Monday 11 January 2016

Week 12 [11.01-17.01.2016] Field hockey

Field hockey

Another presentation I wanted to write about, it’s a topic that maybe some of you will find interesting. It’s a very specific branch of hockey family - it came from England and then it spread to Scotland and Netherlands - and still it’s a very popular sport in those countries. The main difference is that people play on a grass field. So this is how it works, players play on the grass field, they wear outfits like football players, just like this:

 
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/HOCKEY_ARGENTINA_PAKISTAN.jpg

The other things are protective parts, you need to wear mouth guards - because the ball is very, very hard - it’s heavier and larger than a pool ball. I got hit by that ball and it crushed my ankle, literally crushed it - I was very unlucky back then because I had my protective plates. Another thing which is the hardest to get used to are sticks and actual gameplay.
I will stick to the gameplay at first - players except goalkeepers are the ones who are only allowed to touch the ball and a player’s hand is considered the “part of the stick” and here is the most notable difference - the sticks are only one-sided, you can touch the ball with only one side of the stick - so the basic trick or basic move is  dribbling as shown in the video at:
There is also one thing you can notice, it’s not that easy to play. You need to practice a lot to actually do anything, even basic dribbling and keeping your eyes off the ball is challenging when for example football is easy to play (but hard to master of course), field hockey needs some preparation to actually make anything work.
It’s a very dynamic sport, you run a lot and your body is bend almost all the time, because you need to keep your eyes on the ball, at the same time you need to watch where your teammates are.
Players are allowed to score goals only from a certain place – a shooting circle, when they are out of the circle and even manage to score the goal, it doesn’t count as one. This is the sport which invented the expression of ‘hockey castle’ - when in offensive, the essential thing is to work out your way through the opponents’ defense via teamwork and passing the ball.
So these are generally the very basic rules of field hockey - it’s very teamwork oriented and relies on finding weaknesses in your opponent team and getting the advantage of it.

Sticks are essential to start your adventure with field hockey - there is a wide selection of sticks - they are generally made of wood, fiber glass, or even kevlar. What makes it even more interesting, sticks can have different weight, it depends on personal preferences and materials used to make them. For a  taller person there are sticks adjusted to their height.
Fun fact: In Netherlands a very good stick is made of kevlar and costs the same as 1 kg of meat.


http://hinghamhighfieldhockey.webs.com/Disneys-Field-Hockey-Showcase-to-begin-today.jpg


I picked this topic because of the uniqueness of that discipline - it’s different from other  hockey branches. It’s very exhausting but very satisfying overall and I picked it also because women find it very entertaining, there are a lot of female teams in the Netherland or in U.S.A. - so maybe some of you will find it at least worth trying :)

So I have some questions for you to answer:
1.      Do you find it at least worth trying ? Why yes, why not ?
2.      Did you know that sport at all ? If yes, say something more about it :)
3.      Do you feel it’s a dangerous sport after what I have said about my crushed ankle ? Does it make you feel less comfortable.



26 comments:

  1. 1. Do you find it at least worth trying ? Why yes, why not ?

    I "tried" it many times. Didn't you play it in primary school or gymnasium? I played this branch of hockey many times on physical education. It was fun playing it :)

    2. Did you know that sport at all ? If yes, say something more about it :)

    Yes, but I only know that I played it in gymnasium.

    3. Do you feel it’s a dangerous sport after what I have said about my crushed ankle ? Does it make you feel less comfortable.

    Hmmm, it's a bit dangerous, when I played it there were people who were injured, but from what I know there was never a situation when someone broke a bone or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess You meant Unihockey Hubert. It's something differentyou know :) I think you didn't notice the difference between sticks and ball. Sticks are quite heavy and the ball is very hard - more like a pool ball. It's far more brutal than unihockey we used to play at school :)

      Delete
    2. Ah okey, I thought it's the same :)

      Delete
    3. How did you read it then, god damn it ! :D

      Delete
    4. Hmmm, you wrote that the ball is very heavy, there are protective parts and thats what I noticed different than I played, but I thought its because we played unprofessional and so on ;)

      Delete
    5. I even used the same comparison Hubert (with the ball I mean) but I understand the unprofessional approach :)

      Delete
  2. We did something similar in secondary school, maybe not with professional equipment but rules were quiet the same. Right now I don’t find it any attractive, or worth practicing. It is dangerous, like most of contact sports. Much more I’d play rugby, this is also pretty brutal sport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's comparable how brutal are those sports. Shame, if you like rugby you could have fun practicing field hockey.

      Delete
  3. I think field hockey can be worth trying, acually I have tried it during our PE classes in high school. It is a team sport, so you have to cooperate and it is quite funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wooow really ? I didn't know it was possible ! Damn it, I lost some time then :(

      Delete
  4. I would really like to try playing field hockey. Unfortunately, I heard that there is problem with a court in Poland :( I don't know whether already built... In the old days I represented the high school hockey competition, but at the hall. If I have chance play hockey now I would go with a great desire on the pitch. Every sports has injuries, but worth it to take the risk to make this fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few courts in Warsaw, so easy, the other things are harder to find. I encourage you to do something about it :D.
      At the hall - you mean unihockey right ?

      Delete
  5. Of course it's worth trying! Why not!
    Just like Hubert, I played unihockey a few years ago and it was okay. I wasn't good at this at the beginning but it was fun.

    I didn't knew almost anything about this sport until now. Probably because in our school (polish schools) there is one, main sport. Everyone seems to like it, but i don't. Never mind...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it is how it is right ? :) We need to adjust to the current situation there is no wide selection of sports in our schools - at least I have that impression :)

      Delete
  6. Michał Stankiewicz17 January 2016 at 17:24

    I like these kinds of sports, especially when played with good friends. But I don't know much about it, I'm not following sport in general as I don't consider looking at people practicing it interesting. For me it's more like do or don't, there is no spectating.

    And as it's internet and you're asking me about your accident, the only obvious answer I can give ya is "you're lame, plz stop practicing sports". Every sport is dangerous, at least every meaningful one, and everyone has to be aware of that before starting the training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok so we have here a typical IT guy (oops not really meant to be mean :D). But yea I sucked a bit ;)

      Delete
  7. Of course it is worth trying as every sport but I've never tried it myself because I don't think that playing in the corridor in primary school counts.
    I know it only from hearing. I've never watched a proper game.
    A lot of situations might be dangerous like collisions with other people or legs injuries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not really like this. People really need to watch what is going on the court. So some kind of crashes don't really occur here :)

      Delete
  8. 1. Do you find it at least worth trying ? Why yes, why not ?
    Worth trying, but i dont think i like it. Strange sport as on me, but spending time with friends and have fun is always good.
    2. Did you know that sport at all ? If yes, say something more about it :) - Heard about. As i mentioned above, strange sport. Not popular, i think because it looks a bit retarded. And what about "women find it very entertaining" - find it entertaining compare to chess? Brain is new sexy :p
    3. Do you feel it’s a dangerous sport after what I have said about my crushed ankle ? Does it make you feel less comfortable. Of course it is dangerous, peoples runing with sticks, and flick them. Getting crushed is only time question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take your friends then and go play it :P
      What I meant is - it's very popular for women. Yeah my accident was a bad behaviour of other player but still you need to be careful :)

      Delete
  9. 1. Do you find it at least worth trying? Why yes, why not?
    Of course, it's worth. It's very interesting team game. I had the opportunity to play in a similar hockey (but not on the grass but in the hall). I have very good memories of this game.

    2. Did you know That sport at all? If yes, say something more about it :)
    Although I played similar hockey in the hall, I know only a little about it. I don't know the exact rules of the game. I simply not interested in that sport too much. Probably because it isn't too popular in our country.

    3. Do you feel it's a dangerous sport after what I have said about my crushed ankle? Does it make you feel less comfortable.
    Many sports causes injuries. But this isn't a reason to give up sports activities, which we like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the answer. Unihockey is very fun to play, lot's of running, fast paced gameplay I really love it.
      Shame maybe You will get it someday, hopefully.
      Yeah sports bring injuries, you just need to be careful :)

      Delete
  10. 1. I'm not sure, probably yes, every game that includes a teamplay is very fun and exciting, requires cooperation. So why not.

    2. I didn't, I mean I heard of ice hockey and unihockey, but I didn't know there's also a field variant.

    3. I wouldn't say that field hockey is in any way more "dangerous" than other similar sports. All of them have potential to cause injuries, and I think that this one is not better/worse in any way than other ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the answer. I also were curious about the field hockey variant so I tried it and found it very entertaining.
      Try it out :)

      Delete
  11. I know this sport, I really like it. I used to play at hockey in the school team in my high school and it brought me a lot of fun. It is unfortunate that field hockey is not promoted in Poland.
    Every sport brings people together, so I think it's worth to try, although sometimes it can be dangerous. Someone once said: nothing ventured, nothing gained. I think it is true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No.I am not interested to play this game. Why ? Because after reading your presentation and comments above, Karol I consider that this sport is the most brutal I’ve ever heard.
    I’ve never heard about that sport. A Few years ago I was playing an ice hockey. If we can compare those games it can be fun to play it with friends.
    Yes! It make me feel less comfortable as I said. You have done bad advertisement of this sport. In my opinion goalkeepers who are playing in field hokey are insane because in every minute they can pass away.

    ReplyDelete