Tuesday 11 December 2012

Motivation






How do you motivate yourself to get up early, to do your project on time, etc.?  I’ll present a few tips that can help you manage your time more efficiently.


1.Set your goals. It is absolutely essential. Before you start to do something, think carefully about what you want to achieve. It is much easier to be motivated when you know what will be the effect of your actions. What are the goals set? The more ambitious your goal, the more stimulating it is  for your mind to achieve it. Of course they should not be completely impossible to fulfill, but allow yourself for a little bit of fantasy. Determination  increases your efficiency. If your goals are too big you-do not change them, just break them down into smaller ones, think about different elements of a greater purpose.

2.Plan exactly what you have to do. Being aware of how you want your project to look like  is not always enough. Planning also allows one to see the entire process, not only the effect. Every complex task is composed of simple elements. List specific steps that will lead you to achieve that goal: it will be easier for you to take the individual elements of the process. The whole project/assignment no longer seems so difficult, because it will be made up of simple steps. It will also allow you to track your progress. Knowing the place where you are will improve your efficiency.

3.Use the method of five minutes. When you have to do something you do not want to, do it only for five minutes. Tell yourself, "five minutes, no longer." Having it I mind it will be much easier for you to endure it, and what's more, once you do something for those five minutes, you'll do it much longer than planned.

 4.Visualize the goal you want to achieve. Find five minutes to visualize the effect of your work, any task you have planned, think how it will be when it is ready. How do you feel? Let it be positive images. See the effect of your work in the best possible light, feel the enormity of the knowledge you have  earned. Think now about what  you have done, how you have achieved it. Enjoy the result of your work.  Try to picture created was rich in detail. Do this exercise at least once a day, for a few minutes. It is one of the most powerful tools to achieve true motivation.

5. Be positive. Pay attention to your thoughts. Watch them all the time, especially when you think about the task awaiting you. When it turns out that they are negative, replace them with positive ones. Stop with all the "I can’t", "it is difficult". When you talk to yourself, you're right. When you think you can do it, it would be easy. Your efficiency is greatly increased. You have great prospects and believe in them, and you'll work much better. What's more, the prospect of success immediately stimulates your motivation.

6.Unsubscribe benefits. Take a blank piece of paper and pen and start to write out all the benefits that come to your mind in connection with the execution of the task. More free time, the joy of a loved one, higher salary, the opportunity to meet friends, learn something new. Not all must be strongly argued and logical. Print everything that you can think of, even if your reasoning is ridiculous or meaningless. Once you have created this list, you will approach your task differently.

7.Listen to motivational music. Has any music/song motivated you to do sth? This phenomenon is called  emotional conditioning, otherwise known as an anchor. Stimuli evoke in us certain emotional states. How do you use it? With all the ways that you have just read, you can evoke strong feelings of motivation. Choose a song which you  have not listened before. While listening to it, your brain will concentrate on positive emotions, motivation to do certain task.

8.Reward yourself. Good old method, which we all love. Think about how you can be rewarded for achieving the goal. What do you do when you manage to do the job well? Eat something sweet? YGo to the movies? Allow yourself an hour of relaxation? The choice is yours.

Try everything and see what works for you best. Perhaps one of these ways  is best for you, you will always have to practice it before performing various tasks. I use most of them.



If someone interested in this topic I recommend reading the book “100 Ways to Motivate Yourself” by Steve Chandler



Questions:
Do you have problem with motivation?
What are your methods to motivate yourself?

15 comments:

  1. 1. As everyone sometimes I find myself without any energy and not willing to do anything.Fortunately, this attitude does not happen often and most of the time passes very fast. I try to set up my tasks in a way that I get motivated when performing them. I would say that I do not have problems with motivation when it comes to doing things that I like. The problem appears when I have to do something which is of no interest to me. In these situations I make myself to stay positive and complete the tasks as fast as possible.I believe it is important to be motivated in order to have a fulfilling life.
    2. I do not have any methods which keep me motivated.My biggest trigger of being motivated is my family's future. I do everything in my power to provide a happy future for my loved ones. This thinking allows me to stay focused and motivated to make sure that I stay on track with everything that I planned to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I have a problem with motivation, that's why I am interested in this topic and is getting better. I highly recommend reading the book, that I wrote about at the end of the presentation. For me also the family and its future is very important and really motivates me thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy - I have a REAL problem with motivation. Perhaps your post can help (I will definately take a closer look into the book you recommended).

    I have this problem mostly because I hate doing things that are boring for me. Maybe it's just called laziness? On the other hand I can devote all my time to hobby and passions. One of them is also programming. When I start an IT project - I can write code almost 24/7, because I love that. I love to solve logic problems, come up with algoriths and so on. I think the hardest part is the first step. Once you start doing something - it usually ends up well. On the other hand when you'll give some boring stuff like math or networks (my personal feelings) I an just procrastinating as much as I can to avoid the work. Sad but true.

    I envy people who don't have problem with motivation. I wish I also could be like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I consider myself as person with lack of motivation. Everyone have these "gray" days, when all you want to do is just stay in bed. Fortunately in most of such days you have to do something, go to work, school, etc.
    I find that meeting other people can motivate you, because you have to do someting. That is way in my opinion this is good to work on something with other people.
    When you are in group and you are demotivated or something just don't "want to work" you can allways talk to other and solve the problem.
    It is good when you meet others and have common goal. It do not have to be same goal, you could have just same type of work like programming.
    When you are surrounded by people who are working and achieving their goals it is much easer to motivate yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that most of people have a problem with finding the motivation to do what they have to do. It is much easier to motivate yourself to do something that you are keen on doing. When it comes to school or job, it is almost impossible to feel motivated since there are few people who do what they really love. I actually use some of the tips you mentioned in the presentation, e.g. I imagine what I will feel like when I finish every task I need to complete and I try to arrange my time but what I find difficult is that I plan to do everything in one day and even though I work hard, I cannot complete everything because I had planned too much. This leaves me unfulfilled and discourages me from making to-do lists. I also try to reward myself in a way. For example when I plan to do something, I promise myself that after that I will do something pleasant i.e. watch a film or go out. Actually, I think that the most difficult part of the day to find some motivation is the morning when we need to get up early. At 7 a.m. no tips work in my case. However, the motivation is something that we need and we should always remember that being lazy makes the next day more difficult because there will always come a deadline when we will need to do something. What I sometimes tell myself is ‘if you stop being lazy today and do something profitable, then you will have time for being lazy tomorrow’ but it does not work every time, as I response to myself that I prefer being lazy today to being lazy tomorrow which is a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Very often I have problems with motivation, unfortunately. Lots of responsibilities makes it hard sometimes to get on with everything, so I put some things for later, but this is not the best idea, because then a man naturally does not want to xD. In my case also hard to motivate yourself in the sport. When we play with the team in futsal, we conduct an opponent by 4 goals, followed by relaxation and then our concentration and motivation decreases, so it is possible to lose the match.

    2. There are many ways for the motivation, hmm I think that my main motivator is my friends who motivate me to the next task. At the university, of course, are the professors who set the deadlines for completion of the task. In sports, I try to focus and motivate yourself, the only proven way is to cut off from the world for those few minutes or hours, and take what belongs to us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely I have a problem with motivation. There are times when is so hard to make yourself do things, especially when you don’t like them, but they have to be done,
    But I really like all mentioned methods. I will try to use them – the five minutes method seem to be easy and I hope it will be helpful. I'm making a list of tasks to do, trying to keep everything in my calendar, but sometimes I too often move task from day to another. And I`m always positive 

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mikolaj I am very glad that my presentation can help you in some way with motivation and I really recommend reading the book;)

    Natalia I agree with you, the lack of motivation to work with others who can motivate us is a great idea, but not always. Well if it depends on us who we are working, worse if we have a team of people at work who is not completely motivate us to work :/ But in moments of doubt, or when we have these "gray" days, Surround yourself with people who gives us energy to act.

    MZ and there is also another problem, when we already compile the list, we will take the example tasks for the following day, we can’t go overboard with the number of tasks to do, because even worse for us, it will be discouraging that we could not perform all of the list, we should determine their priorities and start on these things, and remember about the fact that over time we come to perfection in the performance of such lists, because we will know if we are able to do during the day. A good method is also working on something that's bothering us in small steps, for example, we have three things on his head, which is troubling us. Decide today to devote to these things 30 minutes, or after 10 minutes on each. Let's say for example one of those things is to clean up the room when we look at the mess around us, it is usually delayed for later, because we find that today we do not have time for that, and if we for example have found that today only clean up desk, which take care of it me 10 minutes, tomorrow will do the cleanup in the closet of clothes, a day after vacuuming the carpet. Thanks to this we are satisfied that we have done the job of the day, we do not have such an amount of work on the head and the room is finally clean.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unfortunately, I sometimes have problems with motivation, however, in these situations, I try to think positive, replace negative thoughts positive. Sometimes I offer the promise of making public that gives his all to keep that promise. Atmosphere of friendly competition encourages me to work, because I have the opportunity then to check myself and know that something like that motivates. Sometimes, looking for inspiration. When something seems boring to me, I try to turn it into pleasure. When I lose motivation at work is asking why he wants to achieve the goal and after examination they realized that really something I care about and that's why I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Positive thinking is very important in motivation and generally in life, a man who is positive, is pleased with himself, he loves what he does is happy :) I wish all bloggers such an attitude to life. And one more thing, which I think is very important, if you are not satisfied with your work, what they do in everyday life, shoot all the teeth to change in the near future, thanks to this you will feel better with each other, you'll be pleased with the challenges you made, you will do what you like and certainly you will not have trouble with getting up in the morning to work, because the work will propel you to action :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a man with a high level of motivation, so I just need a good song to be fully motivated for the rest of the day. Unfortunately, once probably my level of motivation will drop but for now I am happy that I have such a level of motivation. To all those who are not motivated, I recommend just keep a distance to their activities of daily living and to think about the fact that there is always something more important in life, but the job has to be done, then you should avoid stress and fear of failure, and probably your work will be completed on time because you focus on the performance, not thinking about the consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have big problems with motivation. I always postpone things, and in the effect, I do things on last moment, and if manage to do this its good but still unstatisfying for me, because I know I could do better if only start working earlier. Than it makes me feel guilty, and stack of unfinished work is growing bigger.
    I have no tips to motivate my self efficiencly, and I will definetly try some of yours, and examine this issue deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like most of you I also have a big problem with my motivation. However, for me, this is often associated with a lack of self-confidence. Unfortunately, I usually leave 99% of my projects and do them at so-called last minute, and because of that I have no time to think about motivation since I always quickly have to finish my work. Also, I believe that at the school exams or tests are our motivation and at the work it is the money that motivate us. Moreover, there are many things that I love to do, so I do not really need any motivation for them. Also, I agree with Natalia, who said that teamwork is very motivating.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes I have problems with motivation, like everybody I think. To motivate myself I turn off the internet and mobile phone and go to BUW. In this library I'm surprisingly motivated. Other way to motivate is making a plan what I have to do, like in second point of this presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with my colleagues. The problem of motivation for most of the problem is to start. I'm the same way, as I only see the effect, I can not stop working. I was intrigued by the idea of ​​five minutes. A brilliant idea because it does not burden our psyche for more than 5 minutes :). Tasks are carried out bit by bit. The only drawback that certain tasks can not be so divided. I agree that clear objectives and the ability to visualize them to help us achieve them. One factor that helps us to motivate, it is faith in yourself. Often we are able to forgive and to motivate because we do not believe that we are able to do so. Anyway, this is a problem which affects most of us, it is an interesting and important in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete