Friday 19 April 2013

Week 5: No Arms No Legs No Worries






Can you imagine your life without arms and legs? That's how Nick Vujicic lives. I was fascinated by his determination and strength,  which help him achieve great things in his life.
Nick is a happy man. Hard to believe that? See for yourself what  Nick Vujicic’s life without limbs look like . I guarantee that you’ll start to look at yourself and your reality from a different perspective.
  

Have you had weak moments in life? Perhaps you have felt you are worth nothing. If you have ever had those moments in life, meet Nick Vujicic. Perhaps you've seen in your life inspiring people. However, I can assure you that this one is one absolutely unique.

 When Nick was born, no doctor was able to explain why he was born without arms and legs. His parents were devastated. He was not accepted at school, his peers humiliated him and teased him. When Nick Vujicic was 8 years old, he wanted to commit a suicide. Life had no meaning for him.

The most painful for him was the fact that he could not  hold hands. That he will never be able to hold his  wife's hand.  He fought all the time but more with himself than with the world around him. The turning point came when his mother showed him an article about a disabled man who courageously struggled with his limitations. He realized then that he was not alone.

He started to look differently at his condition, which after some time ceased to be an affliction for him and started to be a blessing. It began to be a gift. He questioned everything about himself because he thought "disability" is just a word. Lack of limbs does not necessarily mean fewer opportunities. Disabilities are only in your head.

 The strength of this man inspires thousands of people in the world - Nick founded the organization "Life Without Limbs" . He conducts motivational seminars, helps a lot of people start a new life. His flagship seminar is called "No arms, no legs, no worries." Soon there will be  published his first book of the same title.  He is 27 years old and the whole wonderful life is ahead of him.

How did it happen that a person who had thoughts of suicide is so happy? Nick says that it was an unusual process in which he challenged all beliefs. Nick simply ceased to believe in what people believe and began to prove to himself and others that he can live a normal life,  make money, that his potential is unlimited. He did it.

 Nick says a very important thing: "Even if the whole world tells you discouraging things you do not have to believe it. It's just an opinion. And that is very good advice. You alone choose what you want to believe and what not.
Nick also suggests we should concentrate on what we have , not on what we miss. Build strength, which will allow you to do great things. Consciously choose what you want to believe in. Consciously begin to create a world of your own beliefs, the best for you.

Absolutely everything depends on how you look at your life. Your perspective determines how you're doing, if you have the motivation, it's who you are every day.
For him, the state in which he was born was a gift. As a result he is now a happy man and is highly successful. Nick Vujicic is a very inspiring person. Everyone who sees him immediately changes the way he looks at his life.

Do you think Nick Vujicic is an inspiring person?

Sources:

17 comments:

  1. Nick Vujicic is an amazing person. After watching the video it gave me a lot of thinking. Positive one. Sometimes we forget to value what we have. It is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world would be better place if there would be more people like him. For me he is very positive person. His daily problems comparing to "ours" are small and quite silly. People often do not appreciate what they have. What do you think, If he would have arms and legs would he be more or less happy? Would he be the same person?

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is inspiring, for sure. There is only one annoying thought I cannot get rid off. When I read about or listen to such people… and you ask about inspiration… With all the respect I feel for them, and all the compassion and sympathy… I still feel like a little child, when sitting by the kitchen table trying to avoid krupnik soup, I always hated, and my grandma was preaching “there are so many poor children all over the world, that would kill for a bowl of such wonderful soup and you complain?!?, how dare you!!” .
    Yes he is inspiring. I love people who can smile against all odds. Who can build and rebuild theirs life with worn out tools. Do you remember old Kipling poem “IF”? One of my favorites.
    If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
    But make allowance for their doubting too,
    If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
    Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
    And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

    If you can dream--and not make dreams your master,
    If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;
    If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
    Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

    If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;
    If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

    If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with kings--nor lose the common touch,
    If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
    If all men count with you, but none too much,
    If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
    Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
    And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!


    So I prefer to see Nick as a Man in Kipling’s meaning , and I am not going to think, all the others should be happy they do not have such hard life. I believe this is how he wants us to see him. …and I am never ever going to tell anybody “your troubles are nothing comparing to Nick’s and – look he is so happy.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think that he would be more or less happy with arms and legs, because happiness is a state of mind, not always justified by what we have. It's like with poor people - they usually feel happier than the rich ones. But of course not having limbs is a serious encumbrance in everyday life. What people should remember, is that it's not something that should stop you and make you give up your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ypu cant say he is not inspiring person, as he overcome his own weaknesses. And I do not mean lack of arms and legts but mental weaknesses, that makes us put limits on our selfs. People like him should be example to follow. Also he is a very good mental coach, and due to the lectures he presides, he has big influence on people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I saw some interviews with him and I find him as a very inspiring person. Everything that he says is really touching. He is one of these people who make other people’s lives better. He makes them realize what they have and what they could have lost in the past or what they may lose in the future. I believe that it is very important to know people like him. People who can inspire, motivate etc. What is the most surprising is how much strength and sense of humor he has. There is something special about him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a very touching and inspiring story. People like Nick shows us that nothing is impossible. Life is beautiful and we should not give up no matter what; we should not feel pity for ourselves but rather we should enjoy all the good things that are given to us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read about him some time ago already, and he's amazing. I always said, that my life is OK, because I still have my legs, my arms, I can walk, talk, see etc. But then I saw the video, and I realized: my life would still be awesome, even if I would be blind, or if I couldn't walk. All things I think, I cannot do, are onl in my head. That's for sure! But still, it's very hard to just... forget about problems... I try to find solutions, but it's not very easy. And I know, Nick says that, but still... it's really hard to struggle with yourself....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I understand why some people may consider Nick Vuijicic to be an inspiring person but for me he is just a positive example of a strong personality. People can surely learn a lot about motivation and hard work from his seminars. But his success depends also on support from his family and people he works with. It is important to find a meaning in life, and he managed to do that. But you should not regard every disabled person as an inspiration - people with many different dissabilities live all around us, they work, have a family and pretty regular life. Some of them just happen to be a bit more charismatic than others and that is why we can learn about their stories in the media.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, do I think he is an inspiring person? As I understand, the questions asks if he is an inspiring person to me, not in general. So going straight to the point, no. He is not. To me, an inspiring person is someone that has done something no one else could have done in his or her situation. I don’t think Nick is such an extraordinary person, that no one also could’ve been a person like him in his situation.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard about Nick a few years ago. I think there are a lot of people like him out there. They have a disability but want to be happy just like everybody else and they definitely deserve to be. In general, I believe our behaviour is largely dictated by the people we surround ourselves with. The problem is breaking away from this idea when we're not happy. The choice I see is: should we always try to adjust to others or live the way we want to live and let others find us?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that what is inspiring is not him as a person. Inspiring is that big change which he was part of. In the beginning he was thinking about suicide, now he organize meetings to support people in difficult life situations and gives them advices. For healthy people without disabilities different things are being considered as those most important in life (and those without which life has no sense). He has to live according his own value hierarchy and it works. He set up some goals in his life and he is doing great with trying to reach them.
    In my opinion the main point is to find what is really important for us, what we want to do and what we want to achieve. Every step which moves us closer to that goals brings a sense of fulfilment and makes other worries not so significant as before

    ReplyDelete
  13. This guy is for sure inspiring person for many of us. This is sad how he looks, no legs and arms. I think the way he wants to live is the key why he inspiring us. He dont stop fighting for his live and for me i have big respect for this guy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. While watching this video I though that I should never fuss over myself. I should be glad for what I have and what I don't. This little person with his big hart and moving speech is capable of inspiring almost anyone! It make me feel that we can do anything, no mater who we are. Thanks for shearing this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Inspiring? For me he is just a man who is showing his strength every day and this is impressive but how many people like Nick are in the same situation or even worse than his? Why we didn’t hear about them? They are not so inspiring? Or maybe they are totally alone and nobody cares?

    ReplyDelete
  16. "how many people like Nick are in the same situation or even worse than his? Why we didn’t hear about them? They are not so inspiring? Or maybe they are totally alone and nobody cares?"
    Do you care ? And if you do..., then you just have answered your own question. If I was a God I would make you all happy :) just like Nick is.


    ReplyDelete
  17. Watching these videos and reading text makes me so sad. Nick Vujicic shows that, our life can be happy, even if you have a lot of difficulties. He show that is worth to live.

    ReplyDelete