Monday 25 November 2013

Week 9: Importance of Photography

Hi, I would like to talk a little bit about importance of photography, especially in newspapers.
Few years ago the majors newspapers like Gazeta gave the photographers an anex for a contract, which encluded a small, but very important clausule: that all rights to those photos would be sold to only one newspaper f.ex. Gazeta Wyborcza, and that this newspaper can use those photos in a future without notice or extra payement. Also, the payement would be much lower. Reason? Crisis. So lots of them just left, decided to be a freelancers, or just changed the job. Like this man
http://natemat.pl/13143,znakomity-fotograf-gazety-wyborczej-zostaje-barista-historia-jednego-czlowieka-i-calego-zawodu-wywiad
Sorry, I could fin this article only in polish.
Anyway, photos are arround us all the time. We all have mobiles with camera build in, or we have our
digital cameras. Making photos was never easier! We do have instagram, and so everyone can do basicly good and interesting photos. That's why people don't even think, that the job of a photographer is quite important. His job is to show an impartial way of given situation (of course I mean photojurnalisme, not photos from vacations....). And people tend to forget it.
Few weeks ago a french newspaper Libération published one number without any photos... And you can see a terrible difference...
http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2013/nov/15/news-photography-france
They did it to show the importance of photos in newspapers.

So, before you think about not paying e penny for a photographers work, please remember, they do an enormous work. But right now, there are so many of them, and maybe some of you are trying out in photography. So, here's some help, on how charge for your work: http://digitalcamerapolska.pl/warsztat/339-ile-zarabia-fotograf-w-polsce-zobacz-realne-stawki (again in polish, because I assume, you're doing photos in Poland...)
And what do you think about that? Do you feel importance of photographes in newspapers? Do you see a difference now in Gazeta Wyborcza (two years ago, pros were making them. Now there are only amatures...)


10 comments:

  1. I'm sorry but I don't read Gazeta Wyborcza, I don't know anyone who does these days, which seems to explain this:
    http://interaktywnie.com/public/upload/img/orginal/04/23/42355_wykres2-zkdp.png

    To tell you the truth, I like photographs on the internet though. Most are amateur and some are great. They can turn somehow unappealing articles really interesting. They say a picture is a 1000 words. I think it's much more sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also don't read Gazeta Wyborcza :P. If we write about photography on the internet then you should pay attention to the amount of Stock with photo. Most photographers use this as an additional source of income, or even base their entire business :).

    The question was about the newspaper, so I think everyone recognizes the importance of their work. Article without image is seen as less important. Photography has always been an art, writing articles is also an art. Various types of art combined in one are more efficient and effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't read newspapers at all so it's also difficult for me to say something meaningful :) For sure articles with photos are more interesting and "friendly" to someone who reads. Quality of photos is also important, no one wants to waste time on trying to guess what is on that particular picture. According to last link professional photographer salary doesn't look so bad, point is to good in that field.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As an illustrator myself, I always look forward for illustrations instead of photos inside magazines. Sometimes, a great portrait of a person interviewed shows more than a photograph, especially the usual black-and-white-with-solid-background one...

    But the idea of publishing a newspaper without any photographs to show their importance is really great. From what I've heard, the salaries for photographers are way below the other artists. On the other hand, the amount of amateur photographers and trying-to-be-professional ones is absolutely ovewhelming for the market, so that defines the problem. The worst thing is, even the best photographers face bankruptcy these days - see Ann Leibovitz...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With a photograph is like the art you need to understand it to appreciate it.
    people associate photographers with "kotleciaże"
    This is because in Poland people don't appreciation true photography. Most of people believes that good photo is when you can recognize yourself on them.
    I was few years commercial photographer. I'm sure that people don't need high quality photos so they don't want to pay a lot for them.
    I think it does not matter where you put a photo in poland on sale. You will be cheated sooner or later.
    very nice topic, moving the problem of compensation for the real work of the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry but I don't read any newspapers. Most of the information I check in the internet, but it's true that photos attract more readers. I think, it would be really strange, if newspapers wouldn't have any photos. Colorful pictures draw more attention. It works in my way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't used to read tradicional newspaper. i prefer online one. And often i just read info whith i got on my wall on fb. I add about 2-3 page about warszawa, and i get information from there. Sometimes is usefull, but i just don't have time for it. i prefer some of my free time spend on wathing 9gag or something like that.
    I used to make "praktyki" in poland, the times in photography. My work are to watch and choice the best photo for subject. From 100photo i must choice around 10 and show to my mentor... it was a little funny job, go only for about 2-3 hours per day... Once i have quest to made photo of "the cross". And one of this photo was in newspaper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a big fan of printed newspapers and so reading an article with some insight on Gazeta Wyborcza is always nice. It’s true that the photographers and also cameramen do the hardest job in capturing all of the emotions and showing the rest of the world what is happening around us. I remember that even few days ago there was a special program on CNN or BBC (not sure which program it was) where they celebrated and thanked them for all of the most passionate and thrilling shots from Libya and other war zones. After all a picture is worth a thousand words.

    ReplyDelete

  10. I am not a fan of newspapers, now the internet is for the news! Anyway, from time to time I buy magazines or weekend issues of newspappers, where sometimes great photo sessions can be found. I think that in the discussed case a classical law of demand and supply worked out. As someone has already mentioned, there are many wanna-be-photographers on the market and many client just don’t see any difference between them and professionals. The entry barrier has dramatically lowered and only real talents can earn as much as before. Some great photoshoots can be compared to great paintings, in my opinion. The problem is that painters for their work are often recognized after they die...

    ReplyDelete