Saturday 15 December 2012

Christmas movies


In view of the upcoming Christmas, I created a list of the best Christmas films.
It is difficult to imagine Christmas without them. Without Kevin it's not Christmas! Although this film for me was the No. 2 spot, but also on the podium. For me in the first place were the trials and tribulations of Clark and his family, or " Christmas Vacation" In my opinion, a must for holidays or a few days before.

 


My list:


1.Christmas holiday

I love this movie. Starting from the soundtrack, the acting, the undeniable magic of Christmas that comes from this movie. Everyone knows that the holidays are the three most important days of the year, which we are awaiting for a very long time. We think of a delicious set table, tons of presents under the Christmas tree and the smell spreading in the house . At some point are coming to us honorable guests: grandmothers, grandfathers, uncles, cousins​​, which often go well only in the picture (not that it was for me;)).







2.Home Alone

 

 I watch it every year, it reminds me of the Christmas Eve and the Christmas atmosphere .... something like the smell of mandarins and carnations:]
It captured this great Christmas atmosphere. The simple, light, and an uplifting movie, having in itself  "something" good.


Williams has created something amazing, climate, magical ...
It was music, and of the actors make this film never boring :)







3.Love Actually

It's a very nice film that is worth a look. Certainly it interacts with Christmas and fits the environment. Also it shows that love is all around us and just look around. It carries a positive message: a puzzle of human history, told in a lyrical way to create a single simple image, true, universal love. In addition, great acting and unique music create a film so extraordinary that it stays long in the memory.







In addition to these films (obligatory in my opinion at that time) my list also includes such films as:



4.”Miracle on 34th Street”  Les Mayfield

This movie is so amazing. Suddenly, it turned out that this opposing view of the world (those who believe in Santa Claus and those who believe in the commercial and public holidays, and therefore in the money) have joined together in a common struggle for the existence of Santa Claus. It is true that they had different motives, but, paradoxically, they all had one goal - to keep the charm of the holidays.
A beautiful film, magic, talking about what is most important: faith; therefore, we should  believe in ourselves and other people. It is a movie for now. Miracle on 34th Street tells the story of the highest values.






5.”A Christmas Carol”  David Hugh Jones

"A Christmas Carol" is the most shielded star story. Known to most of us it is a story of a change from rich, stingy, rough man into the one that respects people and celebrates the value of Christmas.  What movie carries such an important moral message? To be good for others, thinking of loved ones, appreciating things that are not financial benefits? This certainly reflects the essence of values which are sacred to the man. So I recommend watching this movie - you have to see it and  in one of winter evenings.






6. „About a Boy”  Chris Weitz, Paul Weitz

"About a Boy" is the story of an emotionally disabled man named Will, whose life revolves around   pleasure. He treats women like objects, he does not like children, and the only person he cares about is himself. Will starts to understand that in life there's more when he meets Marcus. The Boy has problems at home and at school. His life is dependent on the mother suffering from depression, and colleagues from the school constantly torment him. Their knowledge of unexpected flourishes, which is a surprise to both parties. According to me this story is for everyone and for every occasion: there's a little bit of drama, humor, and all in a very mild climate.






7."Holiday" Nancy Meyers

What do women want? In this case, a change in life. Amanda (Cameron Diaz) lives in a stately mansion in Los Angeles. Iris (Kate Winslet) in an old house in the English countryside. Both failed hard on guys. They decide to relieve the failure of love. Using the Internet agency they decide to exchange houses for some time. Amanda meets refined Gragama (Jude Law), Iris Miles (Jack Black).
The film is incredibly atmospheric, warm, perfect for a festive evening when guests have left and you can relax in a comfortable armchair.






8."Jack Frost” Troy Miller

Jack Frost is a daddy. Although he loves his wife Gabby and son Charlie, he does not give them too much time. Jack suddenly realizes that something is missing. He has a tragic accident. A year after his death, thanks to the magic spell  Jack returns but ... as a snowman.







9."The polar Express”  Robert Zemeckis

Every year an eight year old boy goes through Christmas. He deeply believes in Santa Claus. In the end, however, there is a change in him, and in his heart there is doubt. On Christmas Eve at the house of the boy pulls the Polar Express - a magical train, going to the North Pole. This movie is magical with finely crafted animation. I recommend it. 








10.  " How the Grinch Stole Christmas" Ron Howard

On top of a mountain, in a dark cave lives a malicious Grinch who hates Christmas. He decides to spoil it. A fairy tale for people with a very specific approach to everything;)
It makes me laugh again and again;)



Source: http://mutantreviewers.wordpress.com/2010/12/24/how-the-grinch-stole-christmas-2000-retro-review



Questions:

Do you like watching Christmas movies? Present your favourite.
Do you like any other movies that are not on my list that are worth watching?






14 comments:

  1. I do not like Christmas movies, none of them says about what this all realy is about! In my opinion many shops, shopping centre, and whole Hollywood forgot that Christmas is Christian feast, they celebrate birthday of their God, it is not a giving-gifts-day.
    I'm Christian and I'm disapointed about this situation, but is only my opinion.
    I can't answer to second question, this movie category is not what I like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalia I understand your point of view and respect it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my mind most of christmas movies' plots evolve around similar themes which impliy every ending is easy to anticipate. All posters seem to be kind of blueish as well. I really do not think christmas is the time meant for sticking your face to the tv screen, it's meant for family interaction. If i have to pick the top christmas movie, i'd say Kevin alone in NY. Not because its christmas theme but because of its hillarious gags.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think watching Christmas movies on the first day of Christmas is part of the Christmas tradition. It is especially nice when you are a kid and you are watching movies with your family. I remember watching Christmas movies with my sister on the Christmas day.This was our tradition which we cherished. It has always been a part of Christmas. I really liked it and would like to keep this tradition with my son,especially with new great movies coming out every year.
    I do not have my favourite Christmas movie but enjoy watching many of them,especially the animated ones like Charlie Brown Christmas or the Polar Express. They are what I call "make me feel good movies."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of these films are very funny, others are climatic and when I watch them remind me of childhood days - when it was created. I really like to watch this kind of movies, but now I see it for the 10th time I have a delicate aftertaste. I hope that this year will see some exciting new videos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The one and only christmas movie i love to watch is the onumber on on your list - "Christmas Vacation" with the one and only Chevy Chase. I watch this movie every single christmas and it never gets old for me.

    "Home Alove" is a classic as well. Like they say - there is no Christmas without "Home Alone" and the Cocal-Cola commercial. However unfortunately for the audience christmas movies are usually very poor. The same setting, laughable script and pathetic actor performance. Apart from couple golden classics I am not a fan of Christmas movies.

    Natalia reminded in her post that "Hollywood forgot that Christmas is Christian feast, they celebrate birthday of their God". I think that in Poland even if you don't feel Christian (as I do) Christmas is still a beautiful tradition, which I enjoy to participate in. I love this special family atmosphere, this magic in the air, the memories from childhood. And no Hollywood is gonna change that. I don't believe in god, but that does not interfere with the pure joy I derive from christmas meetings with family. And this is something that unites us all - the beautiful tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my opinion Christmas movies are not the main attraction of the Christmas days but they are a significant part of them, especially for children who are not able to sit by the table full of fishes and salads. Actually, I feel sentimental about the Christmas movies because I remember that I used to watch and enjoy them a lot. Every year I was wondering what movies I would watch during Christmas and I was kind of preparing myself. Now, I do not spend time watching them but I like when the television is on during Christmas day because it makes the ambiance more special. ‘Home alone’, ‘Jack Frost’ and ‘The polar Express’ are somehow connected with my childhood and I sometimes like the moment when the television plays them during Christmas. When it comes to ‘Love actually’, I feel like I would still be able to watch this movie if I had time and I would not get bored even though I had seen it like thousand times. The movie form your list that I do not like is ‘How the Grinch stole Christmas’ but maybe because of the character’s appearance. In general, I feel like the Christmas movies are a part of the tradition and I like the atmosphere of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of these films looked at many times. The fact that they bring in the festive mood, especially when viewed with the cooking and cleaning :). However, even many of those films was simply tradition in Poland. As we know every Christmas story has to be Kewin. Christmas is a beautiful time, and all the Christmas movies are meant to lead us into the holiday spirit, we feel that the holidays are near.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like watching Christmas movies, there funny and easy to watch. During the Christmas holidays we have a lot to think about, preparations to Christmas Eve, buying present, coming guests… So it’s sometimes very good to sit and watch some funny movie. From those mentioned above I love “Holiday” and I think that except this one and “Love actually”, the other ones are also good for children. Home Alone and so famous Kevin  Although this movie is 22 years old it`s most popular Christmas movie. Each year there are new movies telling us wonderful stories about love, snow and Christmas and that probably would never end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also do not think that movies were the main attraction but in my family, and I think that in many other Christmas movie watching is somewhat tradition. I remember a very nice moments when after eating christmas dinner we all sat in front of TV and watch "Christmas Vacation" for example, who amused us to tears. For every day I do not watch television, I do not consciously TV at home, but when it comes to the holidays I really like the moment when, together with siblings and parents, whom I do not see in everyday life, sit down every year and watch christmas films, of course, not forgetting about the conversation with the second person, with a common dressing the Christmas tree, to visit cousins​​ and other important things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol i've seen every one of these movies! :D I like watching these movies because they are funny and at the same time the story is at some point a cool story making that "christmas spirit" :) I have to say my favourite one will always be "Home alone" , i guess this is the total classic for everyone. For me nothing will ever beat that movie! Your list is complete for me, and i don't really know any other movie for Christmas... :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite Christmas movie that I can watch over and over again is "How the Grinch Stole Christmas". This is a movie that always makes me stir, Grinch character is amazing and most importantly, all ends well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My aunt loves movies about Christmas, and since every year we spend our Christmas together all my family ‘have to’ watch movies about Christmas or Santa Claus. Some of these films that you have mentioned I have already seen. I really like “Holiday” and “Love Actually”, and I have seen them many, many times. I think that those types of romantic comedies are really pleasant to watch during your holidays :) Also, I cannot think about any others movies about Christmas or Santa Claus. However, my younger brother is a big fan of “Shrek” movies, so I also watched “Shrek the Halls”. Moreover, there is one particular movie that I always watch with my family during Christmas and it is “The Horse Whisperer”, yet, this movie is not really connected with Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Christmas movies compared to family films is one league when it comes to the quality of experience. These films are boring, they teach us that life is beautiful, and all ends well. What an embarrassment :). I am demanding film buff, I do not like Polish and weaknesses Hollywood's movies. For me it is a waste of time, it is better to spend it with your family talking and laughing. Christmas is the time spent in the group of relatives and not watching TV. It is better to now see some something sad, some good drama, which will give us food for thought, and allow us to enjoy our own, real life

    ReplyDelete