Monday 24 March 2014

Week 4: Animation – how is it created?

Probably most of you have seen a piece of Japanese animation, e.g. Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon and Tsubasa. Have you ever wondered how such animation is created? Is it only work of powerful hardware or is there something more?

Today’s presentation is also related to pop culture, let me present steps to create  great animation!

Firstly, you have to have an idea, sometimes it is selected at a brainstorming session in the company, but also it is a good idea to create an anime from a successful manga, possibility of success in this option is bigger, because most manga fans would watch anime based on their favorite manga.  After the management select the idea, a team is put together and sponsors are searched if needed.

Secondly, you have to get a general concept of the plot which includes character and storyline creation. It is also easier if your anime is based on a manga.  Then scriptwriters and artists write a detailed script, characters and background. When it is done they select best scenes which are included in the anime. If you are curious – yes everything at this step is manually drawn, every character in different clothing, mood or angle.  When the artist is done with working on the character drawing, it is covered with ink so it is more visible when it is scanned.

 - character
[http://i.umumble.com/img/topic-1319465968.jpg]
 - an outline
[http://i.umumble.com/img/topic-1319466043.jpg]

What about the background? It is often drown separately from everything, sometimes photos are used to minimize the work.
[http://i.umumble.com/img/topic-1319466127.jpg]

[http://i.umumble.com/img/topic-1319466165.jpg]


And here starts real work! Artists have to draw about 12 frames per second (for TV anime, but it could be 24 or 8) between created outlines of the storyline. For only one 24 min episode they have to draw about 17 280 frames! Of course they work on computers from now. After that other artists smooth this animation so that it would look natural.  Colors are also added at that time as well as other minor effects like sparks or stars. The Director is looking after the whole process and keeps an eye on everything.  When the whole animation is created voices are recorded and background music is added. To be Seiyu (voice actor) is a serious business in Japan and some of them are even more popular than traditional actors!

The final stage is showing it and counting money from commercials, figures, DVDs and other things you can buy from the original distributor. :)

Below you can find some animations which in my opinion are great and worth mentioning. Don’t worry I won’t show you old animations. I want to take under consideration modern pieces of art. Be aware I’m not recommending some of presented animations, because their plots aren’t good. Unfortunately good animation doesn’t mean a good plot.

Hal


[http://24.media.tumblr.com/79653683e38013a86fcd9cdfc09d38ef/tumblr_myfof7iLGg1qbvovho1_500.gif]

Kyoukai no kanata

[http://i.imgur.com/dcaBVxC.gif]

[http://i.imgur.com/omXbdtX.gif]

[http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/285/c/d/45dga_by_naomi_pie-d6q7jbq.gif]

[https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi87Jjj2AcK1p0qTsh6VxVlBxU0nKvuWC8DFUqm1g0iCm7iLyaLgtYV5_y-mFyOC1nqVfpJtnSA7Xc33KFBZ72E_zx-XwswD1VuhyphenhyphenszTQyEkagII77fDzl9_8RMhNg8YtoxSlrUMONvmhQ/s1600/more+bucket+glory.gif]

samurai champloo

[http://i.imgur.com/3v176tL.gif]

[http://media.giphy.com/media/ZcCBD4u1QQHq8/giphy.gif]

Psycho pass 

[http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121012161301/psychopass/images/1/10/Dominator-eliminator.gif]

[http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KBhRheWbzqU/UQwspK43KLI/AAAAAAAAAvg/I1Uj_e48G2w/s1600/tumblr_mh3ngfjRJb1qgweumo1_500.gif]

 1. Do you like this kind of animation? Why?

2. Do you have your favorite animation (taking under consideration only how it is animated)? If no what about a movie ( and taking into consideration special effects)?

3. Are you able to watch something only because it has extremely good special effects/ animation?  Are you able to watch something with really bad animation/ special effects, but with a great plot?


13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. By "this" you assumed the anime style, I guess. Anime is the weirdest type of cartoon animation, knowing the fact that the amount of series made annually is gigantic, and its way of animating is the cheapest and fastest one. That being said, a lot of anime series are drawn awfully, like the famous Naruto. Others, for instance, have awesome character design and single animations, but the whole episodes seem cheap as crackers, using just few repeatable frames and terrible anatomical studies through movement (for example, Hellsing). So... I am a fan of some series, including Hellsing, but at least the drawings must be good enough to keep me watching.

    2. I do, I love Animatrix series and "Beyond" by Koji Morimoto is my favorite one.



    3. Umm... That's an interesting question. Surprisingly, I think I would rather watch a movie with good special effects and bad plot than vice versa. As I said, I couldn't stand watching Naruto because of the animation, but the plot was not that good either, I guess. In addition, I totally love movies following some simple story, but with awesome special effects - like Avatar.

    However, there are some examples of awesome-looking movies which I hate because of the plot - the most recent example is "Gravity".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry but I actually hate anime:P It is so irritating for me really…

    But I love animation - normal ( at least for me:P) one. When I was a child I adored Disney's animation. I have just bought a book about him and I am looking forward to read it.
    Only last week on pur "history of aniamtion" lesson we were talking about first animation in Europe - check out Lotte Reinger's work.

    I love Shreck and Brave….

    It is hard question. I think it depends on a movie. Recently I saw "300: the reie of the empire" the plot and dialouges were so dull but I watched it anyway because of specail effects. And even though I quite liked them I was so bored at the and that I think the plot is important. It can be simple as @Martyna mentined but it must be rough and interesting….

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well.. I also can't say that I love anime. I can't also say that I hate it- I agree that there are many examples of good and bad animations in that style. I generally don't like the way people are drawn in such animations but as far as plot is concerned, there's a director- Hayao Miyazaki – his stories are great! I love the world which he created in his anime movies, full of spirits which has a lot to do with Japanese tradition.
    I can watch a movie only with a good plot or only with a good animation, but the truth is, we're used to see the best quality of animations, even if it is an ad. So when both the plot and animation is fine, it is a real pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. I have never liked Japanese-style animated movies because they were often brutal and they bored me. Therefore, I am not a fan of that kind of animation. Of course, I watched animated movies as a kid but it used to be more Donald Duck, Tom & Jeery or Wolf & Rabbit.

    2. In terms of full-time movies I really enjoyed "The Lion King" - it is really top quality cinema although it is still animated. As for special effects I think that in nowaday movies there is too much of flashes and bangs and it stopped making impression on the audience. I remember watching Star Wars - and I think it was one of a few science-fiction movie with special effects I enjoyed watching.

    3. When I go to the cinema and choose a movie I always read what about the movie is - I don't care who starrs in it or what special effects are going to surprise. Plot is the most important thing, definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Do you like this kind of animation? Why?
    You mean like cartoons in general or anime. I'm not a big fan of anime in general.I don't see in them anything that can of added value to me.

    2. Do you have your favorite animation (taking under consideration only how it is animated)? If no what about a movie ( and taking into consideration special effects)?
    I think that this is exactly the same question as Your first one. Do You like, and what is Your favourite. The problem I have is that answer for both of these questions is negative so I have nothing to share.

    3. Are you able to watch something only because it has extremely good special effects/ animation? Are you able to watch something with really bad animation/ special effects, but with a great plot?
    Are You able? Well obviously You are ABLE to watch anything. The answer You're looking for is whether I would watch this or that because of some reasons. Like I've said in the beginning - I'm not a fan of anime - so no. I wouldn't. To me it would be a waste of time. Anyone can have their own opinion :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Martyna Zych
    I agree that most anime are drawn awfully especially if they have more than 100 episodes. Animatrix series are also one of my favourite ones their styles were unique.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Maria
    Hayao Miyazaki's work is great! Every character is well developed and animation is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Tomek Kerber
    The Lion King had great plot and also animation. It is one of the movies which you can't simply forget about even after many years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do I like animation - yes. Do I like mangas style animation - no.
    For sure animation should be visually appealing, and this is matter of taste. I really dont like simplicity of movements use in this type of animation. They talk, they fight they to other cool stuff on the wing, and the time is freeze. Everything what surrounds characters is fuzzy. I just don't like this type of "reality". this is not my taste.
    Iwatch many animation many of them was impressing. I don't remember if I had the best one. Animation for me is art. Art should be spectacular. Uniq with all aspects. Beautiful for eyes. Many films I had seen is art for me. I see in them something new. Yes I often watch films and movies only that they are just good in graphical sense for eg. This is some form of curiosity in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. Do I like anime? Yes. Why? I like this kind of drawing. It brings back memories. When you think about it. Dragon Ball, Slayers, Pokemon, Yattaman and many more cartoons which we watched as kids are actually anime.

    2. Do you have your favorite animation (taking under consideration only how it is animated)? If no what about a movie ( and taking into consideration special effects)?
    Trigun. Animation is less sweet-like and more rough.

    3. Are you able to watch something only because it has extremely good special effects/ animation? Are you able to watch something with really bad animation/ special effects, but with a great plot?
    I think that I'm in between of this. Sometimes great plot is enough and sometimes I just can't stand such a awful animation

    ReplyDelete
  12. This weekend I had to create a few one minutes long animations for my classes, so what an up to date topic for me :).
    I’m not a fan of Japanese anime. When I was a kid I have watched the “Sailor Moon” but that’s all. I love the Disney animation. I’ve seen almost every when I was young. Right now I also like to watch they movies with my younger sisters.

    My favourite animations are “The Maker” and the Oscar winner from 2012, “The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore”. In my opinion both stories are very touching and well animated.
    I highly recommend watching them, so here are links to the youtube:

    The Maker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDXOioU_OKM

    The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VljJIQuPDSE

    @Maria & Natalia, I also like Hayao Miyazaki! Actually he is the only Japanese animation director who I like. His „Howl's moving castle” is my favourite movie. The story is amazing. There is everything I like in movies: a little bit of love, a little bit of magic and a lot of friendship. And it’s perfectly made!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1. Do you like this kind of animation? Why?
    Sometimes but I am not watching every. I has style.
    2. Do you have your favorite animation (taking under consideration only how it is animated)? If no what about a movie ( and taking into consideration special effects)?
    Ghost in the shell is the best ever. Close second is Akira.
    3. Are you able to watch something only because it has extremely good special effects/ animation? Are you able to watch something with really bad animation/ special effects, but with a great plot?
    For the first its usually not. I still wonder about watching new godzilla.
    For second sometimes. I can be fun after all.

    ReplyDelete