Monday 10 December 2012

Winter activities

Winter activities


The days are getting shorter and colder, trees lost their leaves long time ago and we already saw the first snow. Be ready because winter holidays are approaching!

There are some places where you should go to enjoy this wonderful snowy weather, and these are the mountains. What can you do in the mountains during winter? The answer is obvious: sliding down the slopes :) There are various alternatives to have fun on the slopes! First of all, you can ski! However, we have several types of skis such as: Alpine, Freeride, Telemark, Freestyle, Slalom or Monoski.

A short video about the freestyle skiing, made by the Polish company Modest South:


Another, well-known and popular winter sport is snowboarding. Here, same as with skiing, there are several types of boards, such as: Freeride, Freestyle and Carving / Alpin boards.

What is interesting, nowadays people come up with new interesting and, somehow, crazy winter attractions, and one of them is Helisking. What is it? They take you to a mountain peak by helicopter and later you slide down 'virgin' slopes!



                                     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjHFOXTvqaA

Of course, if you are going to Heliskiing for the very first time you should choose less steep slopes and NEVER FORGET ABOUT THE HELMET!

Another winter attraction is snowkiting, skiing or snowboarding with the kite.
However, if you want to try the snowkite you do not have to go to the mountains! What you only need is appropriate equipment, good flat field with snow, wind and a good attitude :)

                                   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QPcr5pP4g8


When we think about winter sports we cannot forget about cross-country skiing and ski-jumping as Poland in those categories have two very famous sportsmen: Justyna Kowalczyk (cross-country skiing) and Adam Małysz (ski-jumping). Although, everyone can try cross-country skiing, I believe that ski jumping is only for professionals, thus it is a winter sport that most of the people can only watch.




Moreover, what is interesting, now you can more often meet disabled people on the slopes, sliding down the slopes on the so-called sit-ski. The following video shows a brief history of a skier who because of the accident cannot walk. However, he did not give up his dreams and continues to do what he loves the most!


                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xjUUf_sK84


However, you do not need snow or mountains to have fun during the winter. There is another winter activity that you can enjoy wherever you are, and it is ice-skating. It is not only cheap and a very pleasant way to spend your free time, but you can also do it almost in every big city in Poland. For instance, in Warsaw there are many ice rinks, which everyone can use. Perhaps the most famous and crowded ice rink in Warsaw is a free ice rink in Torwar or the one next to the Palace of Science and Culture.

Overall, I am a big fan of winter sports! When I was only 4 years old my parents took me to the mountains and for the very the first time I had skis on my feet, and since then I cannot remove skis from my feet during the winter. :) Also, when I was 14, I started snowboarding. I love both skiing and snowboarding, and literally I cannot imagine my life without them! Every year, I always look forward to see the first snow and go for a trip to the mountains!
In addition to winter sports, I associate the winter with drinking hot chocolate, mulled wine and the smell of oranges :)



http://www.ifood.tv/blog/hot-and-healthy-drinks



Questions:
1. What do you associate with the winter?
2. Have you ever tried any of these winter sports?
3. Can you think of any different winter activities that I did not mention?








14 comments:

  1. What I associate with winter
    snow removal ... snow removal ... scratching frozen car's windows. With winter extreme sports that I practiced it i s only pulls down the stairs on the sister's board :). Somehow I never really had a chance to try to ride in the mountains, i had a chance to climb and walk only
    Mulled wine in the mountainsis is god's drink, I love to drink it! Warms the body and relaxes the mind.

    ReplyDelete

  2. 1. Winter has two sides that it is worth mentioning. Beautiful white winter which you spend sliding down the slopes and spending evenings in front of the fireplace sipping mulled wine. At there is also dark, with temperature way below zero winter that we all know freezing to the bones whilst waiting for the public transportation. This type of winter I truly dislike.
    2. I started snowboarding when I was 15. I really enjoy this sport because it is fun and challenging at the same time. I would definately recommend it to those who have never tried it before.
    3. I have recently seen snow kayaking advertised as a new extreme sport. The concept is quite similar to the traditional sledding but more adventurous. I would like to try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hot chocolate, at home with good book and snow outside. I enjoy winter but usually when I'm inside.
    Heliskiing looks for me like suicide...
    I have tired skating and I like it very much. I'm glad that Warsaw have some free icerinks. Every winnter I have to go skating at least once. I appreciate that there is ski slope at szczęśliwice. When I first see it I couldn't belive my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you associate with the winter?

    Usually spend the winter in the city. I'm not a winter sports fanatic. Once I tried skiing and snowboarding, but they coincided with my tastes. In the winter, I like the atmosphere, white snow and Christmas holidays.

    Have you ever tried any of these winter sports?

    I tried skiing and snowboarding.


    Can you think of any different winter activities that I did not mention?

    When I was a kid I liked a snowball war and go down the hill on the backpack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also enjoy winter holidays doing sports. In my opinion this is very good way to relax, forget about our daily routine, have fun with our families and friends and burn the calories after the Christmas days. The sports that you mentioned are the most popular ones and I do not have any other ideas although I am a fan of winter sports such as snowboarding and skiing. I have been practicing those since I was six or seven, I guess. I used to ice-skate but I do not find it that attractive anymore. What I associate with winter is obviously Christmas and winter holidays in the mountain. Long evenings with a cap of tea and a film also come to my mind when I think about this cold time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. With winter mostly reminds me of snow, holidays, and the Alpen with friends in the mountains to go skiing. It is the best time where you can enjoy the beauty of winter and freezing temperatures.

    2. The only winter sport I cultivate a recreational skiing with friends, more Competition classes are not possible in my case because of a knee injury that prevents me from doing all the activities.

    3. You kids have a lot of skill to come up with the winter games. For example, sledding or snowball fight, he is a child really liked. In addition to the games, we can see a lot of competition in the winter such as biathlon, ski jumping or cross-country skiing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Winter is my favourite time of year. I`m always very excited when I see the first snow. It is really nice especially if you go to the countryside when ground and trees are covered with snow. As the first days of December came cities are glowing with ornamentation in shape of snowflakes and other lights and you can fell the atmosphere of upcoming Christmas.
    When I was 6 years old I started skiing and since then each year I spend at least one week during a year in mountains. As the first snowboards where seen in Poland I decided to change my two board to one, so this winter is the tenth season for me and snowboard.
    I also like ice-skating. What`s good about it is that there are many ice rinks in warsaw, but its true that sometimes they are very crowded. There is also one that is open round the clock whole week, so you can go there any time you want.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a fan of winter sports, but it's probably because of me for a change from the child's parents took to the sea in summer and in winter we werent anywhere. Although had time to me during high school, go on winter holidays in the mountains with friends, then I learned to ride on a snowboard. My adventure with snowboarding lasted three seasons and has finished more. With winter reminds me of Christmas Eve, family reunions, mulled wine, hot chocolate with whipped cream, the smell of mandarins :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool vids! i got another one for you!
    Definitely i'd like to do this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZyWvdaMnFE&feature=youtu.be

    It's unthinkable what they do !!! :D

    I have some experience with skateboarding, and i tried some snowboarding (yes it is really different), and i'd like to fly like the guys from the video :)
    This is the dream :D

    Reality is a little bit different :) i actually spend alot of time with my family in the winter. It's cold outside and not everyone is a fan of winter like me !

    What more could i add... winter is awesome and everyone who does not like it should really try some winter activities like sports!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1) Winter reminds me of a beautiful white landscape outside the window, riding the sled, the throwing of snowballs, stickiness idols, sleigh party, tangerine and mulled wine :-) I like the moment when it starts to snow in the evening when everything is so beautiful is not trampled , it is beautiful. But I'm not a fan of winter, I will definitely thermophilic and summer, the beach and water.

    2) I rode for skiing, snowboarding and ice skating. The most I like to skate. Skiing is dangerous and easy for them to grab an injury or a break and the same goes for snowboarding.

    3) It was mentioned many sports - snow games such as tobogganing, the so-called apple, throwing snowballs, modeling a snowman, making eagles on the snow, sliding the car :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. With winter I associated snow, santa, snowboard and my birthday. Every year I'm taking a trip abroad for snowboarding. Its my big passion. Especially I like rideing off the road on wild slopes. There is no other feeleing soundless riding in deep snow turough plane soundless land full of breathtaking landscapes. It is more risky than riding through normal slope, but joy is uncompareable. I alsow have tried jumping, rail and half pipe riding, but I have quickly found that it is not as exciting as off road for me.
    I used to skiing before, but I have quickly switched to snowboard, alsow I did some ice skateing. That is all from winter sports I tried.
    I really cant figure any other winter sport thst you wouldnt mention, but people do a lot crazy stuff and call it sport.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. s7495 wrote about snow kayaking (I have never heard about it before) and that reminded me one of the funniest and greatest winter attraction - SLEDS! I think that none of you mentioned them. Also, I believe that for most of us, when we were young our parents used to pull us on sled :)

    Is there anyone who have never used sleds or so-called in Polish “jabluszka” (sorry I could not find English word for that)? Also, have you ever been on a sleigh ride?

    ReplyDelete
  14. For me winter is snow, frost, white colour, snowman, mountains, unfortunately in cities winter is associate with dirty grey snow, salt, slob, frozen nose. I really like winter but only on the countryside.

    I tried snowboarding when I was 7 and I'm riding until now and I really like it, but I don't have much time to riding. I also tried ice-skating, but i don't like it so much.

    I know that in winter we can also riding on a seld or apple, for freak people is the ability for a sleigh ride on a sled behind a car, or a car sking.

    ReplyDelete