Tuesday 18 March 2014

week 3: AND THE OSCAR GOES TO…

At the beginning of March there was the 86. Oscar Awards Gala organized by the American Academy of Film. Instead of writing about winners, I would like to tell you about the biggest loser of this year’s gala. It’s of course Leonardo DiCaprio. 



Leonardo is 40 years old and this was his fourth nomination to the prestigious award. He got his first nomination for “What’s Eating Gilbert Grape” in 1994, the second for “Aviator” in 2005 and the third for “Blood Diamond” in 2007. This year he was nominated in The Best Actor category for the role of Jordan Belford In “Wolf of Wall Street” directed by Martin Scorsese. The story is about a broker who quickly became very successful and began to earn lots of money. His out of law lifestyle quickly attracts attention of FBI. I won’t tell you more, because I don’t want to spoil the fun of people who haven’t seen it yet.

Long time before the gala the Internet was full of speculation whether Leo would finally get his dreamed award. For what I saw, many people had fingers crossed for him.

[http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/files/ftpuploads/bloguploads/1113/leo-dicaprio-oscar-meme.jpg]


Many articles were written why Oscar should go to Leonardo.

Here there are a few examples:

    1.     His four earlier nominations.
    2.     His underestimated play in „Titanic” as touching, heroic, humble and amazing Jack Dawson.   
    3.     It’s been over two decades since his first Oscar nomination, so it’s just about time!

More you can find here.


Of course there were also articles why Leo wouldn’t get it. I have to admit that the reasons I found were quite funny:
1.    Maybe he sent letters filled with glitter to all Academy voters’ asking them to help save sharks somewhere.
2. They’re waiting until he stars in at least five films in one year, so he can only run against himself for the best actor and the only mystery is what movie he will win for.
3.     I don’t know . . . did he kick a puppy? He would never kick a puppy.
I recommend reading the whole article here.


Irrespective of the articles, Leonardo didn’t win the Oscar. Why? In spite of his great play, the movie didn’t make a good impression. It was judged as a vulgar comedy full of nudity. DiCaprio worked really hard to make a convincing hero. Belford is a wicked fraud who caused many honest people to lose lots of money. His “la dolce vita” is filled with sex and drugs. The conservative jurors don’t like movies like this. Some of the members of Academy considered the film impropriate after the first showing.  Apparently, one of them told to Scorsese that he should be ashamed of this piece. Then the daughter of one of the “Wolf” partners expressed disgust. Finally a “Business Insider” journalist went to see the movie with the people of Wall Street. He was shocked when he saw their enthusiastic reaction. Taking into account all the above, it was impossible for Leo to be rewarded with an Oscar. I’m sorry.



It’s worth mentioning, that Leo isn’t alone in the Academy oblivion. In the history of cinema there were many great artists ignored by the American jury. For example: Alfred Hitchcock, Rita Hayworth, Marline Monroe, Marlene Dietrich, just to name a few.  It’s hard to imagine Hollywood without them, nevertheless, their work was never honoured by the gold statuette. Stanley Kubrick has won just one Oscar and it was for special effects in “2001: A Space Odyssey”!!! Also today there are artists who are regularly overlooked by the Academy Awards. I think Leonardo is one of the persons most ungracefully treated by the Academy.  

[http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/screencrush.com/files/2013/02/2013_oscars_poster.jpg]


However… Leo shouldn’t be really worried, because the actors from the Intimate Theatre in Russia gave him an award which imitates the real Oscar. DiCaprio also will get a lifetime free entrance to the Theatre. I think that’s really nice of them :). I haven’t found any information if Leo enjoyed the prize. I hope that thanks to the Russian Oscar he will forget about the American one.


Questions:
   1.     Do you think that Leonardo should have won the Oscar?
   2.     What’s your favourite actor?
   3.    Would you like to take part in the Oscar Gala?

14 comments:

  1. Do I think that Leonardo should have won the Oscar? Absolutely yes. I think he's a great actor. As for me, he deserved for Oscar even for 'What’s Eating Gilbert Grape' or 'The Aviator', not to mention the brilliant role in 'Django' and equally good in 'Blood Diamond'. He starred in numerous other great movies: 'Shutter Island', 'Inception', 'The Wolf of Wall Street'. He played with the greatest actors and worked with the greatest directors, rarely got bad reviews. Not many actors can boast such an interesting career.

    I like watching movies but I haven’t favourite actor. Leonardo di Caprio. Johny Depp, Morgan Freeman, Danzel Washington - with these actors I associate great movies. They play interesting roles but it doesn’t mean that I am a big fan of them.

    Would I like to take part in the Oscar Gala? Yes, why not. I’ve never even watched any, but it seems to be a good fun. As a guest of course, I don’t really count on nominations to Academy Award :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mariusz- I definitely agree with you. For me Leonardo DiCaprio is one of the best actors and he always chooses great roles. I haven't watched “Django” because I don't like Quentin Tarantino movies, but I've heard he was awesome (as always :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally think that the Academy's decision this year was right - Leonardo shouldn't get the Oscar for "Wolf of Wall Street". The movie was really good and his actor skills are truely professional, but the subject spoke for itself - it was a movie about drugs, money and living a succesful life while being evil, when the other movies were absolutely serious and emotional. Matthew McConaughey, who has won the Oscar, played the role of a cowboy suffering from AIDS and homophobia, while being completely heterosexual and homophobic himself - at first, at least. The whole movie was meaningful and thoughtful and couldn't lose to something quite good, but vulgar.

    I like many actors, but my two personal favorites right now are Tilda Swifton and Tom Hiddleston. By the way, they both play a great couple in recent Jarmusch' movie, "Only Lovers Left Alive" - truely, a masterpiece of cinematography.

    Taking part in Oscar Gala would be great, but also exhausting, I guess. It's good that Ellen DeGeneres brought some pizza to those hungry actors this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest I was 100% sure that this time he will win. Imagine my state of mind when I realised that he had actually lost..So many excellent movies in such period of time @Mariusz Sz said all the titles. And "Wolf of Wall Street" is a great movie. One can agree one can disagree but I am convinced that all must admit that his acting skills were the bst there. To be honest I haven't seen that movie with Mattiew McConaughey - the winner- but still....I don't have one avourite actor but if I had to choose I would say hmmm probably..Michael fassbender. He is gret. And actres - I fave few favourites - Cate Blanchet, Meryl Streep...Yes I would like to take part in the big Gala to see the event on my own eyes. But mayb the whole thing, it must be pretyy boring to sit few hours watching announcements of the winners...T be honest my personal favourite part of the whole Oscars is watching those great dresses:P

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is hard not to agree with the main thesis of the article - Leonardo Di Caprio is definitely on the most talented actors of the last 20 years and he starred in many famous films. Not only to mention that, has he also been exceptionally good in all of them. He is not a one-act man. However, personally my favourite movie with Leonardo di Caprio is "Revolutionary Road" which I strongly recommend. What is interesting, he has not been even nominated for this movie. I enjoyed "Revolutionary Road" so much because it was fun to see the Leonardo Ci Caprio and Kate Winslet in the same movie after almost twenty years. And, what is the most important, in my opionion they formed even better partnership than in the famous Titanic. Of course, the topic of this movie is totally different, but again I was able to feel that there is some chemistry when they work together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Martyna- I haven’t seen the „Dallas Buyers Club” yet, because it’s in cinemas only one week. I guess it’s a great movie if it has won three Oscars: for The Best Actor, for The Best Supporting Actor and for The Best Makeup and Hairstyling :). I agree with you that „movie about drugs, money and living a successful life while being evil” just couldn’t win Oscar although Leonardo was amazing.

    @Izabela- Haha for me watching those beautiful dresses is also the best part of the Gala!

    @Tomek- I’ve seen the "Revolutionary Road" but it was like 6 years ago. I don’t remember exactly the story, but I remember I was touched. Seeing Leo and Kate together on the screen is always a wonderful experience :) You are right, there is some chemistry between them when they work together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that Leonardo DiCaprio is a good actor. It’s sad, however, that he’s starred in such horrible movies as "Titanic"! His best role is definitely Arnie from "What’s Eating Gilbert Grape". Leo acted so well that after the premiere, someone accused the producers of using mentally ill people in the movie.
    The accusation was the highest praise an actor could get! :)
    I have always been a big Jack Nicholson fan! I still like him a lot, but I think he’s been playing the same character over and over again – a crazy person! He’s great, but I don’t think we can call him outstanding for doing the same thing all the time?
    Martyna Zych, I agree that "Only Lovers Left Alive" is an amazing movie! Tilda Swinton is great, and she has been in many movies before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Maria- Why do you think „Titanic” is horrible? You are the first person I know who said that! When I was in film school in LA even teacher said that „Titanic” is his guilty pleasure movie.
    I’m also Jack Nicholson fan. I think he plays crazy people because he looks like one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. Do you think that Leonardo should have won the Oscar?
    Well I think that he is quite good actor and he deserves at least one Oscar. In my opinion an actor should be praised by how good job has he done, not by the movie. I liked him especially in Gangs of New York and Django.
    2. What’s your favourite actor?
    Leslie Nielsen, Louis de Funès, Jackie Chan. When I see those names in a movie I know I will have a great time.

    3. Would you like to take part in the Oscar Gala?
    Sure, sounds fun. I'd like to see what they've come up with with my own eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. I don't think so, I wasn't his best role, so he dosen't deserve it - as well as he didn't deserve the nomination.
    2. I don't have favourite actor, but I apreceite Jennifer Lawrence work - she is very talented actress. In every movie she play I don't see Jennifer I see played character.
    3. No, I wouldn't like to, I would feel like in the zoo - when I'm part of atractions, not person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't seen The Wolf Of Wall Street yet, but I heard that it's great, and I do want to watch it, despite of my reluctance for the subject matter of the movie. Therefore I can't make a judgement, whether he deserves the award for this piece or not.
    What I can say about Leonardo's acting skills, is that he was terrific in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, and he should win the Oscar then (not to mention he was only 18-19 years old!). The fact is that there was too strong competition and DiCaprio was the youngest nominated in his category.
    Nevertheless I think Leo is one of the most underrated actors lately.
    My favourite actor? I don't have only one favourite actor/actress really. There are a few, for example Harrison Ford, Bruce Willis, Gary Oldman, etc.
    To be a part of the Oscar Gala? Hmm, sounds good... Yeah, I think I would enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Martyna- I’ve just seen the „Dallas Buyers Club” and you are 100% right. This movie is excellent and beautiful. It gives people hope. After I’ve seen it I don’t have any doubt, only Matthew could win the Oscar!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Questions:
    1. Do you think that Leonardo should have won the Oscar?
    No. He should be the one without one. Why? For fun ,for thrills. There always has to be that one guy...
    2. What’s your favourite actor?
    boring answer - don't have one. really. depending on the movie and the mood I'm in - I love all of em.
    3. Would you like to take part in the Oscar Gala?
    Nope. Naah. Nooo. Why? Boooooring. Hey look at that guy - he just won an oscar! Good for him. Rinse and repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. Do you think that Leonardo should have won the Oscar?
    No I didnt like Wolf of Wallstreet much. Leo was good in it, he showed much.
    But Matthew Mcconaughey for sure deserved an Oscar more.
    2. What’s your favourite actor?
    Maybe Brad Pitt.
    3. Would you like to take part in the Oscar Gala?
    Im not the gala guy but for this I could make an exception.

    ReplyDelete