Thursday 21 November 2013

Week 8: Asia Trip: Part 1 - Japan

This week on the Blog I would like to talk about something a little different. I would like to give basic insight about one of the most interesting journeys I’ve had - traveling in Eastern Asia. I’ve divided this blog entry into 3 parts. Each is related to a different country as each country in Asia provides totally different kind of experience and atmosphere.

The first part is related to the country perhaps most familiar with fellow students of our university. Obviously I mean Japan. The country of blooming cherry trees (Sakura), Manga, martial arts, geishas and robots. That’s what most people imagine when they think of Japan, I suppose. In reality one has to truly experience Japan to really know what it’s about and realize that the generalizations about Japan are very shallow, while the culture and things you’re likely to experience in Japan will leave you with very amazing impressions that go way beyond what you’re likely told about that place and the people living there.


While most people associate Japan with Tokyo as the main city representing that country, to truly experience Japan you have to visit the Kansai area. To get there you have to travel to the magnificent, artificial island airport - the Kansai airport. You can get there from Poland in 12-15 hours by plane including stopover (you're just an average "Asian" work day length away from being there ;-) )


Reaching the Kansai Area
The stunning views of Japan’s most beautiful regions and the airport, which is possibly one of the leading examples of amazing, modern construction engineering will greet you as you arrive.
Kyoto, near the top of the Fushimi Inari













From the airport, you should travel to Kyoto - the fastest way to get there is by the limited express - “Haruka”. 
A train that will get you from Osaka to Kyoto in about 40 minutes, that departs straight from the airport terminal and stops in Kyoto’s central district. 
Right next to the Kyoto Tower, the most "crowded" area (Kyoto is not a crowded place, it's more like the Japan that you see in anime/ manga) and most hostels/traditional guest houses.














Speaking of which, a stay at a Japanese guest house is a very memorable experience, so I truly recommend  trying it at least for a night or two. 
A small, cheap guest house room in Kyoto


Kyoto is what most people fascinated with the older part of the Japanese culture will be absolutely in love with. The life in Kyoto is slow, it doesn’t feel like a city at all - it feels like a small town living its own, Japanese life. People riding bikes to work, traditional Japanese architecture everywhere, temples, small restaurants, geishas, shrines. 


The Fushimi Inari entrance, it's just like this for the first 20 minutes of the hike..
 the rest is for you to explore

Speaking of shrines, you haven’t truly lived if you haven’t visited Fushimi Inari. It is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. A scenic route to the top of a mountain covered with hundreds of gates, dozens of shrines and small cemeteries. If you go there after dark, that’s a lifetime experience for many people. 


There’s so much more to Kyoto, but you just have to visit to truly feel the atmosphere, and what this beautiful place really is about. To me it was the essence of what I liked the most about Japan. 
I arrived with high expectations, and when I started exploring the place they were only superseded.

Kyoto hostel balcony
Kyoto, Emperor Tokugawa's estates
The "Golden Pavilion", Kyoto
Kyoto, Gion
Another very traditional place you absolutely have to visit in Japan is Nara. It houses the oldest temples in Japan, the most beautiful nature and wild animals just roaming around the streets and approaching people(!). 


Nara's oldest temple
In general, there seems to be some informal conflict between Kyoto and Nara, as the two most traditional cities in Japan - Kyoto is said to contain more famous historical places, but Nara is said to be more beautiful and it is a fact that it is also older in general (it was the capital city before Kyoto too).
Nara


Nara's chilling wildlife
Nara's hostile ;-) wildlife

Streets of Kobe
 If you want a very livable city, look no further than Kobe. The city known for Kobe Beef, mountains and beautiful harbor, as well as home to most Yakuza houses and a giant earthquake that forced the city to rebuild a lot of its infrastructure, which happened in just 2-3 years, Japanese style. I think it's totally worth a visit, as you might just want to stay, like the biggest group of foreign expats moving to Japan.

Kobe


Kobe from a cool mountain nearby

The Himeji castle, interior
Other than those mentioned above, amongst others, Kansai region houses such things as the Himeji Castle - perhaps the most famous building of Japan that is currently being renovated.















But also Iga - the place where Ninjas originated from, and where you can check the original Ninja museum with all the weapons, floor traps and hidden wall passages, as well as learn some Ninjutsu straight from the descendants of real “Ninjas”.


In fact, probably everything you love about Japan, minus Manga emerged from the Kansai region. That’s where the Japanese history happened, and where it still lives!


Finally Osaka- the flagship city, the biggest one of the Kansai region. It gets a lot of comparison to Tokyo, but really it’s an entirely different world. People speak with the famous “Kansai” dialect and really are entirely different compared to Tokyo people. The place, despite soaking the western culture is still far more “Japanese” feeling than Tokyo. You can just hang around Umeda, see the Sky building with an amazing panorama of Osaka, check the Osaka castle and learn about “uniting” Japan, numerous museums, crazy shops, amazing food.. and so on, so on, there’s just so much there. Best of all, it’s less than an hour away from each of those places mentioned in this post by amazing Japanese trains, and costs less than a Polish train.


Osaka from the Osaka castle

You have to be in Japan to truly experience Japan and know what it’s about. It’s an amazing place, every bit as amazing and it’s said to be, and even more. I could say a lot about the people there, as well as many other things, but I’m running out of space ;-) Dozens of pictures will not even give you a glimpse of what's to come after you visit. It's necessary to feel it. I just recommend you to go, and totally make Kansai area your destination. The prices of goods are not much higher than Polish prices, which probably contradicts opinions of people who go to Tokyo, where you’re not likely to feel the same Japan you probably want to find there anyway. So totally, as soon as you get some time, book a trip to Osaka and travel around. There’s a JR West Rail pass that you can buy at the airport, that will enable you to take any trains in the Kansai area and because of their speeds, you can see all those places within a week, and it’s probably going to be one of your most enriching weeks of your life.

Finally, some Japanese curiosities seen shopping in Osaka:






Question time. Being a student of a Polish-Japanese university.. 
Have you ever been to Japan? If not, why? 
Do you plan to go, and if yes, what would you like to see? What do you expect to experience?

Sources: Own experiences and photos
PS. Sorry for poor formatting under some browser window widths, and some browsers. I tried but couldn't fix it, looks like it's Google's job now.

13 comments:

  1. I've been in Japan once, long time ago... about the time when we found out, that we have a family living there, ha ha.
    Anyway, I loved it, every single bit of it. I was in Tokyo for a moment, in Yokohama, Kyoto, and some other cities and places, that I don't remember anymore. I was there for 8 whole days, 4 of them I slept and lived with my japaneese cousins. It was amazing.
    I'd love to go there again. With my husband. I don't speak the language, but we'll figure out our way. And also, we just need to find the time and money to do this kind of a trip. Because, our first destination, next year, will be US for few months. Then, probably Japan, depending, on how much we'll have money and time left....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Answering your questions: I haven't been in Japan -yet. I'm planning to go there but the country, like every single one in Asia, is such complex and new for us, Europeans, that I'd rather have a month or two to spend there than go for a two week trip just to see typical tourist places. I prefer to explore it truly, live with the people and learn their way of living, feel the atmosphere of big japanese cities as well as smaller towns. I read a lot about Japan, studied the language so I would love to confront my expactation with the reality.

    So now I'm just waiting to get my master degree and finally have a bit more free time to prepare a big journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Japan is amazing country, I would love to see some places like those which you described. So far, I haven't been further east than in Lublin. Some of my friends already told me how was on their trips to that country, all of their stories and your article have something in common: everyone describes visit there as one of the best experiences in life. Hopefully someday I will find some time to go there and check it on myself.
    By the way, after your last photo I'm pretty sure that polish alcohol is known in every little corner of the planet :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been in Japan but I would love to be there. Your photos are really beautiful and interesting. I envy you :P. This tour is difficult to organize. Very far away, we need a lot of time (and money), probable communication problems and lack of understanding of cultural. This doesn't change the fact that I think everyone would like to experience this.
    Just like Kasia I'll wait until the end of the study, and then I will go on a trip to Asia.
    And before Asia maybe I choose South America for example Brazil, hmm who knows? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I've written before in my own presentation, I've been to Japan - and I visited most of the cities that was mentioned, but instead of Kobe we've been to Nagoya, Hamamatsu and some little villages in the high mountains which names I couldn't rembember now and then. However, I have to get back there as soon as I be able to! One reason is that we were hitchhiking - this way of transportation doesn't exactly lead you to the touristical places, so I didn't have a chance to see Golden Pavillon or Fushimi Inari Teisha at night (but I saw it in the afternoon and it impressed me much, too). The second reason is my strong willing to reach the peak of Fuji mountain at dawn - gotta do this in my life. Third and last - I really want to visit Okinawa and rainforest regions to see the tropical side of this marvellous country. Hopefully I won't wait much longer for that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. But the important thing is that without any knowledge of Japanese language or someone in your group that is fluent and can serve you as a translator, your experience in Japan will never be as full as it can be... It reminds me of the movie called "Lost in Translation". I had the best translator ever back when I was there and I can't imagine how hard it would be without him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much for your comments, everyone. I think a Japan trip doesn't have to be something planned so far ahead into the future. Even if you're a student, it's a good idea to take advantage of more spare time you have before starting work ;-) This might be a good idea to think about, as really a journey to Asia doesn't have to be as expensive as most people probably believe. And it's a lifetime experience that is better the younger you are, trust me. It will change the way you perceive the world.

    Czarnolecki - I think it is not so difficult to organize. Just buy plane tickets, and you're there ;-) You can book stays for the night on the internet in 5 to 10 minutes via services such as hostelworld. You can just buy a transit card and take trains wherever and whenever you want to. It's not as hard as it might be, just requires a tiny bit of courage to do it, and you'll be surprised how nice it is ;-)

    Martyna - I agree about having a "local" with you. That enhances the experience a lot. That said, on my first day I already met friends there, who showed me around and traveled together with me. I went to Japan all by myself, although I had friends in some cities that I met during other travels, and they were showing me the nicest things in their cities. Although going alone without anyone speaking Japanese is also possible. The Japanese people don't speak English well, but most people understand basics that are enough for you to survive. They are very helpful and when regular language seems to fail, they will try to help you even with body language or just taking you to places you are asking about.
    That said, yes, it is much, much better to have a local person around, if only for the sake of better experience.



    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never been to Japan, or any Asian country. There are many places I would like to visit, and Japan is on my list! Unfortunately, you need a lot of money and time for such trips, but one day I will save enough money to go there. My friend told me a story about his trip to Japan – in one club everybody was drinking Żubrówka!

    Your last picture shows it. Is Żubrówka really that popular there?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Japan - high on my list to see.
    I was't for financial reasons.
    A beautiful country with even more beautiful and richer culture.
    a lot of places to see, visit, and feeling a taste of the prevailing culture of the Far East. I think one of the more interesting to me are Japanese gardens.
    on the other hand, the capital of Tokyo is the cradle of the technology that is the opposite pole as worth seeing.
    I can only envy others what they were and wait until I will be there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maria - yes! In one of the bars in Kyoto they had Sake, other wines and vodka. The vodka choice was as follows - Zubrowka, Wyborowa, Sobieski. I think we have something to be proud of ;-)

    I think you don't need that much time and money to see Japan. It's possible to go there for just a week and have great experiences. It shouldn't cost more than 5000 zlotys, or even cheaper if you're willing to make some sacrifices and find cheap flights and you're flexible with dates - then the prices start at just below 2000 zlotys for low season.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never been in Japan, but I realy want to visit it someday. It's my dream, to be there and see everything with my own eyes. Unfortunately, this kind of trip costs a lot of money :( Many people had already wrote, in this topic, about that matter. Plane ticket, accommodation and feeding - these are arguments that costs about few thousands zlotych. And that ammount I cannot afford :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is very interesting topic! I always wanted to visit Japan. There are many reasons for which we would like to go visit this place.
    Nomadic Matt in his blog listed 38 reasons why he would like to visit Japan.

    The one that really apply to me are: "Tokyo Subway – People always talk about surviving the London Tube but the Tokyo subway is the real labyrinth. Bring it on!" I had pleasure to use London Subway. I would gladly face its Japanese bigger brother.

    I love lakes and water. Japan have some great places to go to: "Lake Ashi – Hot springs? Picturesque view of Mt. Fuji? Sold!"

    If you like mountening this is also great place to go. Mt. Fuji have some really beautiful views to offer.

    And of course culture, fashion, people... We are so different in many ways. I think that asian culture is truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are sooo lucky, I've allways dreamed of going to Japan. All the traditional Japan blending with
    modern one. It's on the top of my "To visit" list, mostly thanks to all manga and anime thata I'd watched :).
    When I will get to go there, and I will someday, I would most likely want to visit some of the more know pleaces,
    as well as the lesser known maby. Also I would like to visit Akihabara for obvious reasons. And I'd love to taste
    lots of their cuisine. Specialy sushi, which I'm addicted to. Yes shushi is definitely the reason I'd love to go there.

    ReplyDelete