Monday 7 April 2014

Week 6: Explore the world of Star Wars


Always when something awakens my interest, I want to watch it, read about it, have it always with me, etc.
I have the same thing with STAR WARS, of which I'm a huge fan. I love to consort with it very often. And in fact I can't complain for lack of ways to do it.



In STAR WARS franchise there are so many things related to the movies you can interact, that the SW fans are one of the most luckiest of all the fans in the world. There are games, toys, books, music, RPG's, animated series and many many more.
The most greatest of things about the SW universe is that it is extensible, thanks to George Lucas, who allows, even encourages other artists, like novel authors of gamescript writers, to create an Expanded Universe of STAR WARS. In result, they bring not infrequently excellent books, games and comic books.

For example, not so long ago I read brilliant book entitled Revan by Drew Karpyshyn, which action is placed nearly 4000 years before the events from the The Phantom Menace movie. Also Darth Bane trilogy from that same author is terrific, I heartly recommend it. Heard that Timothy Zahn is very good writer and I must confess, I haven't read any of his works, which is unforgivable, for a declared SW addict. Promise to catch up ASAP. ;)
Furthermore, there are different kinds of dictionaries, from which we can read and see characters, locations or objects from the movies, or for example a books with cross-sections of spaceships, vehicles and crafts.
Noteworthy are also SW PC and video games, such as: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Knights Of The Old RepublicKnights Of The Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, The Force Unleashed I and IIStar Wars: Racer and many more. All of the mentioned I played and can breezily say they're worth checking. Especially Jedi Knight series and KotOR series.

Lately I am playing MMORPG game called Star Wars: The Old Republic which is loosely connected to the plot from the two KotOR titles. Despite I was sceptical to it at first, the game is, in a word, groovy. The plot, the graphics, the characters and most of all, the enormous size of the universe of the game, all of these are refined in the tiniest detail. I recommend this to all the game players. It'll give you hours of entertainment and fun.

And question time:

  • What do you think about expanding a movie trilogy/saga? Is it good for the fans or the creator?
  • Have you read any of the STAR WARS books? If yes, what are the titles?
  • The best SW game, in your opinion?

9 comments:

  1. What do you think about expanding a movie trilogy/saga?
    Some things are not meant to be fondled with. Like very popular songs or movies. I think one of them is Star Wars.
    Is it good for the fans or the creator?
    Creator. Only. Fans are merely embracing given solution rather that creating one.
    Have you read any of the STAR WARS books? If yes, what are the titles?
    And if no.... then?
    The best SW game, in your opinion?
    They were all awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm not really the Star Wars fan, but I'll try my best here.
    1. I don't think I have the right to state my opinion about this subject, as I'm not really into the old saga, but... why not? There's always a "risk" everyone will enjoy the new series, and if not, it's always good to provoke discussion amongst the fanbase. During International Comic Festival in Łódź, every year there are lectures and meetings of fans talking about the saga - how long will it take until they end all the topics? :) Let's make some new ones by making new movies, I'd say.
    2. No, no.
    3. KoToR was quite nice and reviewers made me believe that every Lego game is worth playing, so maybe the... um, I have no idea how it was called, but the Lego Star Wars game was probably quite good. Didn't play it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I think?
    I think there's millions of people that loves this topic. And this is why people wont to earn on that. Often appear movies, games and books that fall to the people taste. More often creators make next sequel to just earn more money. Usually next episodes are not so goo as the previous parts.
    Nope I haven't read any of them before.
    I played Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy and was good. This wasn't my favorite game because the story for my was just boring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. It is hard to say before anything actualy is on the screen. Maybe the new movie will be great and will attach even more fans to this series. No one knows that, but for sure some fans will call any new movie a catastrophe.
    2. I haven't ever read any Star Wars books. I'm not really intersted in this universe. I appreciate its existence, because it has big impact on our culture, but I don't feel any need to exceed my knowlege about it.
    3. I haven't played any SW game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like @Martyna I’m not a fan of Star Wars. To be honest, I’ve seen only one part when I was a kid. During watching I was counting minutes till the end… I also haven’t read any Star Wars’ book, neither I have played any games about the movie.
    I think that expanding a saga can be a good thing for true fans who miss they loved heroes. I’m a true fan of Harry Potter’s saga. They are making an extension of it and I can’t wait to see the movie! I hope it will be as good as the previous parts. I think you can always create another part, if it doesn’t have a definite end, e.g. the main hero dies. However, extending are usually worst than the first part. My opinion is very similar to what @Przemek has written. The movie isn’t usually very good when authors do something without inspiration or the only reason is that they want to make money or gain on popularity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What do you think about expanding a movie trilogy/saga?
    Star Wars universum is so big that there are still many places which weren't touched and would be fun to see. I would like to see the life of Han Solo for example.

    Is it good for the fans or the creator?
    I think it depends. If something is well done then everyone profits.

    The best SW game, in your opinion?
    KoToR and Jedi Academy. One for the rpg part and story and second one for killing those unworthy of the power of the force in multiplayer.

    ReplyDelete

  7. To be honest I was never a big fun of a Star Wars trylogy. When I was young I wanted to be Amidala:P That’s all. And I know the music theme of course.
    Your first question is a tough one. I think it depends. It can be a good think because people can meet their favourite characters once again and you can earn more money:P. Unfortunately, the stories which are added later are usually bad, or at least way worst that the first ones. So the creators have to be careful and know when to stop. I’m not looking forwar to see another Star Wars movie/book but if it would be Harry Potter for example I would be thrilled but then probably dissapointed...


    I haven’t read any and I probably won’t:P


    I don’t know any Star Wars games…

    ReplyDelete

  8. What do you think about expanding a movie trilogy/saga? Is it good for the fans or the creator?

    It is good only for Disney's and Lucas' wallets. Not much a SW fan but I have seen what Disney do with potentially good movies.

    Have you read any of the STAR WARS books? If yes, what are the titles?

    I won't read any SW books or comic books. They bore me a lot.

    The best SW game, in your opinion?

    Rogue Squadron. The rest was bad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I always liked it, yet never actually read any of the books, or played many related games. I did like one though, it was one of my first 3D games and I've spent quite some time on it. Battle for Naboo was the title, if I recall correctly. But no, I wouldn't call myself a fan at all. As for expanding the trilogy - somehow I can't get myself to like the prequels, especially the first one. And I do have a bad feeling about the next movie...

    ReplyDelete