Monday 15 December 2014

Week 11 [15.12 - 21.12] Fan conventions



Fan conventions


You've probably heard about these, like the world famous Comic-Con or if you're more into Japanese popular culture – Anime Expo or Japan Expo. Maybe you've been at one. Conventions are events that gather people who share similar interest, be it fantasy genre, comic books, manga and anime (or Japanese culture in general) or television series and movies. The most popular conventions in our country center around the first three subjects and these are the ones I'd like to talk about.


Usually they're organized annually, often around the same date and in the same location, but there are exceptions. The oldest and one of most popular Polish fantasy conventions, Polcon, takes place in a different city every year. Conventions last two or three days (which usually corresponds with weekends), sometimes only one day and sometimes they're longer. Fans, both local and from around the whole country often come earlier, before the opening, to save a place in a queue that can later grow into a huge size. After some time, they get inside the building called a conplace. A conplace may be a school building, a hotel, a stadium, a cultural center or a specifically built for this purpose, convention/ conference center.


A queue in front of Atlas Arena, Międzynarodowy Festiwal Komiksu in Łódź, 2014


While at a convention you may participate in a wide array of activities. Firstly, there are lectures (given both by amateurs and professionals alike) on various topics. Of course the subject of these lectures depends on the theme of the convention, but a lot of them will present a specific comic book or anime series, certain trope from culture and history. You can discuss works of a certain author or simply, meet him/her and talk about their work experience, ask them questions personally. You can also take part in contests and win prizes ranging from books, gadgets to the convention’s currency (e.g. pyrfunty at Pyrkon) which you can later exchange for something you like. Besides, frequently there are game rooms - sections where you can sit down in front of a computer or a console and test a game out, or simply have fun with friends.

If you're at anime or fantasy convention, you'll sooner or later meet a person wearing a costume. That person, a cosplayer, impersonates a character from a popular culture (a TV series, a video game, a comic book etc.). There are special contests organized for such people in which the best cosplay is chosen.


Cosplayers, notice the scene is in a school gym, Animatsuri 2013


At every convention there is also a section dedicated to shop stands where you may buy stuff you probably won't find anywhere else and maybe even get a bargain. Among these shops you can spot artists and craftsmen who sell their artbooks, art prints or hand-made jewelry. Some of them will give out autographs, though at larger events the process of signing autographs can be organized, like at MFK in Łódź where you need a ticket with a number, otherwise you may be asked to leave the queue (it depends on an author's decision).

Fan convetions are also a great opportunity for companies and publishers to promote their products. For example, while at Międzynarodowy Festiwal Komiksu in Łódź, I had a chance to play around with Wacom Cintiq tablet (something I missed at Pyrkon earlier).


 Artists' stands, also a school gym


Shop stands at Pyrkon 2013, Poznań International Fair


Last but not least, you can meet people who have the same interests as you! Fan conventions are full of interesting, sometimes strange or even outright crazy people. While I'm aware there are always some downsides of such events, I still think it's worth taking part.




Questions:
Have you ever been at a convention? If yes, what kind of? Did you like it?
What do you think of this kind of events?


Sources:



20 comments:

  1. I have never been on such convention. Of corde I heard about comic con because of The Big Bang Theory ;)

    I really admire people who are so devoted to being fan of any comic book, game and so on. Personally I feel to old for collecting autographs of performers or buying gadgets of favourite movie.

    Nevertheless I heard that such conventions very often became a nightmare. Very often participation is very expensive and far away from expectations. Do the people walking around fan conventions look familiar? For me it is another well prospering business. Fan convention has a reputation for strong niche segmentation, with distinct fan cultures jealously guarding their borders against bandwagon-riders and phonies. But according to the survey data, those borders are starting to become blurrier, at least among audiences attending cons.

    Why are fans flocking to cons? The social component is a real driver. Fans just want to meet new friends or connect with those they've met online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was travelling a lot to anime conventions in high school. I was at events such as Mokon, Animatsuri , Otacon and on the last Ecchicon.
    Many of these events has change a lot. People are diffrent and atmosphere is not the same. Nowadays convencion are organised better but not as good as the prievious one. In high school I loved to travel and overnight at the convencion but right now I prefer my own warm bed :D :D I remeber that strange things happend at night at convencion and you could probably wake up in a different place or you spend all night doing really strange things. Only 3 times I took part at the cosplay competition but only at ones I won a price for the best group costiume.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a geek, I'd really love to go to a convention one day; however, I'd be much more interested in fantasy / sci-fi conventions than the anime / manga ones. Sadly, I missed Polcon when it took place in Warsaw last year, and I'd really prefer to go somewhere near my house than travel to another city.

    However, seeing the photos and videos from Polish conventions makes me regret they're not as big and well-organised as ComicCon, for example, where you can see actors starring in popular TV series, unseen trailers for future movies, amazing cosplays etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Katarzyna
    I believe Animatsuri was one of my first conventions actually, and I agree - they've changed a lot. I can't say if the previous ones were better or not, but they had different atmosphere for sure. Or maybe it's just me getting older.

    @Patrycja
    I hope Polish conventions will grow bigger and become more organized with time. They're already better than they were a few years ago when I was in high school, so I'm not really dissappointed in their current state.


    You definitely should check Polcon or Pyrkon some day. I'm more into fantasy as well, but because I have friends who are manga readers, I sometimes travel with them to such conventions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adam Kaliński S936721 December 2014 at 08:42

    I've never been at a convention and I guess that I won't be. However if I go it will be scifi convetion.
    Personally I don't understand this people fascination of anime, but everyone like something different :)
    I prefer the sci fi or fantasy atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never attended any of these conventions. I am not really into Japanese Culture, but if there was an event connected with my favorite TV series or a movie organized in my city I would definitely take part.

    The author mentioned many aspects and different attractions the attendant can enjoy on a typical convent. Personally I think, that the social element is the most unique. We have many opportunities to try new technologies out, but how often you can talk to a dozen people fascinating with the same movie, genre of music and so on ?
    I suppose it must be a great experience and a lot of fun !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never been on fan conventions, but I would like to be in future. I think that fan conventions might be great fun, because you can meet people who like the same things as you and thanks to that you may have more topics about you can talk with them. Also those events are great, because you can see your favorites characters in reality, maybe it's fan interpretation, but still it may be really interesting experience. I admire people who prepare costumes for such convections, because it's really hard and time consuming work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never been on fan convention. It looks very interesting and it is a great event for people who like anime and related topics. My favorite part of this article are definitely Cosplayers. They look amazing, like a fairy tale.

    Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of this kind of entertainment. I prefer sporting events or meetings for developers. In such events, we can also get to know many interesting people with similar interests.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been to dozen of convention in mostly europe. Anime conventions, games conventions, fantasy conventions, game, technology or even "meloman" conventions.
    However i started from polish convention in 2007 Polcon and from there i've been in Russian convents or Polish ones. I loved going on them back in a time because of my friends and lots of other people i met. In time i was less interested in Anime and more in game, technology or comic convention. Unfortunately we don't have true 100% comic conventions, but i wish i'll go on famous comic-con.
    And now i have really different perspective, maybe because i became old and grumpy or maybe because instead of wasting money, i would love to get some by selling my stuff.
    Also there is one type of convention I'm looking into too: digital art convention. Unfortunately i lost in which edition of ImagineFX magazine was it written about, but it seems like lots of fun. Digital artists from different branches of art come to one place to show their techniques, draw together, studies and many others. Perfect place to go for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Adam
    Well, I won't argue with that. :) Every person likes something different. I also prefer fantasy/ sci-fi to m&a and whenever I end up at anime convention I feel somehow uneasy around these rather strange people.

    @s9397
    I agree that people are the most important part of conventions. Without fans they wouldn't exist, would they? To be honest I've once attened a convention only to meet with my friends. I didn't go to any lecture etc. and it was still great.

    @Marcin
    Did you know that on some conventions they organize cosplay competitions where you need to create a costume within a day and from materials you can find around the conplace? It's fun to watch people walking around wearing cardboard boxes. :D

    @Serj
    Wow, digital art convention! I'm a digital artist myself, so I'd absolutely love to visit that one.
    And I'm also more interested in comic/game or general fantasy subjects and prefer it to anime and manga. If you'd like to visit a comic convention you should check Międzynarodowy Festiwal Komiksu in Łódź. I've been at it this year, and I loved it. A lot of shop stands where you can buy comics/ books, artists you can talk to and interesting presentations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never been there, but one day I have an occasion to see the participants of Paris Manga & Sci - fi Show. It was when I was on holiday one summer in France. I was impressed of the great cosplayers' ideas. The costumes, make up and hairstyles were well prepared, I admire the way they emphasized the details. Unfortunately, ticket for the show was very expensive, so I gave up.
    I think convent might be great fun for fans, and not only for them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never been on fan convention on my own. It looks very interesting and I think that it is a great event for people who are fans of comics etc. but not for me. I dont like anime, comics and i don't like any games so much that i will go on that kind of events.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never been on such event, but my friend who leaves in Dubai is a great fun of comi cons and I quite often see her photos on facebook from there and she's always dressed up as some anime character.
    I personaly probably will never go on such convention. It's just not my circle of interests. But I think it's fun for people who like it and I support those kind of gatherings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The only one convention that I have been to was "Warsaw Tattoo Convention" http://tattooconvention.waw.pl/
    Of course there were no people wearing costumes but almost every one had a tattoo.
    I think that the best part of every convention is meeting other freaks like you. No one will say that you are weird just because you like something and want to be like it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never attended any of these conventions. After reading this coverage I would like to take part in similar event. This is fantastic way to expand hobby of many people and meet them. In Poland comics or anime isnt such popular as in Japan or USA. In the future will more fans of this kind of books. Nevertheless, people who like it also are less mature i think?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Unfortunately I have not been at such an event yet. But I would definitely like to go once because after reading this article I see that it should be amazing. It should be really cool because you can meet your favorite heroes from the world of fairy tales there. Despite the fact that those characters are not real a photo with one of them can be a good souvenir.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been on several conventions and i really like it. There I met many interesting people. These are interesting places to meet people with similar interests. I've been to several festivals of fiction.
    I was on Avangarda in Warsaw a few times and on Falkon in Lubin. Both of these festivals each year are better organized.

    I personally am not a fan of comics books. So I can not really value this type of festivals.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have you ever been at a convention?
    Sure. I've been to Game and Comic cons before. They are fun. Espiecially if You have all access press license and photographer license :) It's fun taking pictured at what is going on behind the scences, especially after midnight if You know what I mean.
    And no, You cannot see any of those pictures. pffft.
    Did I participate as a regular Joe in any one of them? Not really. I allways take my camera with me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. No, I've never been to a convention. To be honest such meetings dont interest me at all. I've always thought it was a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete