Monday 2 June 2014

[Week 12] Light bulbs

An artificial light source is undoubtedly one of the most useful inventions of man. Whenever you need to light up your bedroom - you will surely appreciate not having to start a fire.

Until quite recently, our best options were oil and gas lamps. It was in 1835, when a first electric light was demonstrated by British scientists. The following years saw a multitude of attempts to improve the design - which was expensive and had a very short life.

After trying out several different materials, in 1879 a team led by Thomas Edison created a light bulb with a carbon filament, which could work for just about 14 hours. Shortly after, by using different materials and construction, they managed to extend its life even further - to an impressive 1200 hours. That’s about the lifespan of the incandescent light bulbs we still use today.



Fast forward to the 1930s. Energy shortages created the need for a more efficient lighting solution. This led to the development of a fluorescent lamps.

Still, the compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) that we use today were created much later. And even though they were introduced back in the 1980s, they weren’t really useful until about 10 years later, when improvements made them cheaper, smaller, brighter and more durable.
All this comes at a price - the CFLs have several downsides, such as blinking (more visible in poor quality bulbs), non-natural light spectrum, and toxic mercury inside the tube.



Currently the most efficient light source is the LED, the luminescence-emitting diode. Today’s LED light bulbs, although very efficient, are still pretty expensive and usually dimmer than their CFL counterparts. This, however will most likely change soon, considering the speed at which this technology moves forward.





1. Do you use LED bulbs in your home?
2. What is your preferred type of light source?
3. Do you care about light bulb power consumption?

8 comments:

  1. 1. Do you use LED bulbs in your home?
    No. I don't like my eyes burning out to fast.
    2. What is your preferred type of light source?
    Lightbulb..... Or is it some kind of trick question? If that's the case then I'll go with "7"
    3. Do you care about light bulb power consumption?
    Not really. Difference between energyefficient lighbulb and regular lightbulb is so little that it's not worth it. The second editon of lightbulbs (fluorescent?) need constant use of energy making them useless for households. The third edition (LED) are so pricey it's not worth it. My preffered could be LED as my computer screen has LED backlight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont use LED bulbs, cause I prefer LED strips, I love to play with light and this gives me more possibilities to arrange light in room.
    My preferred type of light source depends on situations. When working daylight is the best light source. But when I cook or training i love cold light from any type of source.
    Power consumption it's not the most crucial aspect when I buy any type of electronic devices

    ReplyDelete
  3. @armandstanczak
    No trick questions here, though I did expect most answers to be "sun" or "fridge"

    @przemekM
    Sure daylight is the best. It's a pity most of the programmers I know are nocturnal creatures who only get to work under the moonlight

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Do you use LED bulbs in your home?
    No, I don't use LED bulbs.
    2. What is your preferred type of light source?
    The most suitable for me is the simplest light bulb, and then led. I personally hate CFLs, because light from them is not natural.
    3. Do you care about light bulb power consumption?
    Not really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m sorry but I have no idea what bulbs are in my home.
    I like daylight and warm light. Never thought about light bulb power consumption.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Do you use LED bulbs in your home?
    No, I use CFL.
    2. What is your preferred type of light source?
    Small lamp with very weak light.
    3. Do you care about light bulb power consumption?
    I only care how long will light bulb last.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. No. Now I'm using fluorescent light with "warm light" option, but I am kind of forced to use these.
    2. First place is for sunlight, second for traditional light bulbs with warm light.
    3. I started to care about it as I have to pay energy bills for nearly a year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. Do you use LED bulbs in your home?
    Yes I use LEDs but only in place like kitchen or bathroom.

    2. What is your preferred type of light source?
    For me the best is classic. Light temperature is also important.
    Dont like cold light.
    3. Do you care about light bulb power consumption?
    Yes but not at all costs. Thats why I have LED bulbs in selected places.

    ReplyDelete