Monday 24 March 2014

Week 4: Unforgettable deaths.

Death is often used as a tool to make the audience get shocked, irritated and in overall bring emotions. It is simple to use. In my opinion most of presented deaths are unimportant and they just create background for the main plot, but I have to agree that some pop culture idols’ deaths are unforgettable. Today I want to present two examples of deaths which in my opinion were a great idea but also very unpopular, simply because the fans didn’t want them to die!
This post is based on spoilers, so if you didn’t watch the series, but you want to do it in the future don’t read the paragraph which describes it.

Death Note.

Death Note is about a boy called Light which one day finds a note which appears to be a death note – if you write someone’s name in it he/she will die of heart attack in 40 seconds, basically. Of course Light takes this opportunity to make the world a better place (in his opinion) and here comes his opponent called “L” who wants the world to be as it is and to catch Light.
[http://ladygeekgirl.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/kira-death-note-21955373-599-337.gif]

Who was L?
            He was the main positive character who also was quite autistic and liked to eat a lot of candies, make strange face expressions etc., but on the top of that he was a great detective and could solve and put in prison almost every offender. He wanted to be a friend of Light as well… Till his death he was not sure if Light was his opponent, he didn’t want to believe it and he wanted to trust him, which makes the whole situation even more tragic.
[http://www.toy-tma.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Death-Note-L-Cell-Phone-580x326.jpg]

[http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3898/p5f.gif]

[http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/183/3/0/__l_____death_note_by_niilode-d3ksanp.gif]


Who killed him?
            To be specific it was the death god – Shinigami who wanted to protect a valuable person for her. But we all know that it was the evil plan of Light! He put everyone in this specific position like pawns on the chess board, so there would be no other option for Shinigami. He was just cruel. For next 5 minutes of this episode after his death I thought that he would just wake up and just not-be-dead. It didn’t happen.
What were the consequences?
            The consequences for the series were even worse, no one knew who killed L and Light was free and happy and he continued his evil plan – he didn’t pay for L’s death.



Attack on titan (Shingeki no kyojin)

If you think that R.R. Martin has to really like to kill his characters, you will think Isayama Hajime created SnK series just to kill as many well developed characters as his editor let him so he can take a bath every night in fans’ tears. And this is not a joke, unfortunately.
This series in overall is about a group of friends which want to fight and survive in the world where only very high wall is protecting them from the Titans which are humanoid monsters that  only want to eat humans.
[http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/179/e/3/attack_on_titan_gif_by_inele1-d6b2u6y.gif]


Now let me present my favorite plot twist which includes deaths:
Levi's squad (Petra Ral, Oluo Bozado, Gunther Schultz, Eld Jinn)
Who were they?
            “They were considered the most elite squadron, having a total kill record exceeding 200 and were capable of killing nigh any Titans in their way. They had the ability to sync with each other to coordinate their attacks without talking.”*
Who killed them?
            Annie Leonhardt in the form of Female Titan. She killed everyone in less than a minute. Because she was trained to be a solider she knew how they would try to kill her and take the opportunity to attack when they were thinking that she is highly injured (blind).
What were the consequences?
            The most heart breaking moment was after the massacre when their leader saw what happened and looked at every other dead body. The director should get an Oscar for that.


[http://s1.zerochan.net/Demotivational.Poster.600.1583362.jpg]

I know I could just write about the Games of Thrones, which would fit this topic perfectly, but I wanted to leave it to you :)

Sources:
* http://shingekinokyojin.wikia.com/wiki/Special_Operations_Squad_(Team)

1.Do you have your example of unpopular but well written (developed) death? Present it to us. It could be the video game, a book, a movie or a TV series!

2. Which death in your opinion was just a filler and was highly unimportant/silly? As in the first question you can use an example from anything you want.

3. Do you know any plot twist which is surprising but does not include someone’s death? 

12 comments:

  1. I'm not that much into anime, but I watched the whole Death Note series and L is one of my favorite characters ever. Also, as I'm usually furious about the death of my favorite character, I think his death was... well-written, I guess? Everyone who watched last episodes of the season was prepared for this, and the preparation was slow. The doom was imminent, I guess, and the scene when L is washing feet of his opponent, Kira, is perfect - in all its biblical symbolism and dark atmosphere.

    1. It's so hard to write it without spoilers, so I guess nobody will mind this. I think the best known death in modern popculture is the death of Albus Dumbledore from Harry Potter series. Very well-written and sad, it's often compared with Sirius Black death from the same series, which was too sudden and controversial - some fans were really angry and begged an author to change the plot!

    2. BIG SPOILER FOR THOSE WHO DIDN'T READ THE GAME OF THRONES BOOKS - the death of Brienne of Tarth. The character herself was not unimportant or silly, but her death certainly was. Why Martin did this - I have no idea... I guess he just loves killing good characters and leaving the most boring or evil ones alive.

    3. Everyone who watched latino soap operas knows. "Darling, I love you, but it turns out that I'm your sister!"... Oh wait, that was not a latino soap opera, that was Star Wars :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have much to say about this subject…I don't know the serie you write about and actually I have this kind of animation- anime.

    I agree with @MartnaZaych about the Dumbledore and Sirius Black. I adore Harry Potter serie so I was extremely sad when both of those deaths took place. But anyway they were well written. I am keen of Rowling's style.
    Referring to the Game of Thrones I am so fed up with death in it. Firstly Ned stark and then almost his whole family..Eh I don't like it…

    Suprising plot appared in Sherlock Holmes at the end of serie 3 it turns up that Watson's wife is a secret agent:P

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH NO, Iza spoiled Sherlock for me : /

    But that reminds me of the fact that the "death" of Sherlock Holmes was hard to forget, too. Although I really think it was silly how they explained his faked suicide... As the script writers usually try to complicate the plot but still make it believable, they didn't manage to do that then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1.Do you have your example of unpopular but well written (developed) death? Present it to us. It could be a the video game, a book, a movie or a TV series!

    I also wanted to see new Sherlock not knowing the secret of his death..ehh. I know one genius example of unpopular well directed death. A well known artist faked her death and gave an information about her funeral to all her family, friends, everybody who knew her. She prepared everything so well, that all of them believed in her accident. When the funeral started she was hidden and was making photos of the reactions of her beloved. I found a page when we can read about other creative fake deaths http://listverse.com/2010/11/08/top-10-people-who-faked-their-deaths/
    I know that there examples are not a part of a plot of a movie or game, but these examples had to be directed with even more caution ;)

    2. Which death in your opinion was just a filler and was highly unimportant/silly? As in the first question you can use an example from anything you want.

    In my opinion it isn't hard to notice that the plot is well or badly written, I can't remember any exact example of unimportant death- maybe it is because I never remember movies which I considered unimportant ;)

    3. Do you know any plot twist which is surprising but does not include someone’s death?

    In antic tragedy we can see all kinds of other twists – just like Martyna wrote – not only there ;) The same twist can be used in many good and bad productions- because not only a surprising twist makes a movie a mysterious one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1.Do you have your example of unpopular but well written (developed) death? Present it to us. It could be a the video game, a book, a movie or a TV series!
    I have no idea what is what are You asking for. Well developed death? Derp derp. Maybe what You're asking for is a spectacular death?
    2. Which death in your opinion was just a filler and was highly unimportant/silly? As in the first question you can use an example from anything you want.
    No death is silly or unimportant. I think I migh not know anything about the subject You're asking of.
    3. Do you know any plot twist which is surprising but does not include someone’s death?
    Maybe like in any 007 movies where they kill a lot of people or something and the main "lover" character gets killed in every movie? So yeah, there's that...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Maria
    Thank you for good an good example! I didn't know that they could be people who would want to fake their death for no particular reason, just to see how others would react, in my opinion it is cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Martyna Zych
    I agree, fans were waiting two yeras for new season and they showed up with strange explanation.

    I also agree this plot twist in Star Wars was great! Fortunately Martin soon will kill one of the most hated character, on his own wedding! Hurray! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Izabela Litwin Photography Design
    Plot twist with Mary Watson was suprising I hope that we will see her more in the next season, because she is an interesting character.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think whole series of Final Destination is great example of well written death. :D
    I never think about the death in this category. I always thought that death is a result of something else or something more. Not just like because someone write me name etc.
    I don't know any of these examples you show us, so I can't say anything more in this topic :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. AAAAAAA @MARTYNA ZYCH SO SORRY:*

    @Natalia tru she is, but personally I think sherlocked used to be better, do you thisk it will get as good as 2 seazon - I think it was the best...

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1.Do you have your example of unpopular but well written (developed) death? Present it to us. It could be a the video game, a book, a movie or a TV series!
    Zack from final fantasy. Generally speaking he fights to the death with hundreds of enemies to protect his friend. And he defeats all of them, but falls due to injuries. He then says goodbye to his friend and wishes him to live his life to the fullest, for both of them, and dies. It's trully epic and great end for the hero.

    2. Which death in your opinion was just a filler and was highly unimportant/silly? As in the first question you can use an example from anything you want. Every dead stormtrooper in Star Wars :)

    3. Do you know any plot twist which is surprising but does not include someone’s death?
    "Luke I'm your father" or Vanilla Sky, when we are told that everything that just happened, was virtual.

    ReplyDelete

  12. I took me a while to recall a well-written death. I’m watching many horrors and criminals movies/series where death is a common thing, so it’s hard to choose a good one. But… the most shocking death for me took place in TV series “Teen Wolf”. One of the main heroes-Alison- died while saving her friend from bad forces. She died in the arms of her first true love Scott. And all of her friends have seen it. It was very sad and emotive. I cried for about 10 minutes. Yes, I know you will probably laugh that I’m watching a series for teenage girls, but it’s my guilty pleasure series and it’s really good.

    @Martyna and @Iza, I also love “Harry Potter”. For me the most touching was death of Hedwig, a Harry Potter’s owl.

    ReplyDelete