Friday 25 October 2013

Week 4: MMO

MMO


MMO - Massively multiplayer online. In other words these are online games, involving many players. The most common are MMORPG , role-playing games , where we travel around alternative worlds , doing quest , killing monsters, collecting experiences . We create our avatar in these worlds.

Possibilities of MMORPG.
Interesting is the fact that u must remember one thing in this game! Not every beautiful girl in a game... is a girl in the real world;)

Many of you may not even have a clue that the MMO origins date back the seventies. Since then, the games of this genre have changed a lot.
Besides MMORPG s there are also other MMO - MMOFPS 's ( Quake Live ,Combat Arms ) or MMO racing (Need for Speed World ) .
The games of this type are available in shops, some can be downloaded for free and some of them are already attached to a web browser .

There are also deluxe editions of some games. They cost round 600PL or more! But often you get a special figure from a game, an artbook, soundtrack on a cd, sometimes exclusive content.
Some are paid per month and others are based on micropayment ( download and play for free, but we must pay for additional content or improvements , if you want of course eg. to change color of hair, better armor.
The undisputed king of MMO games is considered World of Warcraft (unfortunately...), which ruled supreme for years. While the game is not as popular as it used to be, it is still being played by over 10 million active players.
Paid MMOs are still amongst the popular type. Blizzard, the developer of World of Warcraft, can be the best example of it. If you want to play the popular WoW, you have to pay a regular fee. Fortunately, for players, MMO developers are starting to give up subscriptions . More and more companies are choosing to operate in a free -to-play model (like "Terra" which at the beginning was paid monthly, now is free). Analysts have speculated that Star Wars: The Old Republic - one of the most famous MMOs of recent years - will be one of the last productions of this type , in which we will have to pay subscriptions . Or rather, like Electronic Arts has already resigned from the compulsory fee of up to 50 level, which gives us a lot hours of play.

" How can you make money ,giving up payment? " - Some ask. Abandonment of subscriptions can be very profitable, as evidenced by numerous cases. One of the best example will be World of Tanks, by Wargaming.net , earning a fortune on mikrotransactions. They are really micro, but that its secret. Players have to pay only 2-5 dollars, so he think it's nothing. So far in this popular production have registered more than 20 million users. This way, Wargaming.net reportedly earns several million dollars a month!

They also made a special offer!
It seems that in this direction will go further MMO developers who recognize that it is better to give something for free , and make voluntary payments to be valuable additions rather than forcing players to regularly pay just for playing .

Many of MMO can be found directly on the Internet, in a web browser. Among them we can find so many interesting titles that cannot be plaid during one lifetime. They are perfect to spend some free time.
Do you like playing MMO games? what are yours experience with them? or u didn't eveer play? and why? What is your favorite game and why?


10 comments:

  1. Seems like a perfectly suited subject for me, as I tackled a little bit of MMO addiction few years ago. :) It wasn't really problematic, fortunately, but I still regret spending my money on prepaids. The worlds created by developers are usually incredibly beautiful and entertaining; they contain a lot of stories that many books could share, often combined with musical masterpieces to play during our exploration.

    I can understand how people can devote their lives to those games, but I wouldn't blame the games themselves - every person I've met or read about that had (or have) a serious MMO addiction, also have to deal with problems in real life. Games (as drugs or alcohol) can be an escaping plan, but they're not the root of the problem.

    The positive side? Micro-societies in those fantasy worlds are an object of sociology studies, there are some interesting events happening from time to time, such as virtual concerts or even weddings and funerals! Drowning in those virtual dreams can ease our everyday stress and sometimes even help in developing ourselves. My adventure with World of Warcraft is one of the reasons I finally decided that I want to make games myself in my future job.

    Men pretending to be sexy female Elves are just a part of the problem. Once I spent almost whole day playing with a group of awesome Greek players - we talked, laughed, joked and really enjoyed our company. After few hours, I finally asked about their age. Turns out that I played with 12 years old children! Well, at least they wrote in English really well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I used to do it as well. Thankfully, that's over. You can really get addicted to those kind of games. I did spend some money on small transactions, maybe once per three months. but one day I told myself "stop".
    I used to play RPG with my friends. But then they grew up, and so now I have noone to play with. It's a fantastiv game of imagination. So MMORPG took place of lost RPG sessions, but it's not the same. You already have visual aid.
    I tried to play WoW but got bored really quickly. I'd love to play Star Wars (I am a big fan of an old trilogy) but I have more important things to do on my computer. If I play something, it has to have an end, so I did play The Witcher and Dragons Age. That's it. It was fun, but again, not same thing as usual RPG.

    What's really cool (and uncool at the same time) is that you can be whoever you wan't. You pretend to be someone else for a moment. So yes, why not men who can be a women? Why not a kid who can be a grown up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think MMO games might be a lot of fun for some people, but personally I find them too time and life consuming. I like video games that I can play when I have absolutely nothing else to do, otherwise it feels like it's something that prevents me from doing something more useful enabling me to reach goals that I want to reach.

    That said, as a teenager I used to play more video games. I used to enjoy online gaming because of the social aspect - being able to meet people from all around the world and just enjoy playing and joking together. Very good experiences. At this point, however online gaming feels like I'm substituting real life relations for internet ones. I'd rather go out and meet someone in real life, experience the world than meet people on the internet. But the latter still feels better than doing something entirely alone. So it all depends on what's your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My comment on this post will be really short as my knowlege about the subject. I don't play any computer games, for me it's a waste of time. I don't think that the escape into a cybernetic world is better than a personal touch with people or some other forms of entertainment. Maybe it's fine for a short time but we cannot let ourselves blur the boundaries between the real and the fake world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be acurate I almost never play computer games. I don't even have any games on my cell phone. I am just not into it. When I was little I used to play such games as harry potter or the sims. In the last one I was only interested in decorating the house:P Hahaha
    I must admit that I have never heard about MMO. It can be very cool for those who spent a lot of time playing, because they can meet some new interesting(for them) people. But they have to be carefull not to get addicted, which is quite easy refering to the video games.

    All i all I agree with Kasia Kmieć - for me video games is a completely waste of time and I prefer to do something in a "real" world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So far I've played only a few MMO games. In most cases, it didn't last long. Beside that, it's impossible for me to pay for any game more than once. Generally, most of MMO titles refer more or less to magic, which is not something that I enjoy. Last game that I used to play for some time was World of Tanks but even that adventure ended after few weeks.
    Since few weeks (months) I'm focused on real life rather than virtual in-game life. Spending 90% of work time in front of the computer screen is definitely enough for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't play games for several years. They take a lot of time, and an active work and school, unfortunately, doesn't allow for much free time. But I remember times when I came home and switched on the computer. Virtual friends, clans and playing half the night. Terrible.

    I wonder what is so attractive in games? People can lose control over their lives.

    I think that the monthly fee for games such as World of Warcraft is not only a waste of time but also money :(.

    ReplyDelete
  8. MMO say what? just joking... I know what it is.
    How people can play games whole life? I stopped playing games when i was young, now i don't have time for that. I prefer real people rather than virtual friends.
    I agree with Łukasz, how people can still pay for it?
    I hope there aren't many of them here, because I will be lynched.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back in the day I had a lot of friends playing games like WOW. I never really saw the point in those games, especially that they had to buy the game and then pay a membership fee in order to be able to play online. My first thought was “wow, what a brilliant developer”, however that was not the only reason keeping me away from those kind of games, I personally don’t really need a second virtual life. Anyhow, I’m not a fan of those games but World of Tanks looks pretty sweet…

    ReplyDelete