Thursday 28 November 2013

Week 9: Dreams

All articles that I wan't to write, are those without any youtube videos, nor photos. I would love to give some tips on teaching kids, how to make them listen, but it wouldn't suffice.
So I will talk about dreams, and chasing them. Something quite personal, a little bit like an entery to a diary...
When I finished high-school I wen't to Brussels. I didn't know what to study, what to do with myself, and so I decided to take a year off. It didn't work that way. I was there four whole, wonderful years.
I remember that few months before my departure I was very exited. Finally, on my own! I would be the queen of myself! But as the date was approaching, I started to be terrified. What if I wouldn't find my place? But my parents pushed me to this bus, taking me to Brussels, and 24 hours later I was on my own, alone, in an unknown city, not knowing the language or anyone. Three months later (after a period of being completely lost) I passed my exams to an artistic school, and six months later I was fluent in french. Then I decided to prolongue my "year off". I wantesd to finish graphic novels studies. And I did. I got a degree I wouldn't even dream about in high-school. I came back to Poland very satisfied of myself.
I would love to repeat that experience with my husband. But he's in the stadium of being affraid. Our plan is to go for a six month internship in New York (yes, we are fully aware that it's nearly impossible), and then go for our 6 month trip trough USA. For us it's our last moment. In next few years we're planning on having a bunch of kids, finding a steady job. So it's now or never. But again, we're terrified. We have no idea, what will happen in US, what to expect, if we're going to return and when we would, if we'd find a job. Those kind of questions you start to ask, when you grow up. It sucks...
But you know what? Even thought we're affraid, we're still gonna at least try to do it. We're going for it. We're making a leap of faith. We're risking everything to chase our dream.


Do you have dreams? What kind? Do you chase them, and how?
If you don't do it, why? You know, that the only thing, that stops you from bringing this dream alive is you?

Here's some video touching this subject :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pFv0qM6vmI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

8 comments:

  1. I always had dreams and always chased them. I went to the university I really wanted to study at and am doing Master's degree now, have a job of a kind I really wanted to do, I traveled the countries I wanted to and even lived in some of them.

    I think most of my dreams were coming true in some way, but the disappointing thing is that they are never the same as in our imagination. Sure, you can live great moments and they shape your perspective of the world. At that point once you experience something you really wanted, the experience is very different because your perspective has been altered by actually experiencing it in reality. For instance, if you dream about visiting a country, you imagine being there and the feel of it in a certain way and dream of going there.. and as soon as you get there, you see how it is in reality. Even if it's still great, it feels way different. So don't be disappointed by your dreams.

    Another thing is, once you achieve something you dreamt of, after a while it becomes normal and you have new, higher dreams to chase. The point is to enjoy the dream itself as it usually feels better than actually being there for a while. And also, enjoy chasing the dream. It's not the finish line that counts, it's the trip that is always the best ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have great way of thinking. At least you will have some good memories and experiences from that time. However, the difference between real plans and dreams lays in your wallet. I think that it's better to be sure if we really can afford for such plans. I decided to collect some money first, invest them and after that spend as much as I can on things which I always wanted to do and for trips to places which I want to see. Now I try do do as much as I can to make it real. I treat dreams rather as a goal which is able to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chasing the dreams is the greatest goal in life itself, just like the road can be even better than destination. I'm probably lucky, but almost all of my dreams came true without the special, organised chase. I have a theory that good things just happen in my life because of the work I'm putting on myself and the whole karma thing. I try to be good to others and keep on working - eventually it pays off. Being spontaneous and brave is absolutely required for this quality of living, though. You worked hard, got you money, have a dream of going to US, but wait, you don't have a car yet, what about buying a house, saving, what about your future children... Just forget it and fly. That's what I'm trying to do and this attitude has already given me a lot of stories that I can tell to my future grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspiring story Dalvia!
    Everybody has dreams, me too.
    Dreams that are myself ambitions or just my inner need. I think my are about future self development. Targets that in this moment are quite far away can be for example in next year reality.
    Dreaming is a first step to moving on, because we want it.
    But yes, there are some things that stops us.
    In my case, work, school, and people close to me.It would be selfish to focus on my dreams only, not looking at others.
    Sometimes I dream about one year off. Go somewhere far away to feel some real wildness of some culture.
    I keep finger crossed for your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very personal presentation :) I think everybody chasing their dreams. Some of them are more realistic and some not. I do have a small dream and in a few days it's going to come true (I'm soooo happy). I've always wanted to have a pet, but I never had a chance to get it. My family always had opinion, that animals are dirty and they don't gives any satisfaction to owner. I totally disagree!

    I love animals and soon, cat name's Fabio, going to be my first fulfilled dream :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I had a hard time recently and many of my dreams I had to put on a side track… On the other hand, those difficult experiences made me focus on my current situations. I am still learning to live in the moment, but I must admit that this helps me to lower my frustration. Some could say I gave up on dreaming and accepted my situation, but I think I have just started to fulfilling my everyday dreams. It’s easier especially when the long term might not come.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have dreams I think everyone has them. But sometimes it is hard to remember them. The minute I wake up I know what I was dreaming about but when I get out of bed and start the day it is hard to remember the content of the dream. I alawys promire myslef that I will write down my dreams in order to get more knowledge about this subject but I always forget to do so:P

    But still I can tell you about dreams I remember. In them I am always in hurry or I have the feeling that I forgot about something. In one word I have to deal with bog problems. Maybe it is because in the real life I have so much to do that it is connected with my subconscious. I am convinced that dreams can tell us something about ourselves. Maybe it is hard to understand at first but when the life goes the meaning of dreams become more clear. But I generally don't believe in signs , one cannot base life on signs form dreams.

    I think it is quite a subject to discuss. The fact that we have dreams is really amazing for me.

    ReplyDelete