Sunday 8 December 2013

WEEK 10:Board games - do not mix with boring games


We all know them. We all used to have fun with them back when we were younger. Some of them were cooler than the others. But nowadays board games are different. They look better and they fit almost all kinds of people’s demands. Some of them are not complicated so that children can play them but some of them can entertain even very intelligent people. Sometimes it’s even hard to call it a board game because the board is no longer a board or it’s built during a game time.
Beginning





As we predict first the board game came from  ancient Egypt, its name was Senet. We do not know what were the original rules of this game but we know that it had 3 rows, each of 2 players had a set of pawns, at least five. Scientists predicts that Senet was a strategy type of game. It also consisted of first prototype of dice, which added a random element to the game. The game was most popular in 3500 BC.
Psychology
Source
There has been a big amount of scientific research made on the psychology of older games, like chess, and less research has been done on contemporary board games such as Monopoly or Risk. It is important to be a good psychologist if you want to be a good board game player. You need to be able to “crack” your opponent and know exactly his plan. But board games can be therapeutic. Bruce Halpenny, a game inventor said when interviewed about his game, "With crime you deal with every basic human emotion and also have enough elements to combine action with melodrama. The player’s imagination is fired as they plan to rob the train. Because of the gamble they take in the early stage of the game there is a buildup of tension, which is immediately released once the train is robbed. Release of tension is therapeutic and useful in our society, because most jobs are boring and repetitive." Quote from interview. Source(http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/popular-board-games/455dd414-d498-42c4-8d12-85ac350d06c3)


LCG

Source
The term originally used by Fantasy Flight Games. Relatively new type of board games. In this type of board games we can build all the board just from the cards. Most LCG type games allow players to do something what’s called “building a deck”. This term means that we have to choose some card from our collection, being restricted by some rules (i.e. their number, their “cost”). In some LCG, players can build a whole board from cards. It makes a game more unexpected and brings more fun.
Source

What is  your experience with board games? Do you like them or not? What was the last board game you remember playing? What is your favorite board game and why? Or maybe you have a game you hate? What is this game and why u hate it?





9 comments:

  1. I don’t really remember games I hated as I cleanse those from my mind. But I certainly remember those I loved, although not the last one (there is no last). There were plenty of them, magic theatre, monopoly, crazy rabbits. These names mean nothing today. Boarding games are slowly becoming a remain of the last century, slowly replaced by computer or video ones. Personally I think computer games are a waste of time, though I understand it’s some form of entertainment for some people. For me the most interesting it’s a game where is a real face-to-face contact, interactions that make friends. Board games were mostly created for groups and a bunch of friends can always guarantee a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct. But did you know that new board games can also be played solo. If you are bored or sick alone in home u can still have fun with board games :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love board game ;D and i think we must start play often again... I must finally win in "Game of the throne"! xD
    But seriously, i have a lot of game. There is one problem only, must organize a group of people, and reserved all day for it, in time when i should make "magisterke" its a little problem.
    Me and my BF trying for now discover how to play exactly "runeboud". The rulebook it's not write so good, so there a lot of think need to be solved. And last time we finnaly played to the end of game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Game of throne is cool! I would highly recommend for you to look into mage wars. It is very cool game with a lots of atmosphere and planning. You should like it :) I am still thinking wether to buy mage wars or netrunner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that there are many people, maybe nerds, that even prefer board games than video games :P As a child I remember playing "chińczyk" or monopoly. I also played a card games called magic the gathering. Recently, I came back to boardgames a little because after hours working in front of monitor the last thing I want to do is to spend another hours playing in front it. Now I plays board game called carcassonne, where you build towns, roads etc. There are many add-ons to that game, but frankly speaking I am not interested in the game itself. It's rather a way to relax with bunch of friends while talking and drinking bears :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love board games! So, Piotr, call me a nerd. I prefer that kind of a game than video game. At least I have human contact, ha ha ha.
    I have few games, "Magia i miecz" "The sorcerers king", "Jungle speed" (although in last one there's no board... but it's so fun to play it!:). Oh! And I've got Battlestar Galactica! But I've never finished it... it took too much time... after 5 hours of playing, and founding out, who's cylon (unfortunately, he had both cylon cards, so he was the only one, ha ha ha!), the game lost it's purpose....
    Anyway, this kind of games is amazing. I love them. I have a lot of siblings, so we play all together. I play with by husband, with my friends. It's just an amazing way to spend time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dalvia Check out dungeoneer ;) You should like it

    ReplyDelete
  8. I play board games quite often, in fact I really believe that we have now some kind of board game renessaince, as more and more people consider it to be the entertainment for adults these days. What I hate about board games (and P&P RPGs, too) is the awful amount of time needed for some of them. For example, Game of Thrones - The Board Game is really awesome and gives tons of fun to every player... for the first 4 hours. I can't really imagine the worse waste of time than playing one game for 8-12 hours. It's so annoying! I love considerably quick games, like Smallworld or Ticket to Ride, but Game of Thrones and - Lord have mercy - the most annoying game ever called Munchkin... Never again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of couse I like board games, I liked them as a kid and I like them now as an adult. I believe my attitude in this case will never change, I can’t even recall any board game that I didn’t like. My experience with that kind of games is quite extensive – I started to play them when I was at the age of 3. The last board game that I played is “Monopoly” – my favourite game that will never go out of “fashion”. Why it is my favourite board game? I don’t know, maybe it’s because I associate it with good moments in my life – spending time with family, friends and also tasting victory (I’m really lucky in this game) 

    ReplyDelete