Monday 8 April 2013

Week 4: My trip to Peru


A year and a half ago I and a few of my friends  visited Peru for 3 weeks. Equipped with backpacks and both way tickets we left Warsaw in the middle of September 2011. But everything started a few months earlier when one of us during a meeting threw an idea about visiting Peru. Immediately we started to look for cheap flight tickets from Warsaw to Lima, the capital of Peru. Unfortunately there were no direct cheap flights, so we needed to find a combined one. After a week or two we bought very cheap tickets from Warsaw, via Dusseldorf, Frankfurt to final destination in South America, Bogota –the  capital of Columbia. From Bogota we had the next day a flight to Leticia, a small village located at the point where Columbia, Peru and Brazil come together in an area called Tres Fronteras.



We had been preparing for this trip for about 3 months, making different versions of plans with places we wanted to visit. So it started in Bogota, Columbia, which for me is the best known from narcotics, especially cocaine and the kidnapping of white people for money. And actually it is true – Columbia has one of the highest rates of kidnappings in the world. Knowing that, we were quite frightened about spending 1 night there before reaching our final destination. After all it wasn’t so bad for us.
But the main adventure started in Leticia a village situated at the Amazon River. We stayed there for a few days before going further into the country. Most clearly from this place I remember a trip to the Amazon jungle which was guided by a local guy.


I was totally amazed how the Amazon jungle looks like and what kind of animals live there. Quite obvious for me was to expect snakes or parrots but it was really nice and unexpected to meet a toucan.
 













Just after enjoyable stay in Leticia – a city without road access from outside – we moved to Iquitos, which is the largest city in the Peruvian rainforest. We were quite surprised by meeting a lot of white people (gringos) there. Quite soon we found out that Iquitos has the largest gringo enclave in Peru. We stayed there for a few days making small trips, from which I remember most a meeting with sloth and its baby.














While we were following the Amazon River we saw also non touristic, very poor places like the one presented in the photo below:



















Next on our list was Lima, where we rented a car and started visiting the country using our new way of transport. Quite fascinating was the island named Ballestas, with many caves and arches which provide shelter for tens of thousands of seabirds and sea-lions. It's really interesting how Peruvians two centuries ago used "guano" (birds droppings) produced by seabirds - they exported the product to Europe for use as a fertilizer.





















Particularly I was very keen on visiting Nazca lines. We bought tickets to fly over lines, in a small plane. It was an amazing experience.


Later we visited more places, but worth mentioning was for sure the Lake Titicaca, located above 3800 meters above the sea level. Being just a few days on that kind of height gave us huge headaches and problems with breathing.

 Of course we wanted to see the very best known place in Peru - Machu Picchu. Unfortunately our rented car failed to go there, however we managed to visit a few other ancient cities with breathtaking stone architecture.

Questions:
1. Do you like far away journeys ? Which is your favourite country/region?
2. Have you ever been to Peru or would you like to visit this country ? What do you know about Peru?
3. Are you afraid to travel abroad on your own ?

10 comments:

  1. I love traveling. It is connected with my passion - photography, and sometimes with cycling. I made one bike trip alone, it was trip around Skane region in Sweden (with one day of cycling in Denmark). I wasn't afraid to go there alone, because those are very safe countries, both when speaking about crimes and road accidents. But I'm not sure if there are many countries in which I would feel that safe.
    I am very courious traveler, so I want to visit as many places as possible. But for now I especially want to visit Scotland, Denmark aain, and maybe someday Balkan countries. For now I don't really want to go to arabic countries, because specific culture differences make me feel more concerned than curious and entertained (I don't have any problem with this culture, I just prefer more open societies).
    I have never been to Peru but for sure it's nice and exotic place. It would be great to go there someday, but probably this country is so exotic and sometimes wild, that the best way to see it are organized trips to the places prepared for tourists, which is not as interesting as traveling freely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Katarzyna,

    Do you have any online portfolio with your photos ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had one, but it was long time ago and photos were bad ;) now I don't have any photos online, except few at my facebook profile. I think that's because I have a really big mess in my photo folders ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1 Do you like far away journeys? Which is your favorite country / region?

    I like traveling. Once, I even had the opportunity to spend a few months in the region małoposkie. Then led a computer training and free time I visited around and getting to know interesting people. But I've never been in another country as a tourist, I had the opportunity a few times to be abroad but lacked the time to get to know the surrounding area which then stayed at. I hope that the next trip abroad it is that we are planning to honeymoon with his fiancee in August.

    2 Have you ever been to Peru or would you like to visit this country? What do you know about Peru?

    I've never been in Peru, maybe one day I will go there and visit the country.

    3 Are you afraid to travel abroad on your own

    I've never tried. In my opinion, every trip should be planned, even leaving a great deal of freedom and spontaneity. I believe that if we know what can happen in such away that everything is certainly OK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would really like to be able to travel abroad as much as possible but due to lack of time and money for such expensive events I need to limit myself to places that are not so far and costly. I do not have any favorite regions but I really enjoyed my trip to Egypt where I could really relax. When it comes to Peru, I have never been there but I think that a trip to this place would be very enriching as it seems to be very exotic and different from what we know in Poland. Well, I am not afraid of traveling abroad on my own but I just think that the bigger the group of people travelling, the more safe and funny the journey is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I do like far away journeys, but my "far" probaly is far from yours far ;) For me far away journey is hollyday at Baltic sea or at Zakopane. So you could think that is not journey at all, because it consider about 300km.
    My favourite country is Poland. Main reason of it is I know my coutry most. In my opinion it has beautifful histry and many monuments.

    I haven't been thatre and I haven't ever consider visiting it, but after reading your post I'm quite interested in visiting Peru. It seems to be quaint country.

    Not realy, In my opinion world do not have any borders, people have. That is why they do not want to travel and see many beautifull things. Borders are not naturall creatins.
    http://humor.pl/system/application/resources/images/2013-03-21/VKpsvyHykLdLeIYrQB0K3CMO2.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like to travel, learn about other cultures, sights, meeting new people.I don’t have my favorite country or region, because I didn’t visit many countries. But at the end of my studies I intend to start a world tour.
    I've never been in Peru, of course I would like to visit, but I don’t know a lot about this place. It is certainly beautiful, exotic city, which can be seen also in your photos.
    I was afraid to travel abroad on my own, but some time ago I had to go abroad alone and it was not so bad. I had a few stressful moments, but other than that it was good. But if there is a possibility of course I prefer to go with friends and family in trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like far away journeys but I do not have my favorite region or country.

    I have never been to Peru but in the future I would like to visit this country and many other places in the world. However, first I would love to go to Spain, Portugal, Scotland and Ireland since those countries are relatively close. Actually, I feel a bit silly because I have been to South East Asia and I have never been to many European countries, for instance Spain or Portugal.

    I am afraid of travelling alone and there are many reasons why I do not like it. Yet the main reason why I am afraid of travelling alone is the fact that I will not have anyone to share our experience and emotions associated with travelling and discovering new cultures, places et cetera.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course! Peru is on my spare list! As soon as I visit India, Indonesia, Birma, Colombia, one more time Australia and two more times USA I go to Peru. (right after I win main prize in Lotto of course)

    I love traveling. I really love it. I have been here and there. But I have fallen in love with USA. Rocky Mountains, Arizona deserts, Utah canyons, bridges of New York and California Sequoia or rather Redwood forests is something I am ready to visit even every year. I also would like to visit Australia once more, I have left many places I want to come back there. I am not affraid to travel alone... to safe countries. But since my first son was born I try to avoid risky areas. In terms of dangerous people and dangerous diseases.

    What I look for during my trips is nature, mountains, rivers and vast areas of land with no people. To be alone with wind and sky. But I like old ruins and mysterious places as well. Thanks for this presentation, my dreams has taken me away from my dumb project quotation I must finish this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  10. About your questions:
    1.Ever since I watched Xena on tv I've been dying to go to New Zealand. I like traveling, but I try to avoid taking unnecessary risks.

    2.Generally speaking I don'tt know much about Peru except a few things I've read in Erich von Denniken books. I'm sure that due to crime and violence I wouldn't dare to go there on my own.

    3. I'm not afraid of walking alone through the forest or staying in snowdrift at night, but I have bad axperience with people. I've heard a lot about violence in South America and though maybe I'm exaggerating I will probably not go there.

    ReplyDelete