Saturday 27 April 2013

Week 6: Bike in the city


For a very long time I have dreamed about a bicycle which I don't need to buy, store and repair. Of course for years I could rent one at a bike rent shop but they are really rare, also usually situated far away and quite expensive. At present life is changing quickly therefore Warsaw as well. For example, ZTM is offering now to Varsovians a possibility to rent a bike. A great idea from early spring to late autumn or if you prefer from March till November. On every corner of streets you can bump into one from almost 130 bike rent stations where two thousand vehicles are waiting for you! There is more, till the end of the season those good strangers claim they will give us an additional twenty bike stations. 

You could ask why we need so many bikes? However, the statistics show that last year, when the number of bikes was twice lower, every day within a week over three and a half thousand people used them and more than eight thousand over the weekend. It means that four people rode every vehicle a day and this season is to be much better, which means nearly ten thousand bikers every day on our streets! Do you think it is terrible?
I don’t think so. For me, this is great news because it is directly connected with measurable benefits (but not for petrol stations, yeah). People riding bicycles don’t use the other means of transport in the city, especially cars. Our capital will benefit of it as well as our wallets and bodies.
Another positive side is the renting price of that bike. It looks like 20 minutes for free and until we exceed one hour we pay only one zloty. The second hour costs 3, third 5 and the rest 7. But in an hour it is possible to ride enough kilometers to get to another bike station to change a vehicle. Then you have the next hour just for 1 zloty. It is perfect, isn’t it?
When someone steals a bike the police will find him easily because they have GPS, as well as you get a good bicycle lock.
Very important is to observe a twelve hour time limit! After this time you have to pay an additional fee of 200 zlotys. It is quite a lot if we planned to spend only a little money for riding. Also if you damaged a bike it will cost you…nearly eighteen hundred zlotys. Be careful!
Very cool is that bicycles are locked in stations by an electromagnetic locks powered by solar cells. The control panels are also powered that way. When a whole bike station is full, you have to simply lock a bicycle to the other bike and then return it in accordance with the return procedure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tC7o6G9gvlk

By the way I am proud that ZTM dared to take such a step. Nevertheless, all the bicycle popularity will influence them unfavourably. But on the other hand, the bus doesn’t take stowaways.

sources:

Questions:
  1. Do you think bike renting stations are a good idea?
  2. How often do you use a bike instead of the public transport or a car?
  3. Do you think Warsaw is friendly to cyclists?



10 comments:

  1. I used Veturilo system for the first time few days ago. I'm really glad the system is easy to use, bikes are kept in good condition and generally I was very positively suprised. I think it's a great idea and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for implemented bike stations in other Polish cities. In my case I use bike only for pleasure purposes and never as an alternative for transportation. Unfortunately I believe that Warsaw is far, far away for being friendly to cyclists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the bicycle stations are a great idea. Five years ago I saw a station in Paris, I really liked it and I am sorry that in Warsaw there are none, but in the end we also have. Thanks stations bicycle anyone who doesn’t have a bike, for little money can go whenever want and earn the same benefits. I hope that this will affect the number of cars on the streets of Warsaw.

    For everyday I use public transport. I have a driver's license, but still don’t have my car . I'm just beginning my cycling season, I plan to buy a bike, but don’t rule out the use of bicycles Veturilo.

    I think that Warsaw is friendly to cyclists. We have a lot of bike paths in good condition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warsaw is a hell for cyclists!
    I was cycling Kopenhagen in Denmark, and this is a city friendly for cyclists. In Warsaw bike paths are narrow and winding, and pedestrians walk on them repeatedly. In Copenhagen thera are bike paths on each side of the road (one in one direction), and sometimes even there is a second one, where it is possible to turn left. In addition, there are separate traffic lights for bikes, and people come up to cyclists very seriously.

    Anyway, Veturilo is a great idea, like Paulina I missed it in Warsaw, but now we have it and it works great!
    I haven't used it because i usually use my own bike. As soon as I can, I choose a bicycle instead of other means of transport. I'm a little cycling freak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1.Do you think bike renting stations are a good idea?
    I think it's a great idea to relax and spend your free time in the city. This seems a good idea for a business. But I'm not able to use the bike, since I live outside of Warsaw. Maybe one day throughout the country will have a bike.


    2.How often do you use a bike instead of the public transportation or a car?

    Do not ridden a bike for several years. I do not know when I will have the opportunity to do it again, I do not have a bike.


    3.Do you think Warsaw is friendly to cyclists?

    From the perspective of the person who drives a car it seems to me that the city is quite well suited.

    ReplyDelete

  5. In my opinion they are great idea for people who do not have bike or missed the last bus. Stations are easy to use and bicycles are in great condition. From the other side Warsaw is not so friendly to cyclists, but I hope this is only a matter of time.

    Unfortunately I do not have renting stations near my apartment so for me it is not "profitable" to rent a bike and ride to work or to school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. That is very good idea and good business especially for company which build these stations and takes care of the maintenance. Despite Previous sarcasm I am in favor of such solutions but everything depends of details.
    Always during my vacations I am trying to spend some time on bike, mostly rented, but in normal life it is not solutions for me. Additionally I have heard about Warsaw Venturillo station’s problems. Many of these stations working only under solar energy and in cloudy days you may have difficulty trying to return bike because there is no power at stations. What then to do with the bike, and who will pay for unexpected duration of rental? For this reason, I do not think that Warsaw is well prepared for such activities. For this reason, I do not think that Warsaw is well prepared for such activities. A separate problem is to use your own bike, it is still not enough places where you can safely park but your bike but commercial stations as Venturillo points arise very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely agree with the statement that renting bikes in a city is a good idea. Our lazy society should use it as much as possible in order to stay fit and healthy. Until now, people have been complaining that there are no opportunities for them to do some sport. Since bike renting stations are available, there is no excuse. It’s not expensive to rent a bike and go somewhere where you can give it back. It is really important for us to appreciate the fact that someone is trying to help us be more healthy.
    I do not use a bike very often because the place where I work is too far from my home so that would be impossible for me to commute by bike. I only ride a bike when I have some free time and I want to relax. Actually, I would be really content if I could spend more time cycling as this makes me feel better and healthier.
    When it comes to Warsaw as a place for cyclist, I do not think that this is very agreeable. Nevertheless, we all can see that it has improved over the last few years. New lines have been built, bike renting stations have been given to Warsaw citizens, people are allowed to ride a bicycle in the streets of Warsaw etc. We need to appreciate it and wait for new improvement that will hopefully come in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not very concerned about Venturillo, because probably I wont ever use it. Always when there is such possibility, I will take a car or public transport, as I rather like to be fresh in school or some meeting not sweaty. In my oppinion city is not a place for a bikes, whenever I wont to go cycle, I go to country side.
    I dont know if Warsaw is friendly to cyclist as I dont use bike in the city. But from my experience, cyclist in warsaw are riding regardless of law. They are often creating very dangerous situation, and they feel unpunishable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use bike very often. When summer comes (and even much sooner if spring is fine) I forgot about car and I bike to my work. It is not that far, 7km, but far enough to get totally wet. Especially when wind is against you. And even if there is no wind there is more than enough hills (I never spotted any hills there when I was driving!!). And my timing is never perfect – children are always full of surprises.
    (like: “
    - Daddy I forgot key to my locker.
    - How could that be I asked you If you have it.
    - Yes. And I thought I have it but I forgot it
    Total : 15 min late etc. )

    But It was meant to be about bikes
    So I am big fan of bikes indeed. But not in Warsaw. I do not like to cure myself in car fumes. Few years ago when I was full-time I was biking in Lodz to University. And I found it much faster than using public transport. But it was economy rather than pleasure.
    Biking in Forests, plains, one-to-one with wind, sun and nature sounds its most precious biking for me.
    Renting Bike is also very nice idea. I would kill for a rent-a-bike so many times on my vacations before. But when I need it is never there. I really hope this business in Warsaw proves successful and viral and other cities – especially my vacation destinations will catch this virus.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Currently have a bike, because I have a place to store it.
    Many people from every social group unfortunately dont have places to bike in the house from any other reason, so the idea of bike stations for me is a shot in the midlle .
    Moreover, the sight of such a bike like that say there is a healthy possibility arrive to work, school.

    ReplyDelete