Saturday 5 January 2013

Safety on Polish roads



http://www.zinfo.pl/imageArtykuly/big/5958.jpg
In the first half of 2012 on Polish roads happened 16 547 car accidents in which 1 555 people died and 20 531 were injured. It means that one person is killed in every tenth crash. The first half was less tragic than the corresponding period the previous year, when in 17 939 accidents 1 786 people died and more than 22 000 were injured. This means a decrease in the number of victims by about 13%.



These statistics are tragic, because it shows that every year in our country about 3 100 people are killed on roads. This puts us on 24th place of 27 European countries because of number of killed persons per million citizens.
Since the most popular cause of crashes is excessive speed our government decided to reduce accidents by enforcing speed limits. They bought about 500 speed cams and 300 police cars with speed cams. Every day they make tens of thousands photos and movies and send them with fines to drivers. The average cost of this speeding fine is about 350 zł, because of this every year the budget of our country increases  by 3 million zł .


http://s2.blomedia.pl/autokult.pl/images/2012/04/Nowoczesny-fotoradar-5684022-209485.jpg
In my opinion in Poland it is very hard to reduce average speed, a better idea is to help our citizens to change their cars to newer and safer. The German government introduced a subsidy program for citizens who give their old car for scrap. Every citizen gets EUR 2 500, which could be used only for the purchase of a brand new car. It is estimated that 250 000 people get grants every month. For me is a better idea, because newer car = safer car. They also have motorways without speed limits, because they know that it is hard to reduce avg. speed of drivers and it is better to invest in newer, safer cars.
As you can see in following video new cars are safer than the older ones. Now avg. age of our cars is 15,5 years and 70% of our cars are older than 10 years. For example, I will show you a video with a crash test of a very popular car in Poland - Volksvagen Golf, the first is a brand new 2012 Golf 7th , the second is Golf 3rd from 1992.


I think changing cars to newer and safer versions will be more effective in reducing the number of car accident victims. I know that this won't reduce accidents to zero, but a new special safety equipment like ESP ABS etc. helps us to prevent some of crashes. For example, Volvo introduced in 2008 "City Safety" system, which stops our car when we don't respond to a pedestrian who is on our way or the car in front of us has stopped.
 Watch from 1:15 ;)

Unfortunately it doesn‘t work perfectly, but it's better than nothing.
Question to discuss:
1. Have you ever had a car accident? If yes, what was the cause of it?
2. Have you ever got a speeding fine?
3. What do you think about the massive attack with speed cams on us?
4. What do you think about the safety equipment like ABS, ESP, City Safety, Air Bags etc.?
5. Have you heard about the Swiss speeding solutions? http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9a0d279a-fc91-11de-bc51-00144feab49a.html#axzz2H7KGHYCe   What do you think of them?

10 comments:

  1. 1. Fortunately I have never had an accident :)
    2. I can't say that I respect speed limits but since I have a driving license I didn't get any ticket. I'd get a few unless I use CB-radio to know where I should respect speed limit.
    3. Speed cams - thats the good topic :) IMO they are good and necessary but there is one very important thing: they should be very well marked.

    When I see sign: "Be careful there is speed cam" then I reduce speed limit and be careful. That's ok, it prevents accidents in dangerous places.

    Unfortunately in Poland the most speed cams are placed in not dangerous spots with unnecessary speed limits. These aren't prevent accidents. It's just a way to get money for government or community.

    This makes no sense it's just robbery.

    4. This winter I have my first car with RWD and I see that it'd be driving very harder for me without ESP. These systems are good because it helps drivers to avoid dangerous situations.

    5. Unfortunately I cannot read this article due to "FT.com articles are only available to registered users and subscribers."

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Have you ever had a car accident? If yes, what was the cause of it?
    I've never had a car accident.

    2. Have you ever got a speeding fine?
    So a few times accidentally crossed the speed, once I got a big fine and some penalty points. I hope that in the near future that I will not meet again pleasure.

    3. What do you think about the massive attack with speed cams on us?
    I think that Polish drivers do not follow traffic rules and a way to control the drivers should be implemented. Number of photo radar actually has increased dramatically recently on Polish roads, but has hopes that it will improve safety and reduce the number of accidents.

    4. What do you think about the safety equipment like ABS, ESP, City Safety, Air Bags etc.?
    I believe that any additional security in the car improves passenger safety. I do not know the statistics, but it seems to me if all these new technologies and improved security mechanisms are not that nobody would not be paid any attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Luckily I have never had a car accident and I hope I will not have.
    2. I have a driving license for two years, but didn’t have a car, so unfortunately I don’t drive a car, and for now, I had no way to get a fine.
    3. I think this is a good solution, because people are seeing the speed control information and release, to avoid the mandate, but I agree with Peter, some cameras are placed in locations that are not dangerous, and thus the country's budget increases.
    4. These are the security measures, which are needed and saved the lives of many people.
    5. I cannot read this article.

    ReplyDelete

  4. 1. Fortunately, I have never been in a car accident and hopefully I will never experience it either.
    2. I guess I am a lucky driver because I have never got a speeding ticket, yet, I must say I was close few times. Sometimes it is difficult to keep the right speed, especially, when the road has different speed limits.
    3.Personally, I think the speed cameras are a necessity, especially in the local areas with schools or children playgrounds. I think people tend to break the law when they are uncontrolled,hence, some restrictions like speed cameras are essential. It is all for our own good.
    4. All the safety aspects that come with new cars are an important addition for the drivers. Unfortunately, the better and more expensive car, the better safety aspects, which not everyone can afford. It looks like your safety depends on the car that you drive. However,they are very essential and important, especially in the car accident when they can save one's life.
    5. As stated by my classmates, I could not log in to read the article. However,I believe it is about the new law that went into place on January 1st 2013 which talks about the jail time for speeding drivers. I think it is a bit harsh, but on the other hand,it might save many lives and teach the reckless drivers a lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had two car accidents. The one at fault my fatigue, the other woman who ran a second car. nice is that there is something like insurance :). Speeding fines I get from the cameras that are buried in the woods. What a country where crocodiles hide and shoot to people :). In this situation, even the CB does not help. In recent years, in fact the amount of things and people that control our speed has increased dramatically. What raises my outrage, because it is not adequate for the number of new roads. All systems that facilitate and assist the driver in specific conditions, may be more harm than help. The lack of basic skills and mandatory training related to the changing conditions on the road, causing the people implicitly trust the systems. Not many people know that seat belts can kill or damage our health. Swiss speeding solutions wow this is sick, but on the other hand, it can be said that the law is equal for everyone because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never had any accident, and i hope i will not. I really think we should all respect speed limits, or use our brains when driving. Few days ago my friend and his girlfriend was hit by car in the small town, the driver was speeding and they were passing through the zebra... the girl died from this accident, she was only 18 yo and my friends 23 yo, had 3 surgeries. His legs are ruined... According to the 3rd question, the solution on that street, when was the accident would be to put there a cam so it could prevent reckless driving. ABS ESP and any other equipment will not bring back to life who's died in accident. We should drive resposibly. Speed limits are not to fight with us, but they are to prevent accidents with pedastrians. As Piotr Dębosz said, i also think that cams should be marked very well, this is always a psychological barrier for the drivers. I would like to know the swiss solution, but it's for registered users... really sorry i'm too lazy for this maaaaan :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry, I didn't know that it's necessary to have an account to read the article. I can't copy it for you because of this message which is shown when I try to copy it here. "High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9a0d279a-fc91-11de-bc51-00144feab49a.html#ixzz2HEw0lqxS"

    The article says that Switzerland's government passed a law which says that the cost of speeding fine depends on income of driver. The most spectacular is record fine imposed on a millionaire caught speeding at 137 kilometres an hour in a 100 km/h area... he must paid $290,000 (yes, almost three hundred thousand dollars!!! IT IS MORE THAN 900 000 zl!!!). For example in Poland, when you are speeding at 137 kilometres an hour in a 100 km/h area you can get a fine of from 200zl to 300zl and 6 penalty points.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. I had accident once, and the cause of was driver's lack of experience.

    2. I had little speed fines but all of them cost a lot money.

    3. I think there are too many speed cams. Often they are placed at the points where threat of accident is very low. On my way from home to school I have to pass three, and this is only 10 kilometers distance.
    Those cams are not to increase safety on the road, but to reduce the budget deficit.

    4.Some of those you've mentioned are indispensable to driving, all safety-increasing systems are good idea.

    5. I have never heard of Swiss speeding solution, and unfortunately i cannot open the article.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I had an accident and it was caused by the weather and inexperienced drivers who did not have control over their vehicles while it was raining. I was also given speed fines. When it comes to speed cams, I believe that they reduce the number of people who transgress speed limits. But on the other hand, if someone really needs the adrenaline and loves exotic driving will always find a place where there are no cameras or they will just not care. There are a lot of drivers who know exactly where the cameras are placed and they know when they can hurtle along the streets. Polish roads are indeed dangerous but I guess that without safety equipment there would be by far more accidents and fatal casualties. When it comes to Swiss solutions, I believe that they might be very helpful for reducing the total number of crazy drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fortunately I never had a car accident and I hope it will not change. All the time I hear about how someone from my environment lose his friend, family member or the loved one in a car accident. It really scares that many people do not drive carefully, always rush somewhere or drive after drinking alcohol. I really not know which one is worse...Two and a half year ago my close friend died in an accident when the drunk cyclist hit him. Cyclist survived, but my friend died...

    ReplyDelete