Saturday 23 November 2013

Week 8: Asia Trip: Part 2 - South Korea

This can be found in downtown Seoul
Another great country to visit in Asia is South Korea. Especially considering their recent growth and new, modern infrastructure and architecture to be seen.
Contrary to my opinion about Japan’s capital not being the “true” Japanese place to visit, Seoul is great if you want to see the best of Korea. Actually half of Korea lives there. 
Most of Korean traditional architecture and history had been destroyed by the Japanese (so Korean dislike towards Japan is very widespread, just like many Polish people not liking Russians or Germans).
Also downtown Seoul
So the Seoul area features some of the most beautiful and authentic-looking reconstructions. Also, Seoul is the place to visit to experience modern Korea and experience the core of their economy and development - it is one of the most modern, clean and well-organized cities in the world with great balance between modern skyscrapers, traditional architecture and green areas all in extremely organized urban architecture - probably one of the best in the world.


Most foreign tourists will want to see places such as Gangnam - the business area with expensive shops and restaurants. In reality there is not much to see there, contrary to what the Korean pop icon would like you to believe. There are just countless businesses and overpriced products and services to be found there - which doesn't stop the Koreans from shopping there, their economy allows them to afford a lot. Gangnam is also home to some of the most expensive apartment buildings in Korea.

Gangnam
Hongdae
Another interesting area is Hongdae - THE area for the young people around the Hongik University, which is filled with bars and restaurants.On any typical evening it’s extremely crowded with students looking for a place to get drunk - and by extremely crowded I really mean it. Hongdae is also filled with hostels and is popular for foreign exchange students - most dorms are located there. The thing is, to put it in perspective, Hongdae "party area" is the size of an average district in Warsaw.
It shows perhaps the most underestimated feature of the culture - drinking. They can drink at least as much as the Polish people, and they do it more often. Many people drink beer with everything, even with breakfast or during the lunch break at work - it's completely usual in South Korea.

There are many, many interesting areas in Seoul, each of them is special. For instance, itaewon is a very popular foreigner shopping and residential area, there are little "towns" for major Korean companies and as a matter of fact cities located near Seoul are probably soon to become parts of Seoul.

If you have a little more time and truly want to know all about Korea you should totally take a trip across Korea. If you have even more time, you should take a trip to the Jeju island, which is basically a Korean paradise island:
Jeju Island
Jeju island. Source: https://www.visit7wonders.com/

But back to the trip across the "main" South Korea, hanging out in towns near the North Korean border might be a cool experience for most people. Some of them are mostly occupied by North Korean residents, who are really nice people, and those places feel like time stopped for them in the 60s and it's standing still:
Sokcho
There are many beautiful nature spots. South Korea has some of the most beautiful mountain areas I've ever seen, perhaps being beat only by British Columbia and western Alberta in Canada, and maybe the Guilin area in China.
Seoraksan National Park


Seoraksan National Park
Seoraksan in the morning. Source: Visitkorea.or.kr
I could go on and on about the beauty of the place, but just like with Japan, you should see it yourself and I don't want to spoil your journey too much ;-)

So I'll talk shortly about food. The Koreans like meat - especially beef, so being in Korea you HAVE TO try Bulgogi. They also like Kimchi, beer, seafood and garlic. However, the most interesting part of their eating habits is the Korean BBQ - Gogigui. It is indeed very special, as you are preparing your own food from raw ingredients provided by the restaurant - you have to cook them together with the people you eat with, which makes for one of the most social restaurant experiences ever.
The best Asian food experience, Gogigui

Finally I'll mention my experience with the Korean people, as they are very unique. There are stereotypes about the Asian people known in Poland, but to tell you the truth, each country in Asia is entirely different. While people in Japan are very polite, they seem to be somewhat dishonest about it. In Korea, people are also polite, well organized and act selflessly, but they are very honest and will tell you exactly how they feel. They are much more open towards strangers and they are genuinely nice people to be around - Koreans are some of the best friends you might have. Quiet and emphatic on transit and work (where they spend half of their lives); loud and happy at the bar.

I thought I shouldn't make my blog posts THAT long, so I'll just cut this short and go right to the questions:
What do YOU know about Korea? What do you think about that country? Would you like to visit?

Sources: Own experience and photos.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a long entry...
    Anyway, I don't know much about Korea, although I would love to go there. My father wen't there and told me also a lot of stories about that country.
    And the beef? I AM THERE!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I read your post I understand that I know nothing about South Korea :) Country seems to be high developed and traditional in the same time. Actually, I'm surprised about that part in which you write about alcohol, clubs and ways of spending free time in general. I thought that they behave rather like kind of double time workers without any other aspects of life (just as in the northern neighbours only in a more humane way). I've heard that Korean cuisine is very specific and good in the same time, do you have any favourite food from there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Koreans are basically more out-of-their-shells than Japanese people. They usually speak fluent English and their behaviours are more undestandable for Westernese than those than can shock or surprise you in Japan. I would love to see the paradise island and other wild places mostly, but what would really make my trip worth it is the food - despite the fact that I don't eat pork and beef at all, the way they cook and slice the meat makes it incredibly easy to digest (and tasty, too). Besides, a lot of typical meals in restaurants are suitable for vegetarians and they taste awesome as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely photos! As in the case of Japan, I want to see in the future.
    By the way I still have the taste of Gogigui in memory. What a dish! Everywhere was the smell of barbecue. One of the best meat that I ate in my life. Ok and what I know about South Korea? The answer is not too much :P I think that the northern neighbor makes them unfair, bad reputation. A lot of people hear the word Korea and thinks only about totalitarianism and censorship. However, this culture, cuisine and views are realy interesting and great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While reading and watching the pictures, you can fall in love with Korea.
    My knowledge of Korea as the other is small.
    We sit, we read, and more and more we like it :)
    Need I say more? a beautiful country and a beautiful place to see and collect memories
    thx to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never thought about South Korea to be that beautifull!
    Especially, from your text, I liked Hongdae area. I would like to live there for a few weeks and see how playful are Korean students. I would expect from them, to show me the night life of this country.
    Hope someday I can visit South Korea :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad that I was able to show Korea in an interesting way, because it really is an interesting place. The people are great too, as Martyna mentioned as well - they are more out-of-their-shells, but also very polite and with great moral conducts in general.

    The country is indeed beautiful, especially Seoul is a very nice city.

    Yoshi - my favorite Korean food is indeed the Bulgogi beef, especially prepared during Korean BBQ-style social dining. Great experience and great food.
    Also, surprisingly, seaweed soups with dumplings are very tasty! Asia taught me not to judge food by the way it looks or sounds. I was able to eat everything and enjoyed it, it was healthy and tasty at the same time, which sometimes is a challenge to combine when eating out in Poland.
    I lost about 4kgs the first month while eating as much as I wanted to in Asia. And I weight about 70kgs total.
    Also, I love their green teas, which might have contributed to the weight loss, as I replaced sodas with those ;-) The bottled green tea is the most popular beverage you can find in stores, and it's available in all flavors - my favorite being honey green tea. They are nowhere close to being as sweet at beverages found here in Poland, but delicious and refreshing. So diets in Asia are much healthier, while being delicious at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Contrary to Japan, Korea isn't the pleace I'm so eager to visit. Mostly because I haven't heard any
    good things about it. Not that there any so many bad things that I know about it. Also I haven't even thougth
    about it. There aren't any famous pleaces that come to my mind when thinking about it. Maby in future if I ever
    plan to go there I'll check what to visit, see and eat. :)

    ReplyDelete