Saturday 21 December 2013

Week 12: MAC vs PC

I know that this topic is like stick in the anthill, but I would like to hear your opinions :)


Few years ago the case was clear: Apple computers used mainly by professionals such as graphic designers. Then it became fashionable in some circles. But it is impossible not to notice that today more and more people are buying them too, who until recently used PCs - just for entertainment or everyday work.

About Macs There are many myths.
Some of them are completely untrue, while others contain a grain of truth. Does Photoshop work better on OS X than on Windows? No.

Although I used to - PS was written natively on Apple's system, and only later adapted to Windows. It was a long time ago, in times like Mac’s weren’t yet on Intel processors. Most applications have similar requirements for both platforms and operate in similar yield. Currently, there is no hardware difference between conventional computers and those of Apple. They have a motherboard that cannot be normally buy in the store, but the architecture is the same.
This OS is not good in itself only, this is due to the small number of Mac configuration (compared to PC) is very well optimized.

A little parody Apple vs Microsoft - Funny Hitler Parody

Now pros for the PCs.
Windows has a few things that are really big advantages.. As I look at computers and upgrading, I look at turnover. Macs tend to last longer, but they also get outdated at the same rate as PCs, which doesn’t do them any good. Most professionals need the best technology at that moment for the lowest possible cost. I’m trying to stay ahead of the curve. I am always keeping my eyes peeled for the next big thing in technology and thinking about how I can utilize it to make my workflow easier.
Another advantage is flexibility. PC can be easily customize to your needs, add more drives, add hardware to it, and more. In Mac this is only possible in the Mac Pro in a very limited extent.
PC unquestionably offers more options, at least when it comes to bigger apps like music players, video players, IM clients, and other things of that nature.

What about price?
Watch the video below, and do some math.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbSwuZ4i_Is

Why chose Mac:   
  • Macs offer a more straightforward approach to computing with fewer maintenance tasks
  • Macs software, on average, focuses more on its user interface and making your experience enjoyable than Windows software does
  • Other Apple devices work best with Apple computers
  • Macs have fewer viruses and security issues
  • Macs can provide UNIX-like experience.



Why chose PCs:
  • Provide lots of flexibility and customization
  • Offer support for cutting-edge hardware
  • More software available than any other platform
  • Offers great backwards-compatibility
  • Gaming experience, great hardware support and lots of games
  • Windows is the same platform most of the world uses


now relax your emotions  J

http://cw.ua.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/pc-vs-mac_dsc_8015_mhughes_cropped.jpg

Mac vs. PC. The same could be applied to other arguments, such as Nikon vs. Canon. It really doesn’t matter. Each company has their strengths and weaknesses. All that matters is that you can work around them to make something great.

So for whom are Macs?
My opinion:
For anyone who doesn't intend to worry about hardware and software, only wants to work in peace. Macs aren't perfect, but they are incomparably closer to the ideal than computers with Windows.
So what do I use?
A combination of both, and I would recommend you it.

And now something below the belt for PC users J

Questions:
  1. How is it in your environment?
  2. Have you noticed the growing popularity of appliances with apples among your friends?
  3. Why do we care?
  4. Can the equipment you choose make a difference in your work?

11 comments:

  1. I think that Apple devices are great. I use iPhone for a long time, and it never dissapointed me. I use also iPad. I not have Mac Book or any of these, but I really like their desing. All of Apple devices are fabulous. Sold in milion . But they have one disadvantage, a price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have never had any Apple device. Some my friends and family members have them, but I don't really feel the need to buy a MAC or iPhone etc. Recently I didn't have any problems with my PC or mobile phone. Probably if I had to use MAC, for example in a workplace, then I would get use to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HATE mac!! this is the worst something ever. We have awesomes new classrom with macs.... yea... hurra.. but... they didn't work! we have always problems with log in, internet and everything...
    One time i was in apple store, try open something on this briliant things... and it stop working.
    Other think it cost co much money. U can have PC about half of price, where u can install everything, have all programs.
    For macs laptop u must pay around 6k, when stronger normal laptop cost about 4,5k.
    Only one good think about apple it's they little ipod 5 generation. it's only good product of them, it's small, and have touch screen, but now there a lot of cheaper models diferent company... and i have it only because i win it xD for sure i will never buy it by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like Apple devices as they have a very sleek design. Their devices are extremely easy to use and they do exactly what there were designed to do. This is only possible because Apple not only creates the physical hardware but also designs the software which works seamlessly together and keeps their customers happy and wanting for more of their gadgets. I have a MacBook for over 6 years now and I’m still very happy as I don’t have to play around too much with it to get it ready to work. Everything in 1 package 

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was always with the "why would anyone buy Apple" camp until I bought an Apple computer - the Macbook Air. While I'm not a fan of some things about the system, it's still better than Windows 8 (that made me actually switch to Mac). I grew to appreciate the Air though - it looks really nice, is small and light and good quality. The touchpad gestures allow me to operate the computer even more conveniently than Lenovo Trackpoint (which is second best).

    All in all, both systems have their positives and negatives and moving to Apple you have to make some sacrifices, but in the end you'll likely be satisfied. Even though you might not feel good about spending so much, as in Poland Apple computers are ridiculously overpriced.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good topic. One time there was a guy who just bought a MAC. At the same time i got a new laptop. He said to me that the PC is crap and windows is the worse operating system ever. OK i said. And then I thought that perhaps the MAC is better than PC.
    After some time he said to me that the MAC never crushes or freez. I thought hmm... thats really good, system that is stable and never fail.

    But then after few days he tried to do some graphic design work and while working his MAC simple crashed.. Not only he lost all his work but he also felt very embarrassed in front of me (As I was there when it crashed)

    To make a nice ending to the story I informed him that my new laptop did not fail me once since i got it.

    Whats better ?
    No opinion. Both are good products. However Microsoft had his bad days like XP and so on...


    ReplyDelete
  8. Personally, I definitely prefer devices with installed Windows OS. That choice disqualifies all computers with white logo that looks like apple. It's the reason of my previous experiences, since I remember I've been using Microsoft software and simply I've got used to work in such environment. Even now, in work, almost all devices work on Windows (without one classroom) - they are much easier to maintain than Macs. That is answer for one of your questions, I cannot imagine how our university would look only with products. One more sentence about security issue, I'm almost sure that in some time there will appear much more viruses designed for iOS-based software - they become more and more popular so infecting them is becoming more profitable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Personally, I definitely prefer devices with installed Windows OS. That choice disqualifies all computers with white logo that looks like apple. It's the reason of my previous experiences, since I remember I've been using Microsoft software and simply I've got used to work in such environment. Even now, in work, almost all devices work on Windows (without one classroom) - they are much easier to maintain than Macs. That is answer for one of your questions, I cannot imagine how our university would look only with products. One more sentence about security issue, I'm almost sure that in some time there will appear much more viruses designed for iOS-based software - they become more and more popular so infecting them is becoming more profitable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I see that only I use Linux ;P. All systems have big drawbacks. I don't agree with the opinions that Mac is weak, that it does not work and is very emergency. This is nonsense. You need to know how to use this OS. The disadvantage is the price of a Mac. Average equipment for a very high price. Another drawback is closed source. If you are using a apple laptop, you must use the iPhone, iPad and all other iDevice.
    Windows disadvantage is that it is Windows. End of story ;).
    I found the ideal in the form of Linux. You need to have the skills to use it but it meets all my needs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I prefer PC computers, because I can do absolutely everything with them (in terms of customization, of course). If something doesn't work quite right, it's almost always my fault and I can repair it at home with screwdriver and some patience. I'm a gamer and game developer, so I usually don't consider Mac computers as work tools at all. However, I will probably buy Mac laptop one day just for music making - there is clearly no better software than its dedicated one.

    Other Apple gadgets, such as tablets or phones are just too expensive in comparison to others, knowing their abilities. I'm not a huge Microsoft fan, but I've bought Microsoft Surface tablet recently and I can't say anything bad about it - for me, tablets are just wannabe-laptops, and when a tablet can open all the apps AND programs meant for PC, it's a dream tool.

    ReplyDelete