Monday 8 December 2014

Week 10 [08.12 - 14.12] Christmas decorating ideas

Do you remember childhood time, waiting for snow and Santa Claus? Surely, decorating a tree and doing holiday decorations was a great joy for every kid in the Christmas time. One of them was a decorative chain made with colored paper. Who didn’t make this one as a kid?
http://www.strefadzieci.net/gfx_upload/2012/10/lancuch_head.jpg
But now, we’re older. We think of Christmas  as  leisure time –  probably most of us prefer sleeping on a sofa to decorating our trees. However, it’s worth finding some little time to do something different. Making do-it-yourself decorations gives a big fun. Especially,  if you have children in your family. 
I would like to show you fine examples of hand-made holiday decorations. I chose the ones, that aren’t very complicated to do, but they’re very attractive.

              
http://gandi77.blogspot.com/2012/11/karacsonyi-csillagok-hopihek-wc-papir.html
These paper stars are made from… toilet paper rolls. Preparation of this one is quite simple. You should just take scissors and slice the roll across into plain stripes. The resulting carton hoops are ready to knock together into the chosen shapes of Christmas stars. Then you must only paint it. 
http://relaxpics.com/diy-toilet-paper-roll-christmas-wreath/
In the same way you can do a Christmas wreath, like this one above. Probably you never expected that a toilet paper roll can be useful as a decoration, but that thing brings a lot of inspiration, and you can create with it very original ornaments.
 
http://regiodom.pl/portal/wnetrze/dekoracje-i-akcesoria/zdjecie-bombki-z-bibuly
http://www.naszekielce.com/?q=kiermasz_%C5%9Bwi%C4%85teczny_w_dworku_laszczyk%C3%B3w
The Christmas baubles you can see above  are made by regional artists. Personally, I have one of these (looks similar to baubles in the 1st photo)  and year by year it looks attractive. When I was a children that bauble was my favorite one. I was always wondering how it is made? Today  it’s not a secret. You need to have smooth blotting paper. Small pieces of paper should be rolled and then it’s important to tie it with a thread in the middle. Finally, you must tie it to take a form of ball. Done!
 
http://www.mindenegybenblog.hu/post_image/2014/11/1000_3r4r_20141118_155102.jpg

Ok, let’s go outside. Instead of a traditional snowman you can do colored ice balls. Preparation is very simple and you don’t need to spent hours out in  freezing cold.

http://whereimaginationgrows.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/frozen-water-balloons-summer-fun.jpg

All you can do is pour water into a balloon, add some paint (and maybe something sparkling, for example sequins or glitter), and tie it. Then, a water balloon should freeze, so you must just get it outside. When water is frozen, remove the balloon. I hope this year’s winter will be snowy and cold – in that way ice balls will be a great decoration!

Questions:

  • What does your Christmas preparation look like? Do you decorate your houses?
  • What about do-it-yourself stuff? Have you ever made “something from nothing”?
Sources:

  • pinterest.com
  • http://kurierostrolecki.pl/183995,Bombka-obwarzanek-w-kolejnej-odslonie-choinkowego-rekodziela.html#axzz3KgWGoTZM
  • http://whereimaginationgrows.com

20 comments:

  1. When I was younger, I really liked hand-made Christmas decorations. Every year my mom and I used to make them; I still have a box full of angels made of salt dough, handmade baubles and paper stars. They were also a good idea for Christmas gifts for the family :)

    Now that I'm older, I don't really have the time and patience for making decorations like that, and my younger brother replaced me in that field ;)

    However, I really like the ideas you posted, especially stars made of toilet paper rolls and colored ice balls, they look attractive and yet are easy to make :) Maybe I should try decorating the house again, I discovered that the older I become, the less magical my Christmas become.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love Christmas time, but I have to said sadly that year by year I am less excited. Years ago when I was a child I was looking forward with enthusiasm, because whole family took effort to prepare everything perfectly. Now when all family members are getting older no one any longer tries they best. The Christmas tree is bought in last second and everyone is too tired to decorate. Very often it is required to being present till 2 p.m. at work and anyway you do not feel Christmas magic anymore.

    Do-it-yourself stuff is amazing. No matter are they decorations or clothes or anything else it will be always better then one bought in shop. I tried few times creating fashion gadgets but my manual skills are definitely far away from professional designers.
    However I do appreciate more presents that are hand made and in my opinion there are priceless in contrary to bought products.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember making the paper chain. There was a competition in my primary school – a the end we would join our chains together and decorate the school’s “official” Christmas tree. A truly magical time !
    Probably as most of you, year after year I felt his magic disappearing. Now it is completely different- but still enjoyable, just in a different way. For example, I enjoy the fact that I don’t have to go to school or work during holidays – I can spend some time with my family and just rest.

    Getting back to the described decoration ideas: I really like the idea of a colorful frozen ball – that’s something I have never seen before.
    In sources section I saw that some content was taken from the newspaper that is printed in Ostrołęka. The whole region called Kurpie has a long tradition of making paper decorative cutouts, not only of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always decorate house at Christmas. In my room there is a small chritmas tree and in the living room we have a big one. All the windows are decorate with lights.
    I hang a christmas stock around the house because when I comming back from school or work I can feel this christmas atmosphere and relax.
    When me and my brother were young we loved doing paper chains with colored paper and this was our favorite decoration. Our longest paper chain had 10m long.

    I was so creative kid so that's why I study New Media Arts :D I can make something form nothing :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patrycja, I absolutely forgot about something like salt dough. I did it too. That was great, you have only salt, water and flour and you can create from this everything you want!

    Kasia, same here. These days around Christmas is the time, where we can find release in decorating :) I must admit I like to watch decorations in the neighbourhood. Some people have nice ideas, some of them shows trashy set, but all these things create that magic atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, my family usually decorates the house, but not too much. There's the Christmas Tree of course which we adorn with baubles, lights and tinsels. We also add garlands here and there, usually on cupboards and doors, that's all. But it's enough to create a warm Christmas atmosphere.
    It's been a while since I've done some hand-made decorations from "nothing". Nowadays I don't have time for that, but I remember doing this a few years ago - a paper star-shaped ornaments which we hang on the Christmas Tree to this day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always decorate house at Christmas. I have only one Christmas tree in living room. I really like decorate with dried oranges. It look vary good and they give smell throughout the house. also i wary like hung cinnamon sticks on the Christmas tree. This decorations give very Christmas smells.
    http://wnetrza-ze-smakiem.pl/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/suszone-pomarancze-na-choinke.jpg

    When i was a child i love doing paper chains. I was decorated whole house by paper decorations created by me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my family I usually don't participate in Christmas decoration, because I'm outside of my home town and usually when I return to my home town all is ready and I don't have nothing to do. In my home my parents decorates only small around 0,5m artificial Christmas tree with glass baubles, shiny tinsel and small lights.

    When I was younger at my primary school I get used to create some Christmas decorations like Christmas wreath, paper chains and paper decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't like to decorate house on Christmas or making some new Christmas decorating on my own. When I was younger i loved Christmas time, decorating, presents etc. Now for me it is only day off work but i have to admit that view of street at Christmas time is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agata, I like this idea. One holiday I used oranges like that: http://upload.polskawita.blue.pl/_files/documentsgalleries/13225714495134-62-pomander-cpr.jpg
    The decoration was effective, nobody wanted to eat them :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I was a kid, I waited impatiently for the Christmas holidays. Every year together with my sister and brother, I prepared Christmas decorations and decorated whole house. For me the main thing was I did the longest paper chain.
    Decorating a Christmas tree in my house is a tradition. We have only one, quite large tree in livinig room. Each member of the family must be involved in decorating the Christmas tree. We decorate the Christmas tree with glass baubles and lights. Few years ago We also decorated outside our house but now we have too little time to afford this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I decorate my house during christmas time with my whole family. Usualy we buy the products to decorate the scenery. Rarely we make them on our own.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even if it doesn’t suit to the men at my age, I totally love the Christmas atmosphere! Especially, the walks in the big cities are relevantly more pleasurable than during other year seasons (http://vimeo.com/56089786). The cities are so magically decorated and people are more kind for each other. Speaking about the decorations, I’d rather buy some instead of doing them by myself. I’m not an creative and skillful person when it comes about such DIY things. In my opinion these decorations from the shops look more elegant and pretty. When I come home before Christmas, everything is usually already decorated, but that’s not a deal for me, as I’m more that kind of person who admires the views rather than making them more attractive on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Before Christmas, as always, my family and I will decorate our place with lights and Christmas tree. Unfortunately we do not make any decorations ourselves. They are mainly lights from the store. The last time when I made Christmas decorations myself was at secondary school.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never done any kind of Christmas decoration. I thought it was rather for girls. Now I am a bit older and I do not have time for that, and I steel think it is for girls. :P If I were asked to make some decorations for Christmas I would prepare the lighting. Colourful and flashing lights during night are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adam Kaliński S936714 December 2014 at 23:15

    Decorating house and Christmas Tree is tradition in my home. We decorate it by lights and glass baubles.
    When I was younger, I always make colorful, paper chains, stars and others decorations. But the idea of frozen balls are very innovative I can say. DIY receipts sometimes are very funny and interesting and what's important it's very cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  18. At my home potside we put lights around the pond and decorate one or two trees. And inside the christmas tree is decorated mostly with animals. Birds, butterflies (i know, it's weird, but my mum said "what the hell, christmas tree is almost like Noah's Ark, we take all animals) dears, carps and this year swans joined the party.

    I don't remember when was last time I actually made something for christmas decoration, mostly beacause of lack of time befor Christmas Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What does your Christmas preparation look like?
    A lot of baking, boiling, burning and stuff.
    Do you decorate your houses?
    Ofcourse. Like everyone in Poland. Isn't it like a Polish tradition or something?
    What about do-it-yourself stuff?
    I decorate the ourside of the house with millions and millions of led lights.
    Have you ever made “something from nothing”?
    I made couple of spaghetti dishes before basiacally from next to nothing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do not know why there is no my earlier comment.

    I agree with Jan. It was rather for girls. In my family home is the role of women. I like Christmas decorations on the Christmas tree. Especially, when the tree is alive and feel her beautiful scent. Then I feel the magic of Christmas.
    When I was a child I helped my mom to decorate our home, but today it is not in the sphere of my interests.

    ReplyDelete