant that it wasn't time for that yet. In the west girls put together 3 candle wicks which were the symbols of a wife, a husband and a priest. It brought them great luck in marriage. They were also praying a lot.
Nowadays, the St. Andrew's Day is still celebrated but with a pinch of salt. People still enjoy carrying on this tradition, creating more games and rituals that predict the future or just bring luck.





Questions:
Have you ever tried any St. Andrew's Day's fortune-telling?
Do you know any other rituals?
Are you planning to celebrate St. Andrew's Day this year?­

9 comments:

  1. I never tried any fortune-telling. I do not believe in this telling . But I think it can be nice fun with friends . I've heard only about pouring wax through a keyhole to a bowl with cold water. It was never interesting for me but in this year I would try some of fortune-telling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that we were celebrating that day in the first years of primary school. Not sure what was that exactly, for sure we were pouring wax through a keyhole and doing that thing with making line by shoes. Since times around end of primary school I completely forgot about that day. I hear about it from time to time but usually it's not associated with any plans of celebration. Before, it could be another occasion to drink with friends but even those times passed

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried the keyhole one, but honestly I think that our Slavic traditions are pretty limited in this case. The fortune telling results are simple - "am I gonna get married or not?", "who's the name of my future lover?" etc. - but I'm already married, so what's my fortune? :) Even before, I prefered tarot - I don't really believe in fortune telling, but at least the images on cards are nice and there are more options than "love or respect".

    Alas, let's not forget the origins of this day and remember that it's also the name day of every Andrzej you know - so get your gift cards and warm words, drink a beer or two with fellow Andrzejs and have a good time, with old rusted keys or without them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me it is a day like any other day of the year :). The only thing I associate it's fun in elementary school. I remember that there were divinations associated with the setting of shoes in line, cards floating on the water and, of course, pouring the wax :). Now there is no time to 'foretell'. Besides, all my keys aren't have holes, so how am I supposed to foretell? :) Maybe we can go back to the time of childhood! Then everything was simple and funny: D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really know what to say. The only thing coming to my mind when I think of Andrzejki is elementary school and doing some peculiar "fortune telling". I have never seen anyone celebrating it since then. It's one of those "calendar special days" that I have no clue or care about what they mean.. I guess I'm ignorant to Polish holidays, but most of them come from things that I have no clue why they had to be celebrated at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately I didn't celebrate st-andrews day this year. I was travelling. Although, my little brothers name is Andrew, so my celebration is a little bit different from usual ;)
    Anyway, I use to do all this st andrews stuff, predictions etc, but eventually I stopped. Because when my brother came to age, we wen't drinking :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every reason is good to drink a pint of beer with friends, I think :) I don’t celebrate “Andrzejki” in any way thesedays, but I do remember wax pouring in primary school. But even then it was rather a great way to avoid regular lessons and I haven’t been giving any special attention to those fortune telling rituals. However, I remember that in one ritual children had to peel apples and whose peeling was the longest, the one would die the last. When I think about that now, I am not sure if the ritual was appropriate in primary school...

    ReplyDelete
  8. When i was younger, every year i organize fortune-telling. But the most popular was keyhole one. But for now... i didn't really enjoy it... don't know why.. I think we are just to old...
    I remembered this year about it because i have ealier "katarzynki" day when men fortune -telling for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just like Simon S said St. Andrews days is one of those holidays that you celebrate in primary school and don’t hear about it afterwards. I’m not that type of a person that believes in all of this fortunetelling. However none the less it was good to read an article with a bit of history behind all of this…

    ReplyDelete