Wednesday 16 October 2013

Week 3: Urban Exploring

Greetings, readers! I'm Martyna and this is my first post on this blog, so please share your thoughts if boredom level hits your high point or my monologue sounds like gibberish to you. In my presentations, I would like to share with you my knowledge and passion in one exciting matter - extreme tourism! Sounds dangerous? Well, it should, but it also gives a lot more fun than anything a travel agency can provide... For some people, at least.

I have always been passionate about traveling. When I was younger, I saved all the money I got or earned to spend it during the summer. Every June, when the school gates closed, I packed my bags to go anywhere, and by "anywhere" I really meant it, sometimes getting into the first train that arrived on my station. My parents were mad at first, but as they were the same in their younger days, I soon got my permission to go abroad, where the real adventures began.

Fortunately, you don't have to go far away or spend a lot of money to start your own adventure with extreme tourism. Have you ever heard of the term "urbex" or "building hacking"?


There are a lot of fascinating places in every town or city, but most of them are unknown to the public. People tend to have a minimum knowledge of places they live in, and in the meantime, few groups of urban explorers go from city to city to discover every underground tunnel, bunker or beautiful interiors of abandoned buildings, which often are ignored by those who live nearby. Ventures into uninhabited spaces are often followed by photographic documentation, as a lot of urbex fans are also talented photographers or camera operators. You can see some examples of their work on ukurbex.com, a special discussion board created to share experiences connected with urban exploration.


This form of extreme tourism has a huge group of supporters in Poland. Our country attracts a lot of foreigners interested in this matter - Wrocław is listed next to Paris and London in terms of the amount of places to discover! Did you know that Germans basically wanted to build the "second Wrocław" underground, with bunkers connected by streets huge enough to handle a car traffic? They began their work during the Second World War and unfinished results still are under the real streets of the city.


But the real pearl in the urbex universe lies not far away from the Polish border. Chernobyl - famous for the tragic disaster that caused a massive radiation in the central part of Europe and resulted in evacuation of the whole city of Prypyat. Ventures into the  radiated area began almost 20 years ago, when first hitchhikers and bikers published their journey diaries on the Internet. Holding Geiger's counters in their hands, they put their health at risk just to explore the "post-apocalyptic" region. They also helped to secure this terrain by counting radiation levels. Now, dangerous areas are protected by special signs and the disaster site is a lot safer. However, there is no chance to get there alone (I tried :-) ) - journeys without a special guide were forbidden after last year's accident, when two urban explorers tried to take photos inside one abandoned house and the floor collapsed.


What do you think of this kind of tourism? Do you consider it a crime of private property trespassing, or is it ok if the place is uninhabited? Have you ever had a chance to enter an abandoned building, and if so, how was it?

16 comments:

  1. Well, that's great that you're writing on that subject.
    I would love to do that kind of urban exploring, but, to be honest, I'm affraid. Once I wen't to an abandoned house complection in Berlin, and the roof collapsed right after we left. So... yes, that would be it with that kind of experiments from my part.
    But I'm happy, that there's still someone among my friends who does it!
    Anyway, that's still the best tourism you can get. Maybe one day I'll overcome my fear ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. uh.. i try find part one of this this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E_egS-4TyU&list=PLBD94ADFC75D8FE67 . It's my first think about this title. I think it's a little.... strange...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your post. It's well written, engaging and entertaining as well as informative. I wasn't familiar with subject of urban exploring but it sounds quite interesting and I can just imagine the thrill one might get while exploring all those fascinating places. And to answer your question: yes, I believe that trespassing on a private ground is a crime, even when it's uninhabited.
    The only question I still have is the question of safety. I understand that with extreme sports (& tourism) it might not be a priority, but shurely you still have ways of protecting yourself eg. from getting lost in abandoned tunnels etc.
    I would love to hear more on that subject.
    Anyway - it seems really cool- keep at it and enjoy your passion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Urban exploring is pretty exciting thing. I first heard about that from my friend that entered Modlin Fortress few years ago through a hole in the fence. I would love to try this however I would be worried about legal issues. Some objects are freely open to enter but most are dangerous because of structural weakness. There is a YouTube channel where 2 polish guys explore different objects in Poland. They have cameras with them and put regular updates on the excursions they have done. Some might know them since they have other channels. Anyways, some might find it interesting to watch although videos tend to be long: http://www.youtube.com/TubeRaiders

    ReplyDelete
  5. Concerning legal issues, it's somehow interesting how police acts entirely different, depending on a situation, country or even city. In some countries, like France, urbex is so popular that police tends to stop people from going into dangerous places, but without any punishment. In Poland, situation gets worse when the propriety owner calls with his concerns (even if the propriety is totally abandoned and ruined). With some bad luck, you can get arrested.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought there are no dangerous looking places in Poland where there aren't some drunk bums drinking vodka ;-)

    Seriously though, it sounds like a pretty cool idea, although I personally wouldn't like to die entering some creepy looking building. If I knew the place was entirely safe, I'd probably like to try. One time I went to a cementery at night and thought it's one of the scariest experiences, but it was fun so maybe there's something exciting about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We did a project for Chrysler about two months ago and by chance I found a very interesting movie:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emaWdBcUyHs

    Urban exploring is becoming increasingly popular. Maybe you know the competition on Facebook: "where was captured image". Very cool action.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Urban exploring is cheap version of extreme tourism :)
    I never tried this in warsaw, but i was in chernobyl.

    Martyna you wrote that is impossible to visit Pripyat alone. I was there and I do what I wanted :)

    I made some presentation few months ago:
    http://onlineclasspjwstk-malgorzataswierk.blogspot.com/2012/11/extreme-tourism-pripyat-chernobyl.html

    Everything revolves around breaking the law. I think urban exploring is more vulnerable getting troubles than visiting places away from civilization.

    anyway strongly recommend :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have something in common Martyna, I also love to travel. I love explore other countires. Italy, Croatia and Spain are among my favourite places. I have never heard about urbex, building tracking. So it was nice to get to know something new. But I must admit that this kind of speding free time is not tempting for me at all. I prefer open spaces.
    On the other hand you are right that people lack the knowledge about their city, event their neighbourhood. I would really like to see some unexplored interesting buildings in Warsaw but not underground tunnels:P

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard about Urban Exploring before so many thanks for your post. I'd love to go on a trip like this one day but for sure not to Chernobyl. Maybe I will try to find places worth exploring in Warsaw. I live near to an abandoned building and few times I was there with my friends to take photos. The view from there is really amazing - you can see whole Wilanów. We were always careful so nothing bad ever happened. I think one has to remember about safety in places like this. First, it's usually old and something can collapse (like it happened in Chernobyl) and second, it's still private propriety and you should remember that someone can call police and you can get into trouble. Maybe I sound a bit like a parent but I know a similar place where accidents often happen. It is an abandoned construction, next to the cafe-club Warszawa Powiśle, in which a lot of people party during summer. When they got drunk they fall from stairs or throw bottles at people.
    The last thing I want to say is that trespassing is against the law but if the place is inhabited in my view it's okey to go there as long as you behave in civilized manner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Martyna – all three presentations were great, very interesting!
    I’ve explored such places. An abandoned hospital, for example – a very mysterious place. I paid
    no attention to hazards such as ceiling falling on your head, though. Was I careless?
    I was a bit concerned about breaking the law, but it didn’t stop me.
    Przemysław – I’d like to see Modlin Fortress! I googled it out of curiosity. Your friend must have gone there a long time ago, now they’re organizing sightseeing tours there :)
    http://www.twierdzamodlin.pl/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Przemek - so you didn't have to get there with a guide, right? There was an accident in Prypyat recently when the floor fell down with a photographer, and from what I heard (especially in Ukrainian embassy) now you have to pay the guide to get you there. I think you can also get some big greens to the guards and they'll let you in, but private guide seems to be even cheaper than this :D I don't know how many dollars should I keep in my pockets to lead me through guarded areas alone.

    There is an awesome place "near" Warsaw - abandoned mental hospital in Otwock. Truely scary and fascinating, located in the middle of the forest, which lies in the middle of nowhere. My friends went there like a week ago and took photos of some Slender references :) https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1383064_10201562348799443_1006022125_n.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard that in Warsaw and the surrounding area you can find a lot of abandoned structures (especially underground). My only chance to try something like that was in high school, when we found with friends small door which turned out to be entrance to bomb shelters (something about them in link, unfortunately in polish - video). Do you know some interesting places like that around us?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like post apocalyptic fantasy so I would really like to visit abandoned and ruined building in big cities ( I think it is 'officially' impossible in Poland to visit such places because of law and safety regulations :( ). As every hobby and activity such thing has it's pros and cons. It can be more thrilling and exciting than regular - 'boring' sightseeing because of some danger factor when on other hand some people can harm others' property.
    When i was younger I visited lots of old World War II bunkers which were abandoned by Germans. It was great way of exploring especially when You went down and see no light and felt little of space and the only thing You have and depend on is flashlight and sharped stick to protect Yourself (only habitats of those bunkers were wild animals - mostly rats and bats, I once saw dead and rotting wolf's body) and to feel holes in the ground...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I myself would never enter a building that didn’t look solid and could collapse - I don’t want to experience such a thing as Dalvia did. However, although I know that trespassing is generally a crime, I must admit that don’t find it as such. What comes to my mind are squatters that sometimes convert abandoned buildings into cultural centres with free of charge concerts, workshops and exhibitions but that’s not connected to urban exploring. I am not much of a fan of such kinds of tourism but I don’t mind if others are as long as they don’t put people in jeopardy or hurt anybody. I think that urban exploring might be attractive because it involves some kind of thrill of doing something prohibited. Regarding the first video in the post, I am not sure that in times of terrorist attacks entering unauthorised to underground tunnel is a good idea and would I prefer it if people refrained from doing so. On the other hand, a friend of mine, a photographer, has done a few great sessions in locations that he did not have permission to enter which may be all the more reason to take photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is kind of different from anything I have seen before :) I like to travel and love exploring interesting locations, but it never cross my mind to go under the city itself. I agree that there is a rich history behind this urban construction, but i can not find there nothing of interest for myself. We are all different and we like different things. I am happy for you guys who find this stuff interesting or even exciting, but running in canals or metro tunnel is just not for me. I prefer to see those places from the comfort of my leather comfortable chair. And because of that I would like to thank you for sharing this post with us. I found it very interesting. Keep up good work :).

    ReplyDelete