Monday 14 April 2014

Week7: Modern Art - Yes or No?


Art. We all know what it is right? Everyone ( I suppose) has been at least once in a museum with classic art. We have seen paintings and sculptures from ancient Greece, the Roman Empire, the Middle Ages and modern centuries. Art was luxurious, not for everyone. And then in the 20th  century something started to change. Not only in art but in all parts of lives and that change influenced art. The artist was not only a craftsman anymore but he has become so much more, some kind of interpreter of the world. The only rule now in art is that there are no more rules anymore. 

Historians say that it started with Dadaists. Marcel Duchamp was the first man to put a common thing in a museum and called it art. And so we have modern art.

                                                 Marcel Duchamp - Fountain
                                                 (source:http://www.histmag.org/grafika/archiwalia/mag53/images/k_sztuka2.jpg)





I often hear these words: „Art? Ph..I could have done it myself”. People don’t understand modern art because it is something extremely different from classic art. It is often strange and ugly but it is not trying to be neither pretty nor easy to understand. It is not created to satisfy our visual needs of beauty. It is supposed to make us think about some serious matters. But without a comment we are not able to even realise what is going on, most of the time. 


Anish Kapoor
(source:http://www.histmag.org/grafika/archiwalia/mag53/images/k_sztuka2.jpg)




(source:http://blogs.cofa.unsw.edu.au/artwrite/?tag=anish-kapoor)

(source:http://globalresearchreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Modern-art-was-CIA-weapon.jpg)




In my opinion modern art does not exist without this comment, given by the museum or by an artist himself and that is why for me it is no longer art. It is too different. It should have another name.

When visiting Zachęta I have always this feeling that the best thing from there is the building. And trust me I really try to understand and think about the message that the artist was aiming at presenting to us. Should such a form of creation be judged by different rules? For example, we should not evaluate photography using rules reserved for paintings, as Susan Sontag used to empahasise…

Sometimes modern art can be really interesting and fun, art for art:
(source: http://freshome.com/2013/02/22/sculpting-irreverance-giant-dog-marking-its-territory-on-modern-art-museum/)




Anish Kapoor
(source:http://blogs.cofa.unsw.edu.au/artwrite/?tag=anish-kapoor)


Everything can now become art and everyone can become an artist. Has art finished or is it just developing? 

Here you can find nice short artice "7 reasons why modern art is ugly":


Do you like modern art? Why yes/ no. 
What do you think about modern art?
Do you often go to Modern Art Museums like CSW,  Zaczęta, Tate Gallery  or MoMa?


Museums:


Update: There is an exhibition of Tomaszewski in Zachęta now so maybe I will at last enjoy visit there:P 

10 comments:

  1. In my opinion, it's impossible to talk about "modern art" as a one matter. People all over the world are creating new pieces of art continuously using every topic or way to do it, as now we have the total freedom when it comes to creation (there are less taboos, materials are easy to get). You can't say if you like it or not in general - everyone likes at least one drawing, one work of architecture or sculpting made in the brand new world! Of course, there is a stereotype about modern art that a lot of people seem to follow - very simplistic, unrecognizable pieces of futuristic phoney-balloney with a complicated title. That is, fortunately, just a little part of what is going on in the fascinating world of artists.

    I don't know if once a month or two is often, but that's how often I visit galleries. I prefer watching new art from my favorite artists online every day (or every time they upload something new on their virtual portfolios).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you like modern art? Why yes/ no.
    Ummm, no. I'm not a person that likes this kind of things. I'm more of a technical person.
    What do you think about modern art?
    Like stated above, I don't really like it. To be hones I think this two questions are almost the same...
    Do you often go to Modern Art Museums like CSW, Zaczęta, Tate Gallery or MoMa?
    MoMa in in Manhattan, NY. I go there every day! Naah... Not my kind of thing. If they made like Museum of Google, it would be the first thing on my TO DO list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Martyna Zych I agree that everybody must like at least one drawing, the variety is huge. But when I observe modern art by attending museums of modern art (especialy in Poland but sometimes abroad too) I am so disapointed. So all in all I love some pices that are being created now but I don't like the modern art that is being exhibited in museums…..
    And what are your favourite artists?

    @ armndstanczak I can see that you're not really into this subject so thanks for comment

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many galleries in Warsaw, maybe you should try a little variety? Obviously directors of Zachęta, for example, have their own taste in art and exhibitions there are somehow similar. As a beginning, I recommend you the Comic Book Festival in Warsaw - there are always some interesting exhibitions there, and this year the poster is made by an awesome guest - Tony Sandoval - so hopefully we will see more of his works during the fest.
    https://www.facebook.com/Komiksowa.Warszawa/photos/a.127586020651566.26060.125973427479492/638263266250503/?type=1&theater

    I'm a digital artist myself, so I'm more into this kind of art. Except Tony, I'm a lifetime fan of Justin "Nivbed" Cherry. There are many others, but like Gez Fry or Alexander Stodolnik, they hid most of their works online because of the immense number of art requests they received. The pain of being a modern, young artist :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visited Tate Modern Gallery in London and the only exhibition worth seeing was a PAID ONE. It was paintings of Paul Gaugin put into a chronological order. But It had nothing in common with Modern "so called" Art.

    Other exhibitions in Tate Modern were, as for me, a terrible disgrace. No added value at all. I was a few times at alternative poemathic evenings or performances and mostly it is people with huge ego and nothing to say.

    ReplyDelete

  6. @Martyna it can be true maybe I don’t try enough:) I will check out those names for sure…


    @Tomek nicely put, especially last paragraph:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m not a fan of modern art. I’ve been learning History of Art since the first class of high school. In my view, in the past there the art was more beautiful, simple breath taking!
    I like things that are elegant and have a little hidden magic in it. My favourite époque is Baroque. During Baroque everything was full of symbolism and illusion. Whereas in modern art, artists compete to create something new and shocking and they don’t care so much about beauty.
    When I was at Mark Rothko’s exhibition I was wondering why he is so famous? I just don’t understand how people can look at the black canvas and say it’s amazing, outstanding, perfect and excellent. In my opinion it just a black piece of canvas, nothing more. And for sure it doesn’t have any deeper meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not big fan of modern art, I don't see anything which is beautiful in modern art. Modern design is something different. For example at http://www.behance.net/ I can always ind something which is inspiring simple and beautiful. As I said before I don't enjoy modern art - so I don't go to modern museums very often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Natalia so glad you mentioned behance.net, I also like this site very much!

    @Dominika I agree with you about Rothko exhibition, however I must admit I sometimes enjoy paintings, which are just big color patches…I don't think they have some kind of special meaning but they can look nice:)

    ReplyDelete