Tuesday 21 October 2014

Week 3 (20-26 October): Experimental Houses

In the world there are many strange buildings. Many architects trying to create new solutions. I will try to describe a few experimental houses.

 1: The Bubble House - Antti Lovag
http://twistedsifter.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/palais-bulles-palace-of-bubbles-pierre-cardin-house-antti-lovag-cannes-1.jpg

This house is located in Tourettes-sur-Loup in France. Circular walls and windows of this building create a strange image of the Mediterranean sea. You can see a panoramic view from windows of  this building.

The real idea of the house was to create a building that looks like a house of our ancestors. Of course, the house is very modern. But the location of this building on rocky slopes, creates the visions of caves.

2: Sou Fujimoto Wooden Hause





http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/17/Final_Wooden_House_2008.jpg/1280px-Final_Wooden_House_2008.jpg

A wooden House located in Kumamoto in Japan. It nicely presents itself on a mountain slope. This building is a cube, which has 4,2 meters long walls. It was built using logs 350X350mm. The house ideally adapts to the human body. The space is organized in multiple levels. The interior looks like a labyrinth. Every part has a separate function. For me, the rooms are too small and cramped.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/1Ee9trZI7n5alajhFmvorVGzo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJP67HANH6OVWEMMQ&Expires=1413572265&Signature=ZXNdWtzVxuMaDM3Tmt%2B1Jq5%2Fr1I%3D

3. The Minnesota Foam Home
http://stmedia.startribune.com/images/673506+1FOAM021713.jpg
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/35/dd/4a/35dd4aeb4e9110a7b12c67a0e609e020.jpg

This strange house was built in 1969. construction cost more than 250 000 $. I do not know what this building symbolises . Some people think that is a hobbit’s house. Other people think it is a home of a mole. However, the building in its structure is weird. Many uneven walls. Personally, I would feel lost in something like this.

4: Revolving Cylindrical Abodes

http://cdn.trendhunterstatic.com/thumbs/roll-it-experimental-house.jpeg

This house was designed by students Christian Zwick and Konstantin Jerabek from the University of Karlsruhe in German. The idea was to create a mobile home. The house is cylindrical. Space functions are changing depending on its position. The house is made of wood which creates a comfortable atmosphere inside.

Do you know any more strange houses?

What do you think about them?



15 comments:

  1. This houses reminded me of hotel in Tokyo. Generaly I don't want to live in such a strange looking house because I prefer more traditional buildings.
    In Poland there is a "crooked little house" and it is an irregularly-shaped building in Sopot. This house was built in 2004.
    http://krzywydomek.info/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here you can find some strange houses some of them are from polish architects desing.
    And here is house with moving walls. And i dont know why but I would like to live in such house with moving walls. It would be like my private fortress xD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personaly I am crazy about modern art and experimental architecture, but above examples are definitely not in my type. Despite of the cost of constructing such a building, I do not see the slightest usefulness.

    I saw other examples at London Home Show Features Modern,Experimental and Green Buildings like:

    Grand Designs Live example


    I do believe that nowadays designers will not only look for shocking form and configuration but also will find utility for future residents.

    Not once I was watching the very interesting tv series, which I highly recommend to everyone.

    Home of the future tv show

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a huge fan of modern art in general, but those buildings: I won't even try to understand the vision of the architects.
    It is unpractical to live in a building built the way that is presented above.
    Irregular and small spaces are difficult to arrange and maintain.
    I agree with Karolina - it is very expensive, because standard houses are usually build using typical and well trained (and therefore cheaper) construction methods.
    As we are discussing this subject – there is another phenomena that strikes me whenever I visit rural areas of Poland. I am thinking about the distinctive type of house which is called “Gargamel” in polish to describe it’s ugliness. If you were given a choice: Gargamel or one of the houses from the article, which one would you prefer ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Refering to the comments - I don't think these buildings were made for comfortable living - they're more pieces of art than actual living areas. I think they're more like haute couture compared to everyday fashion - designed to show skills, ideas and innovative vision, not for practicality, usefullness or universality.

    Speaking of strange houses, has anyone seen ice hotel in Sweden or our own, Polish Upside Down House in Szymbark? They're pretty weird too.

    And, answering s9397 question, I think I'd rather choose an experimental house - 'Gargamel's' are sooooo ugly, I don't know why people want to live there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy experimental forms of architecture. These buildings are good examples that houses aren’t only for living - they suppose to be the art objects. So it is excellent, that creators realized their surrealistic ideas. Generally, we live in times when architecture takes the different forms. As we see, there are no fixed rules - that’s certainly a novelty, looking back at the history. I rather prefer small spaces and cozy interiors, even if it’s located in the middle of the scandinavian forest :) So, my favorite one is Glass Igloo situated in Kakslauttanen Holiday Village, Finland. I’m crazy about it, I wish visit this place someday.
    http://bit.ly/1xilV4n
    http://bit.ly/10rSym1

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aneta, wow! This place looks truly amazing. I can't imagine going out to the cold and snow, but I could spend infinity in that cozy interior, looking at the northern lights! It could be a perfect place for holidays for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah! It's realy cool and I would love to see the aurora.

    Going back to the topic I'm not a fan of the home presented above and I absolutely agree with Patrycja that those experimental homes are more of a skills and invention show than actuall leaving spaces. Small or big I would feel very uncomfortable in this kind of house.

    If it comes to innovative architecture I'm very fond of suprising and clever small appartments design. For an instance what this guy made of his flat is just brilliant.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juWaO5TJS00

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't imagine that I could live in one of presented house. I prefer traditional house. But like Patrycja said We should treat them like piece of art, not like place for evryday life.

    Here You can see more strange houses. My favorite is toiled-shaped house :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading the article and looking at the pictures I remembered the crooked house from Sopot. It turned out that there are even stranger apartment. Furthermore, I agree with Martin opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nowadays every one can experience living in a "strange house". There are many hotels that let you sleep in very bizarre and unusual buildings. How about living in a tree house? Go visit http://treehotel.se and take a look at those amazing structures. I, personally, don't want to live in so strange house for rest o my life but sating for few days would be a great experience. And I would have lots of photos for my personal album. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. http://treehotel.se - never before heard about it. I think that is werry good idea for holiday. I've seen these buildings before on architectural pages but I never thought that this buildings is for rent.
    It seems to me that the most of strange buildings is in Scandinavia. I think it's because they have a lot of space. They can create building which composes space. In the more populated areas in Europe the building has to fit for the next build.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know some strange buildings in Poland. I paste links to photo below.

    For example 'Krzywy domek' in Sopot. There are locals, clubs, where party are organised.

    http://krzywydomek.info/_files/_private/fotogaleria/40/670bdff.jpg

    One more exapmple is 'Domek do góry nogami' in Zakopane. But it is just fun place for tourists and no one lives there.

    http://www.kogis.pl/gallery/medium/ph21895tofertar8281.jpg

    Personally I like modern houses, but for my comfort and don't pay attention to strange people I prefer standards buildings.
    Hobbits house is cool place but as a extra place to spend free time or place where I could take a rest.

    Do You agree with my last sentence?

    ReplyDelete
  14. In my opinion, the strangest house is The Bubble House. It looks like a house from cartoons. I don't understand what led the architect to design it like that.

    Sou Fujimoto Wooden Hause reminds me of the houses from the game Minecraft. The construction is made of square wooden blocks.

    In my opinion the owner of The Minnesota Foam Home is an alien from outer space. I'm not convinced I'd want to live in it, even if I had to.

    Revolving Cylindrical Abodes is just a bad student project.

    Few months ago I have seen a house that looked like a shoe;

    Shoe House

    Someone had a really strange idea to design it. I wouldn't want to live there every day but it could be my cottage house.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 2) Do you know any more strange houses?
    Mine
    3) What do you think about them?
    Well ,since I'm participating in this movement, You would expect that I had more in-depth approach towards this topic. Well...

    ReplyDelete