Saturday 5 January 2013

Winter holidays in the mountains or in the warm countries?


Only one month left before the winter break and like every year many of us have the same dilemma – a hot or cold winter holiday spots?

http://dcs-188-64-84-13.atmcdn.pl/scale/o2/tvn/web-content/m/i/feab05aa91085b7a8012516bc3533958/2492bfe6-092f-11e1-959e-0025b511229e.jpg?type=1&quality=100&srcmode=0&srcx=0/1&srcy=1/1&srcw=99/100&srch=1/1&dstw=636&dsth=358

A few words about Warm Countries
For people who like summer an opportunity to spend a few days in the middle of Polish winter on  a warm, sunny beach is very tempting, because warm climates allow us to heat our body for the rest of winter. The most popular directions are: Egypt, Madeira, Cyprus, Thailand, Tenerife, Hierro (the smallest of the Canary Islands), Goa India, Israel, Morocco, Tunisia and Turkey. There are two ways to get to warm countries. First, purchase a trip in a travel office, second purchase a flight ticket and look for hotels on your own. Holidays via travel office are safer and sometimes cheaper than going on your own. For example you can fly to Cyprus for 8 days for 1000 zł (between January and March). You can also buy a trip to Zanzibar and stay in 5* hotel for 26 000 zł for 15 days ;) of course every price is for one person.

http://i.imgur.com/2QOJX.jpg
Now, when we know the prices we should think why we would like to lose the possibility  to ski and snowboard for the benefit of a  days of lying and frying on a sunny beach? We should ask ourselves a few questions, for example this:
1) Do I like summer and temperatures above 30 degrees?
2) Do I like summer more than winter?
3) What do I think about flying by plane?
4) Do I have appropriate swimsuits?

 A few words about winter break in the mountains
Who of us doesn't like the snow? Nobody I think (I mean snow in the countryside). Many of us, people from Central-Eastern Europe are just waiting for a winter break to have the opportunity to ski and snowboard. Why is it so exciting and many of us do  it every year? The answer is simple, because skiing and snowboarding provides us with fresh air, activity, bright conditions and many more. Thanks to it we are happier and we have new power to life. What about the costs? We have our own mountains in the South, but there are not so many ski pistas and the prices are really high, so a better idea is to choose the Alps in Italy, Switzerland or Austria. An average price of a 10 day trip to Switzerland is about 1500 zł per person (included: skipass, coach, accommodation and insurance). So as we see, the prices are very close to the prices of trips to warm countries.

http://skateboardingxd.blox.pl/resource/Best_Snowboard_Desktop_Sport_Airborne.jpg

Now, when we know the prices and destinations of our winter trips, we should ask ourselves a few questions, for example:
1) Do I like winter and temperatures below 0 degrees?
2) Do I like winter more than summer?
3) What do I think about traveling by bus?
4) Do I have appropriate ski clothes?
5) Do I have snowboard/ski equipment in the right condition?
6) Do I have RECCO in my ski jacket? (in case of snow avalanche)

Summarizing, we can spend a winter break in two ways (practically in three, adding lying on the couch and watching TV) in a hot and sunny country or in the mountains. I prefer warm countries so if I only have time I try to fly for a few days to warm beach, but I also like snowboarding so sometimes I choose the mountains.

Questions:
1) What do you prefer, a hot or cold winter holiday spots?
2) Have you ever tried skiing or snowboarding?
3) Have you ever been in warm countries when in Poland there was winter?

9 comments:

  1. For me the main idea is: When there is winter in Poland then I should go to warm countries, and when it's warm in Poland I should go to ski :)

    However, I have never been in warm countries during Poland's winter.

    On this holidays I'm going to learn how to ski in Polish mountains.

    Why wouldn't go to the Thailand or Egipt?

    Because I have only a few days for my holidays. If I'd had two free weeks I will consider that.

    Second argument is that I really want to try skiing. A lot of my friends are enjoying it so there has to be something in it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually spend the winter vacation in the city. I'm not a winter sports fanatic. Once I tried skiing and snowboarding, but they coincided with my tastes. In the winter, I like the atmosphere, white snow and Christmas holidays. I tried skiing and snowboarding they are not may favorite.

    Personally, I like holidays, regardless of whether I will spend it in the mountains or by the sea. Recently I came to the conclusion that active leisure time better on me than lying flat on the beach or walking around the shops in a tourist resort. I dream of a trip somewhere for 2 weeks during which I could do some sightseeing and enjoy a sport, it seems to me that this is what would make me the most relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I prefer hot winter holidays, although a long time ago I was nowhere
    2. For 3 years I rode on a snowboard, I have own equipment, but I'm not a big fan of winter sports, crop, after all trips in a warm place, or trips to the city, I can see beautiful views, get a tour of museums, admire the architecture, it must be a popular choice where it is hot.
    3. I wasn’t, usually leaving just a holiday, or in May.

    ReplyDelete

  4. 1. Even though, I enjoy snowboarding,there is nothing like being in the sun or swimming in the refreshing cool water. I always look forward to summer holidays when my family and I go abroad to the warm countries. Being on the beach is the perfect way to relax for me. I enjoy hot climates with high temperature. The hotter the better. Hence, I will always choose the sunny holidays to cold winter weather.
    2. I learnt how to snowboard few years ago and I enjoy it a lot. I like going down high mountains when I am in charge of my moves and speed. It is a good way to relax and exercise at the same time.
    3. I have never had a chance to be abroad when it is a winter in Poland. However, my family members used to live in Miami,Florida and often talk how strange it felt to celebrate Christmas on the beach or have a real Christmas tree with the scorching temperature outside. I think I prefer hot summers and cold winters the traditional way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I prefer a warm place for a holiday. Break from everything reminds me of soaking up the sun, whether it is summer or winter. It's nice to leave in a warm place while with us it is a real winter, not like now in the window. I've never skied, and never went away in the winter break. I've always wanted to try snowbording maybe one day. In Poland it is always cold: D. But I envy the person who go abroad when it is -15 in Poland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As it appears to me, winter is very special not only because of Christmas time that we look forward to but also because of winter holiday. Me personally, I would never decide to spend this time in Egypt or Tunisia even though winter in Poland can be sometimes unpleasant or painful. However, we should benefit from the polish climate which is most especial. What is more, I consider practicing winter sports as one of the best ways of spending time when it is freezing. When people fly to other countries in order to have a rest and wait the winter out, they stay there lying on the sunbeds and being lazy, whereas they could have had fun in their country of origin and done something to keep fit and healthy. Probably, most of them, live unconsciously because they have never tried skiing or snowboarding. I bet they would enjoy it, if they forced themselves to try at least once. Obviously, there must be something about the exotic places during the winter but, in my opinion, it is not for everyone; mainly because some people love to stay in the place where they can practice winter sports and they appreciate the climate, but also because of the lack of money which might be one of the fatal factors, since flying to distant places might very high-priced. Concluding, I can see the advantages of this kind spending holiday, however I would recommend trying winter sports for all of the people who blindly believe that spending so special time outside from Poland is by far better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Warm country. Said enough.
    I like the climat shock :) :) :), it's really cool and kind of exotic to spend some time in warm country when there is a winter in your homeland and spend some time in winter country when there is a summer in yours :) i think it is more fun. But of course not many people including me, can't afford this comfort so often or even not at all....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do sport all time of the year, but I also like season-sports like snowboarding in the winter or windsurfing in the summer. I cant say which one of them I prefer, I like the equally.
    I have never been in any warm country while in Poland was winter.

    I can't say that I liike temperatures below 0, I'm just used to it. as well I'm used to having four different seasons of the year, so I cant say neither which one I like more.
    I always travel by a bus when it comes to winter vacation. Its better than flying because it s cheaper and simpler to handle with all the luggages and stuff.
    I do have appropriate ski clothes, however it don't contain recco system. My snowboard is not quite in good condition, but I plan to serviced it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As mentioned in the previous articles I am a huge fan of winter sports. So I have no problem with the decision :)
    Although, I must admit that now when I am staying in Warsaw during winter all I can see is just snow and frost, and because of that I have started to dream about going to warm countries. Maybe it is a high time to fulfill my dream... :)

    ReplyDelete