Tuesday 12 January 2016

Week 12 [11.01-17.01.2016] Mobile OS Battle


Mobile OS Battle

On the Market there are 3 main OSes. These are: Android, iOS and Windows 10 Mobile. I would like to present you some most interesting features of each OS and generally compare all OS’es.  Choosing a smartphone OS is a bigger choice than you realize and I’m here to help you by comparing most important things in each OS and you will decide which one suits you best.
Google Android
Android is an Open source OS made by Google. As it’s open source many producers make phones based on that OS and it now takes over 50% of market share. It means that you can choose between many models. When you are looking for some low cost phone you will find one with Android for sure. OS offers a lot of customization and personalization for user. On Android you can for example choose launcher (desktop app) and personalize main screen of you phone in way you want. Google Play store offers 1,5 mln apps and most of them are free. One of the biggest problem of Android is market fragmentation. Many producers doesn’t update their phones and that makes a problem. Without updates security patches are not applied and your data could be exposed to malware software. As we know that Android is made by Google the company integrated all of them services in that OS. All apps and services provided by Google are available in your phone. For people using a lot of Google staff it will be a huge advantage. One of the best features in Android is Google Now and Google now on tap. Google Now is a voice assistant integrated into the system. One thing worth to mention that it’s actually working in our country and it understands our language. Now on tap is a feature first time released with latest Android 6.0 Marshmallow. It scans you screen and catch useful information. For example you are reading email with an address of the restaurant you are meeting you friends tomorrow.  Now on tap will find that info and for example show you the map where this place is or propose you to add that meeting to the calendar.
Apple iOS
iOS is a mobile system installed only on Apple iPhones. It’s a closed platform very well optimized for devices designed especially for that OS. iOS characterizes by very smooth user interface well optimized apps and nice look. iPhones are very well made phones and what is worth to mention Apple doesn’t make chip phones… If you are looking for low-end iPhone you won’t find one, you can just buy an old one. As I mention fragmentation problem in case of Android here this problem doesn’t exists. Every year Apple leaves some devices behind but almost all iPhones operate latest version of OS. It means that newest security patches are released even for an older devices. Apple also provides a lot of services like Google. I mean here for example Mail inboxes, office apps, cloud storage for backup of your photos etc. Ecosystem of apple services is also very big and well made. But if you were using other provider for example Google, integration of those services isn’t that good as in Android. iOS also has it’s own voice assistant called Siri. Probably in the US it’s works great but in Poland, it doesn’t…. Siri doesn’t understand our language so it’s quite useless for us…
Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile
Windows 10 mobile is the youngest OS from our three. Actually is wasn’t yet released entirely. Only phones with these OS are Microsoft Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL. Those phones aren’t chip, these are Microsoft flagships and if you want some low-end phone with Windows 10 mobile you must wait for other producers to make one. Windows is also a closed platform what makes phones easier to update. They are more secure that Android phones for sure but if we look at the market Windows phones are not so popular so probability that someone made malware software for that platform is quite low. Windows user interface is based on “Live Tiles”. These are small squares called live because they can update it’s content in background and present it to user. One of the most interesting features implemented in Windows 10 is Continuum. User can plug his phone into small adapter which is connected to a monitor and use a phone as almost full-fledged PC. Windows 10 also provides integration with all Microsoft services like mailbox, Office 365 etc. Windows phones also got its own voice assistant called Cortana. Many people in US says that this is one of the best virtual assistants available on the market. But unfortunately like it was with Siri, Cortana doesn’t work in Poland and doesn’t understand Polish language…


  1. What phone do you have and why did you bought it?
  2. If you would have enough money to buy any of the mobile phones which would you choose?
  3. Do you think that in close future phones will become our personal assistants and we would not be able to leave home without them?

31 comments:

  1. 1. Personally, I use the iPhone, it is a system which works best to me, a big advantage is also true that he write applications for Apple devices. The user experience is incomparably greater than in the use of any device with Android system, not to mention Windows Mobile because that to me is a total mockery from Microsoft.
    2. Referring to my previous answer only phone which I could replace my current phone is simply a newer iPhone, possibly iPhone with bigger memory: D
    3. Now a lot of people can’t imagine leaving home without phone. Thanks to him we have contact with our friends, we can pay them in the store. FUTURE IS NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. >> Only phones with these OS are Microsoft Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 >> XL

    It's not true. Lumia 550 (low price phone - 550 PLN) has Windows phone 10 from the beginning.

    >> But unfortunately like it was with Siri, Cortana doesn’t work in >> Poland and doesn’t understand Polish language…

    Also untrue. I have a windows phone 8.1 phone and it understands polish language without any problems. I bet that in windows phone 10 they haven't deleted this feature.

    1. What phone do you have and why did you bought it?

    Microsoft Lumia 640. It wasn't expensive and my previous phone (Samsung Note II) has been broken. The main reason why I bought this phone is the desire to test windows phone. It has alarm clock, browser, rss and Skycash what is all I need.

    The main advantage is battery life. It lasts for minimum 3 days. On average it works for 3-5 days. The best time I got was 7 days :)

    2. If you would have enough money to buy any of the mobile phones which would you choose?

    The newest Samsung Galaxy Note (only because it has a screen pen) and Iphone (but only for testing and apps development).

    3. Do you think that in close future phones will become our personal assistants and we would not be able to leave home without them?

    Isn't that now? I can't leave home without my phone. In the future we will use something like google glass (but, smaller, better and not so visible).
    I am sure of it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok my mistake about Lumia 550 actually it is one the market already. Hurray 3 windows 10 mobile phones on market! ;)

      About Cortana. I know that it doesn't work on Windows 10 when Polish language and location is set.
      According to this article:

      http://www.komputerswiat.pl/poradniki/programy/windows-10/2015/08/windows-10-jak-wlaczyc-cortane.aspx

      you can turn on Cortana by changing locale but still she doesn't understand Polish and you have to say commands in english.

      Even if you can say something to Cortana in Polish I doubt that these are some sophisticated command. Maybe something simple like "Zadzwon do mamy" will work but others I don't think so... Google Now can do much more!

      Delete
    2. Official info from MS site:
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/cortanas-regions-and-languages#v1h=tab01

      Cortana's regions and languages
      Applies to Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile

      To use Cortana, your region and language settings have to be aligned. Check the following list of regions where Cortana is available, and the corresponding language for each of those regions.

      Cortana is available in these regions for these languages:

      Australia: English
      Canada: English
      China: Chinese (Simplified)
      France: French
      Germany: German
      India: English
      Italy: Italian
      Japan: Japanese
      Spain: Spanish
      United Kingdom: English
      United States: English

      Can you see Poland here??

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Ok, you are right, but I thought that Microsoft used the same "voice detection system" as in WP 8.1.
      Of course in WP 8.1 there are commands just like "open [application]", "call xyz", but it works fine :)

      >> Hurray 3 windows 10 mobile phones on market! ;)

      Better than Android phones, where you have 50 phones produced by one company and there are only small differences :)

      I think they are somewhere in the middle between Apple and Android phone producers. More than one phone (Iphone), but less than Android phones.

      Delete
  4. Right now I’m using an iPhone I took it with new contract from my current telecom provider. As for me there is no much difference between all of those 3 OS in everyday usage. I won’t change my phone right now, on the market there is no particular phone I would like to have. Smartphones are already personal assistants, communicating with others is only minor feature, they are also our calendars with reminders, gps, social connectors and one of biggest entertainment. I have no idea how more personal it can be in future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Samsung mobile and I am quite satisfied with it, it is worth using. I would like to try Iphone also just to chceck how it is working. Actually we have a huge variety on the market so everybody can find someting interesting for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that true now we have big choice but is it good? I think there is too many different phones. For example Samsung makes a lot of low end phones and than left them without support... It's not so good for clients.

      Delete
  6. I am currently using iPhone 6th generation. Since the beginning of Iphone uses only the system of Apple iOS. I am very happy. iPhone never let me down. If I buy phone, of course I would choose the iPhone. I think now the phones are our assistants. Without phones like a without hand :D I can not imagine life without a phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I understand you well but phones are not as good assistants as they can be in future. I mean the phones you can talk in natural language and it can do some things for you. Now of course they help us but they can do it much better in future :)

      Delete
  7. 1. I use phone with Windows Phone. For me it's a horrible system. Hopeless navigation, no multiple applications and the inability to adapt system to my needs. The only advantages is that never crashes.
    2. I would like to buy Samsung Galaxy S6. I have read many positive reviews about it.
    3. I think that phone is already our personal assistant. We can do all with smartphone, buying things, booking tickets, communicate with friends, doing bank transfers and many other things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What version of Windows Phone do you have? I mean version of system.

      Delete
  8. I've got Android, and I'm happy about it, but... I've got problem with it. It something has lags and stop working.
    Why Android? Firstly, I think that Windows phone it's a crap - i hate them. Secondly, I was doing a mobile app on android, so I was need it (I don't regret that)

    Now I'm starting to consider buying iPhone, and I probably will. (60% iPhone, 40% Android, rest percent on Windows :)

    "3.Do you think that in close future phones will become our personal assistants and we would not be able to leave home without them?"
    I'm not leaving home without a phone. What kind of question is this? Tricky one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately you are very wrong. Android has over 80% of market share and iOS has something about 14%.

      Here is the source from 2015Q2 but I don't think it changed much since than:
      http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

      Android owns it popularity thanks to many low end phones on market like I said it already in one of my comments. Not every Android phones is good. Because of that there is so many chip phones people think android is a bad OS. It's not but problem is that producers are not making good software for low end phones...

      Delete
    2. I'm thinking about phone as an assistant like artificial intelligence which can help you with many more things than it can do right now. I'm mean Siri which can understand natural language very well and do almost everything for you. Right now those voice assistants aren't so well...

      Delete
    3. Michał Stankiewicz17 January 2016 at 17:09

      I think Dann's 40/60 rations were about how convinced he is about buying either of the phones.

      Delete
    4. Aaa ok it suits better ;)

      Delete
  9. Michał Stankiewicz17 January 2016 at 17:13

    I'm using my phone on daily basis so it's an important device for me, especially when I look at how it simplified my life, when I need a road to somewhere it easily tells me these info, the same as with finding a nearby restaurant.

    I'm using an android device but I could probably use iphones as well. It's just I don't like to buy something that I consider overpriced (you can buy a cheaper device with android not loosing any phone specifications).

    I don't consider having my phone with me a bad habit, but on the other hand I can distinguish the moments when I'm using them and all the others. I'm not the guy sitting with my friends, browsing my phone or showing them funny facebook photos of my friends, which is a thing I'm often seeing when I'm out in a restaurant or some other meeting place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using phone for exact same purposes like you - to get informations, find a road to some place etc. That's why I consider phone as assistant. But sometime when you are looking for something it tooks quite much time when doing it on an phone. I would like to have device that can help me find what I'm looking for even without touching it just by saying something to it - for example when driving a car.

      Delete
    2. Michał Stankiewicz17 January 2016 at 20:34

      Yeah some personal assistant like improved siri and some lense like improved google glasses with AR would be a thing. I would totally buy them, a phone is often too slow (opening app/browser, typing, seraching) or simply not handy enough (when it's cold or hands busy).

      Delete
  10. I'm using a phone with Android mainly because I can use it for my application development and I got it in reasonable price.
    I would still probably buy a phone with Android to continue my work but if that would not be a case I would probably buy the newest iPhone.
    I can't leave home without my phone now, so yes in the closest future it will be the same

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. What phone do you have and why did you bought it? - Samsung SGS2 for about 4-5 years. This old honey went throught ice and fire and still living. Like it :)
    2. If you would have enough money to buy any of the mobile phones which would you choose? - probably it would be new galaxy from google.
    3. Do you think that in close future phones will become our personal assistants and we would not be able to leave home without them? - Does anyone leave home without phone? This is unthikable! Phones actually are our assistants. We looking for information in it, communicate with, playing in games, reading news and books, working on. We already cant leave with out it. Our little plastic piece of drug :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Currently I have a Samsung Galaxy phone. Why I bought this phone? Due to several reasons: android system (the main reason), performance, appearance and in my opinion Samsung has currently the best overlay for Android (TouchWiz).

    For me this is currently the best phone on the market. I wouldn't buy any other. My samsung meets all my needs sufficiently.

    I think that currently we have such a situation. I can not imagine leaving home without my phone. Probably most of us have similar feelings. Smartphones have more and more useful features that help us in daily activities - a quick check of e-mail, bank account services, videoconferencing and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have iPhone 6 and I'm very happy about that. I got it for my birthdays, however I didn't expect that. Total surprise - positive of course. I love it for its beauty, as every Apple product. Once I had iPod Touch for music and Nokia Lumia for calling. Now I'm more than happy having one device for both, music and calling, and gettin rid of Windows Phone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. As you probably know already I have OnePlus Two, which I got for free as a donation from one of my happy users.

    2. Tough question, as there's no obvious answer. I'd probably stick with latest Nexus, as there's no better choice available, but development-wise it's basically same quality as OP2.

    3. It depends. I think that some people are indeed too addicted to their phones, they have an urge to check social websites and other stuff like that a few times per hour, so yeah, for those it will be hard to imagine a day without a phone. On the other hand, I use it mostly as a music player, sometimes some games when I'm bored and to check sites I use, and it wouldn't be hard for me if I forgot to take it or so.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Samsung Galaxy S5. The reason why I bought was the offered features and low price. This mobile phone has everything what we can expect from modern mobile phone. Samsung galaxy s5 was launched in 2014 but still in 2016 the phone is amazing.
    I would choose Iphone 6S. In my opinion this mobile phone is perfect in each stage. It doesn't have software problems like android or windows phone. The components with which it is made are highest quality.
    Yes. I can’t imagine one day without mobile phone. Recently, I use them to buy traffic tickets, pay for bills or relax playing mobile games. In my opinion it’s not bad to use mobile phone to make the most of the daily living activities. It’s 21st century!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1. I have a fairly new Android device. I'm used to Android, and at the moment there wasn't anything cool enough from Microsoft. I didn't even bother looking at iPhones.

    2. I'd buy each newest flag model there is.

    3. I think in many cases that's already happened.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1. Currently I have HTC One (M7) and I bought it because I had HTC once and also I had smartphones of other brandings, and if you ask me, HTC is the best.
    2. HTC One (M9) or/and iPhone 6. Better, faster, stronger.
    3. I think that already happened some time ago. Just look at all these people in buses and subway, with their noses stuck in smartphones

    ReplyDelete